Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

rosy
Beginner July 2007

Help needed finding Tomato Frito

rosy, 6 July, 2008 at 20:38 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

Evening everyone ?

I recently tried a pasta sauce a friend had made with the tomato base being heinz tomato frito.... it was lovely,had garlic and hint of onion in it so slightly more tasty than traditional passata. Anyway, I wanted to try it for myself, but cannot find it in my local Tesco or Asda. Does anyone know where I can get it from? It was not that long ago so I doubt it has been discontinued.... ??

12 replies

Latest activity by Trickers, 17 May, 2012 at 09:45
  • WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

Sainsbuggers does different types of passata, with herbs, onions, garlic, peppers etc in it.

• Elle
    Elle ·
    • Hide content

You could try making your own - fry an onion in quite a bit of olive oil, add a couple of cloves of garlic and fry until translucent. Add a tin of tomatoes and some oregano and bring to a simmer for about 20 mins. Take it off the heat and add a large handful of shredded basil, some salt and some pepper. Blitz it with a stick blender (do it in a pot rather than a frying pan), and if it is too thick, add a bit of vegetable stock. It's delicious!

• rosy
    Beginner July 2007
    rosy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls..... those sound lovely but I fear, too much work for my unskilled kitchen hands!! xx

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

I didnt think opening a carton of the stuff and pouring it out was too much work!

• Elle
    Elle ·
    • Hide content

Honestly, it's piss easy - you don't even need a stick blender, just chop the onion up finer.?

• rosy
    Beginner July 2007
    rosy ·
    • Hide content

Perhaps I wil give it a try then as I cant find it anywhere. It had a kinda sweet taste to it.

• Elle
    Elle ·
    • Hide content

Add a pinch of sugar to counteract the acidity of the tomatoes- not too much though!

• rosy
    Beginner July 2007
    rosy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks I may just give it a try, these things are often tastier when you make the effort to make them yourself I am just lazy!!

• jelly baby
    jelly baby ·
    • Hide content

I've got it from Tesco in the past. Don't know whereabouts in the store though because I shop on the internet.

• Sare
    Beginner September 2002
    Sare ·
    • Hide content

Morrisons still stock it.

• F
    FostersFoods ·
    • Hide content

We’re still pushing on with the distribution of the Heinz Tomato Frito after the success of Delia’s programme & have been listening to the feedback on the forums regarding availability & postage costs. We’ve recently signed an agreement with Amazon to make the product available through them – it means the cost is considerably less for the customer. It’s £12 for a pack of 12 jars & postage is included as part of Amazon’s service. The product went live today & stock is due to arrive with Amazon next week – if people are interested in purchasing it they can order it & Amazon will email them when it arrives in stock.

Please see the link below

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heinz-Tomato-Frito-Onion-Garlic/dp/B0083TX4US/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1337185213&sr=8-7

The product is also still available through our customer base of independent retailers – people are more than welcome to contact customer services on **** or via our website for details of their local stockists.

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure after 4 years the OP managed to make some tomato sauce successfully...

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope so!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics