Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner November 2015

Help needed for clueless bride

Sherbill17, 6 of May of 2014 at 12:01 Posted on Planning 0 13

I really need help with a few things. I have 18 months until my wedding. I have booked the venue and ordered my dress and feel realy relaxed but friends and sisters keep telling me I should be cracking on with planning everything else but it seems like I have soooo much time yet. At what point should I be speaking with florists and having hair trials? Seems silly doing all of that now but am I being silly and running the risk of running out of time. I feel so relaxed about it but am I being too relaxed? I have another dilemma. I have selected my bridesmaid after sooooo much thought and my fiance and I have chosen friends that are special to both of us rather than just me. I have a feeling some friends have assumed I will choose them. At what point do I annouce my bridesmaids and do I need to 'break the news' to those that aren't or are they just being really presumptuous and should not assume? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

13 replies

Latest activity by bliss_balloons , 7 of May of 2014 at 13:13
  • charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Hi welcome to hitched! think you have done the important things, are you having the ceremony at the same place as the reception? if not maybe look at that. And maybe look around for photographers as they may be getting booked up quickly. Im sure there will be other advice on here. As for your friends. i dont think you have to break the news to them they are not bridesmaids....imo its an honour to be asked and they shouldnt presume xx

• W
    Beginner December 2014
    WinterBride14 ·
    • Hide content

You have loads of time. if you have 18 months, i'm assuming its a winter 2015 wedding? In which case, its not in the height of season. However, saying that it wouldnt hurt to start looking at photographers as some of these do get booked up well in advance. Florists, in my opinion can wait another 10 months & hair trials definitely wait till next year. If you google wedding planning checklists, there are loads you can download for free which gives you a timeline for when you should start to look at things. Before you book, buy or pay for anything else, get yourself some wedding insurance. Its relatively cheap & gives peace of mind.

Good luck. You've come to the right place.

• S
    Beginner November 2015
    Sherbill17 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, Yes we have gone for the same venue for both ceremony and reception and have even booked the registrar. A friend is a photographer so will be doing our photos, I think I can put my feet up for a bit ? everything else can wait for a good few months yet!. I don't feel I need to tell the non-bridesmaids but I have a feeling there is going to be some comeback when they discover it is not them - arrogant huh? I guess I just need to suck it up and stay true to what I want. Thanks so much for your advise xx

• S
    Beginner November 2015
    Sherbill17 ·
    • Hide content

Yes it is November 2015. I didn't think of a timeline so will definitely look in to thosem sounds like a great idea. Thanks so much for your advice xx

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Things like hair trials wont be needed til nearer the time. As long as tge important things are booked then by all means, stay relaxed haha! You can still hunt around for suppliers so when it comea to booking, you know what you want straightaway :-)

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Yes i think you can definately chill for a bit. it depends on whats important to you, i booked my registar and reception 13 months in advance, then put deposits on photographer and cars, then looked around and bought my dress, then chilled for a bit, then sorted out my bridesmaids dresses out, hope to chat more xx

• S
    Beginner November 2015
    Sherbill17 ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm pretty organised so maybe that's why I feel so chilled about it all. The most important thing for me is not becoming a Birdezilla I really want to try and stay chilled and stress as little as possible. We have decided on theme, types of flowers and bridesmaid dress colour, we even know what favours we want. I have my wedding ring as it is a family heirloom. I think I have everything in my head so it just seems to the outside that I am not organised ? I see your wedding is just a few months away, you must be very excited? How many bridesmaids do you have and was it easy for you to select them? xx

• charliejack
    Beginner October 2014
    charliejack ·
    • Hide content

Yes i get married october 17th. its a register office wedding with hotel reception afterwards, we have 2 bridesmaids and a flower girl. One is my fiances daughter, she is 14, the other is my 30 year niece and the flower girl is her daughter who is 5. as they are family it wasnt too hard at all but i have another friend who i would have liked but only known her a couple of years and money is quite tight. But i asked her to be my witness at the wedding and she is sooo made up with that bless her. She has asked if she can buy a dress in the same colour as bridesmaids so i said yes and we are all happy lol xx

• AmyandRoss
    Beginner March 2015
    AmyandRoss ·
    • Hide content

Haha. I've got 10 months left and I still think I've plenty of time. We've booked the venue and registrar.... Oh and a photo booth. I tried on a few dresses last week and I think I've found one I love but I've not purchased it yet.

I'm intending on leaving everything for a few months still I think.

X

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

We had just under 18 months to plan our wedding and we got all the main things booked quickly (venue, registrar, tog, dress, flowers, DJ). Personally I'm glad we did those things fairly early on as it meant we didn't have to stress at all.

Yes you still have a fairly long time, but it's not that long in wedding terms as good suppliers get booked well in advance. It doesn't hurt to get things done in advance.

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

Much like J9, ours is an 18 month timeline too, as we got engaged in July 2013. We booked venues (church and hotel) at the end of August (after I'd managed to drag OH around a few places), I ordered my wedding dress in October and bought bridesmaids' dresses in November. Mum's outfit and hat also sorted in November as well as hair and makeup ladies.

Then booked the photographer in January after a bit of looking around over Christmas, and started looking at other bits and pieces after that. We've just confirmed cake and about to book florist, OH is taking on cars and mini-moon and I'm looking at the "real" honeymoon in 2015.

Our biggies left are: finalising guest list, ordering invitations (already chosen but waiting for order of service confirmation), mens' suits, my wedding ring (his is a family heirloom).

After that, it's fitting in to all the appointments that come with things we've already decided on: dress fittings (from July), menu tasting, stag/hen dos, hair and make up trial etc...

I've felt fairly in control all along at this pace, and it sounds to me that you are as far, if not further, along so sit back with your feet up and have a cuppa. Or even a g&t since it seems to have gone 4.30 while I've been writing this. Cheers! ?

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content

You've still got plenty of time to do stuff at a leisurely pace I reckon... Suppliers will start to get booked up from around about now so if you have a particular supplier in mind for something it might be worth getting in touch, but otherwise just enjoy it all Smiley smile

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

You've done more than me and I've got 15 months left. I don't feel like there's much to do at the moment until I go dress shopping at the end of June. No harm in looking round at ideas now so you know what you want when it's time to get more sorted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics