Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner May 2016

Help needed- thinking of cancelling the big wedding for a smaller wedding

ExcitedB2B16, 16 of October of 2014 at 11:10

Posted on Planning 39

Hi, I am new to the forum and just really needed some help and advice. I've been reading the forums for a while and just plucked up the courage to write my first message. We got engaged early this year and I was so excited we got planning straight away, we've gone for the big white wedding (minus...

Hi,

I am new to the forum and just really needed some help and advice. I've been reading the forums for a while and just plucked up the courage to write my first message.

We got engaged early this year and I was so excited we got planning straight away, we've gone for the big white wedding (minus church) which I thought is what I wanted. Previously we had spoken about getting married abroad but I couldn't face not having everyone there.

The more planning we do, the more I am thinking I don't want this big white wedding and I want it to be about me and H2B. I really don't know what to do or where to even start looking if we do go for intimate/abroad. The whole point if we change plans is to not be spending as much money as we are now and for it to be about us.

Any thoughts/advice would be greatly received!

x

39 replies

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExcitedB2B16 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, glad I am not the only person. Did you lose much money from cancelling? I just don't know where to start looking for alternatives. How did you both come to the decision that you was going to cancel everything you already had planned? I feel like it's all I think about at the moment and going round and round in circles.

Thank you so much, I am not sure if you can private message on here (very new)xx

• S
    Beginner May 2016
    Sparty ·
    • Hide content

Hi again.

We decided to look into costs for going abroad so the first thing I did was to jump onto google. I knew I didn't want to go further than Spain, Portugal or Italy as we did want to invite quite a few people and didn't want it to be unachievable for them to come. So all I did was search 'weddings in Italy', 'weddings in Spain' and so on. I stumbled across my venue (Sorrento, Italy) on the Ionian Weddings website. The daytime ceremony is at San Francesco Cloisters (It's the town hall and looks like an old monastery - you get married in the courtyard in the centre and the outside looks beautiful with flowers hanging over the arches). Reception is in the Lemon Gardens Restaurant.

After I had found this website I carried on looking for other venues and packages in Spain etc. but kept coming back to this one because I just thought it looked so lovely. And so different to other weddings I have been to. I wanted to make sure I was making the right decision which is why I kept looking but this was def the place for me. What I liked about the website as well was that all the details of the packages were there from the outset. I got frustrated with some websites which didn't give any details other than 'we can plan you an amazing day and tailor it to just what you want'. I liked that what you see is what you get.

But there are lovely places all over Europe if you want to stay close by - have you thought about Gibraltar? You can get married in a Botanical Gardens there which was another option I considered. Plus flights there for guests are pretty good value I think.

Happy to chat more in detail if you want (and if you can figure out a way to PM!!) Smiley smile

xx

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Were getting married in luvattumaa ice gallery. The is a little chapel in levi Finland but it will be a non religious ceremony. We land the Sunday, get married the weds and thurs is New Year's Eve so we get to celebrate there too. My partners immediate family can't attend due to illness but were going to Skype the ceremony and have a party back home with a photographer so we won't loose out on photos etc. its been so easy to plan with the help of a fantastic wedding planner which I never thought it would be! If it feels like the right thing to do for you then do it! You plan on only doing it once so don't settle for other ppl. I would be gutted if my dad couldn't walk me down the isle but in all honesty I'd go ahead with the plans anyway as it's what we have our hearts set on :-)

• S
    Beginner July 2015
    suzannelewington ·
    • Hide content

Hi excitedb2b16. Not sure how pm works either but feel free to email me ****************@*****.**.**. we lost.deposit for nearly everythin was probably about 1600 maybe bit more. But I managed to get some back from venue. Ive decided to use the cake lady for cupcakes at our uk party when we get back so wont lose that either. Basically my partner spoke to me one morning before work and told me the whole uk wedding was stressing him out as we r payin for it ourselves, we couldnt afford to invite his whole family to the day, and if think the politics were getting to him to. He had always had ideas of going abroad. Anyway when I thought about it, I wanted my partner to have an amazing day too and feel.comfortable. so we cancelled everything! Family were a bit shocked but all immediate family are booked to come and close friends. And I can honestly say im so happy we did it. Wedding is starting to looking amazing for me. We chose a brand new 5 star hotel in cyprus where we will get married on a pier overlooking the sea and then after canapes we r having reception on a private yacht! All this and uk party including dress etc will cost £12k. We r gonna have the wedding we want and couldnt be happier xx hope that helps xx

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExcitedB2B16 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello,

Sounds amazing, I am going to start looking in to it this week and see what we come up with. You are so right it is very frustrating when they don't have prices up on the website, maybe it is to get us to contact them! If we are doing it abroad I just want to know it's going to be right.

I will have a look at Gibraltar, never even thought of there Smiley smile Thank you so much. Ha, not worked it out yet - might take me a while!!

Thank you so much for your help xx

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExcitedB2B16 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Sounds amazing, OH did make a point that I am always cold so can't imagine getting married somewhere cold! He knows me better then I know myself sometimes!! Is your wedding planner here or in Finland?

This is the main problem is I'd love to have my family there so trying to find something that isn't overly expensive for them to come too! x

• E
    Beginner May 2016
    ExcitedB2B16 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi again,

Sorry had a bit of a break over the weekend! I will get round to sending you an email as it's probably easier then going back and forth on here. I am so glad I am not the only person that has changed my mind, I feel awful that I have changed my mind but feeling like it's the right decision. I just really don't want to regret it. When did you give your guests notice so they could book flights etc?

Thank you so much, you've made me feel a lot better

xxx

• Lapland2015
    Beginner December 2015
    Lapland2015 ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding planner is in Finland but we chose her because other brides on here have planned with her and all spoke highly of her. She also plans weddings in Greece :-) were going over new year so naturally it's going to cost a lot but if you go during term time it's much cheaper than ud think esp with log cabins! If you can I'd look at term dates as most places reduce prices and you could look at booking all together so you might get a discount on accomodation etc x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics