Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner May 2016

Help needed with finding our photographer (Essex)

Arabella16, 5 of March of 2015 at 08:59 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi everyone, this is my first 'new' post, so hello all! We got engaged in September and have set a date for May 2016 with the venue and church now booked, and having read some of the advice of you lovely hitchers I have realised that I need to get my photographer booked asap before they all get booked up!

Having picked up on the tips on here we have decided that we would ideally like:

-Full day coverage including before ceremony/getting ready up to after the first dance

-Digital only package with around 500+ images ideally (and then we will add an album at some point in the future if we have the money)

-A team of 2 photographers (I know this isn't for everyone but for me its important to capture OHs side of the morning and the guests arriving at the church etc as otherwise I will never see these moments!)

-A mixed style of storybook candid but also more formal shots. And a photographer who is happy to pull the little groups of guests in for a quick snap in a subtle way as we would love to capture groups of friends/family who arent in the formal shots, so that we have photos of them when they have a chance to 'smile for the camera' as well as the more candid ones throughout the day.

A lot of requirements I know, but we are trying to follow the tip of working out what we want before searching!

So two questions now;

1. we have found a photographer that meets all of the above and he was a very nice guy we met at the wedding show at Olympia - his price for the package matching what we wanted was £1550. Is this a reasonable price? I really have no idea so don't know whether thats a good price and we should snap him up or if we should search and shop around for something a little cheaper that will do the same? We could stretch to this if this is the price that we should be expecting for what we want.

2. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for Essex photographers they have come across who are able to do the above?

Sorry for the long post, this is just stressing me out a little as OH is happy for me to choose but I am a little out of my depth/overwhelmed by all of the options out there and would love any advice.

Thanks so much in advance xx

13 replies

Latest activity by Arabella16, 10 of March of 2015 at 21:50
  • Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

We're a 2 person team based in Essex who meet all your requirements Smiley smile

If you want to have a look at our work to see if it's the kind of style you're looking for, our website is www.samandlouise.co.uk

In terms of cost, that's a reasonable price to pay for a full time, professional photographer who's work you love. With photography, although it's hard, you just can't go on price alone. You will most definitely find cheaper, but sometimes people are cheaper for a reason.

Good luck & congratulations on your engagement!

• Anna Zofka Photography
    Anna Zofka Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

£1550 is reasonable. Based on the information you provided it looks like we may be a good match for you in terms of style and location (just a few miles north of the Essex border). Plus a comparable package for 2016 would be £1100. Feel free to have a browse on our website and let us know if you would like to see some full wedding galleries or if you have any more questions.

www.annazofka.com

Best

Anna & Andy

• Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi Arabella,

Photography comes in all shapes and sizes with differing levels of quality. It's difficult to say if they're any good without seeing their work, website or even, meeting them in person.

For example, my starting price is £1495 for cover and image supply only. No second photographer and no book. Take away the cost of a decent, experienced second shooter (£300-£500), and a decent album (£500) and you could be paying the equivalent £700(ish) for cover alone.

£700 for cover is really low and it's all relative. The important thing is that if you love their work, and that their photos grab you in a consistent way then there's nothing to worry about.

Similarly there are photographers who charge £500 for the same and would say your choice was over priced.

Go with your gut ?

• B
    Bruce Neville Photography ·
    • Hide content

Same what Chris said above really, just make sure you see full weddings with no less than 200 -300 images. Good luck?

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you soooo much for all of your help, tips, suggestions and pricing guides - it really has made things make more sense and put into perspective the costings!! :-)

I am still not 100% decided so will check out your websites thank you.

You have all been brilliant so thank you so much :-) x

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Seems like a reasonable price, you might be able to find cheaper but remember to prioritise the quality and style of photography over a couple of hundred quid saved, you'll be looking at these photos for the rest of your life so if you find one you love plump for it!

• J
    Beginner February 2014
    Joanaa ·
    • Hide content

Hello Arabella,

you can take a look at this website: http://peterlanephotography.co.uk

I have no idea about the prices.. but I love this photography style, maybe you'll like it too Smiley smile

All the best, Joanna! Xxx

• B
    • Hide content

"Re: Help needed with finding our photographer (Essex)

By Joanaa in Wedding Planning

Hello Arabella,
    you can take a look at this website: http://spamming.co.uk
    I have no idea about the prices.. but I love this photography style, maybe you'll like it too Smiley smile
    All the best, Joanna! Xxx"

When will you stop spamming Hitched with your own photography company^^^^^^^ Joanaa/mary/sarah what ever your new name is now Smiley sad

• Pink Roses
    Beginner July 2016
    Pink Roses ·
    • Hide content

Hi Arabella,

I'm getting married in 2016 too!

My OH is a wedding photographer and personally I haven't found anyone who creates better wedding photographs than him. If he wasn't the Groom he would have been doing our wedding photographs! Luckily he has a lot of photography colleagues and friends who are really good, so we are covered for the wedding as they know exactly what we want (I'm leaving all the photography stuff to my OH, he's the professional!)

If you did want my OH contact details etc PM me and I can send you the details, even if you just want to have a look at his portfolio and decide from there ?

Good luck with all your wedding planning!

• B
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Is your OH a Hitched supplier?

• C
    CGWeddingPhotography ·
    • Hide content

Hi Arabella16,

I am not sure if you have booked someone already or not, but I believe I would be the perfect match to your requirements. At the moment offering a package including 2 photographers (more info on my site). I am based in Hertfordshire so very close to you. I do traditional elements too, but I am more into fun, modern and beautiful elements overall. Please take a look at my site if you are after an energetic photographer Smiley smile

Re the other photographer:

It really varies between photographers. Some can be amazing at 1550 for two photographers, some simply charge that much as they are well experienced medium quality photographers and some charge that much as they can sell themselves even if they are not as good. I would highly advise you to take a look few of their FULL weddings from the beginning till the very end. It is easy to put 15-20 nice shots on the blog from a wedding, but again it is a totally different thing to provide that superb quality from bridal prep to first dance.

The decision is only yours depending on how good or ideal you find that photographer to your needs and how much do you value photography. Someone like Chris Giles mentioned above might be bit more expensive and you need to stretch your budget, but then you get really superb work. Fingers crossed that you will find the right photographer to your needs Smiley smile

• Minna Rossi Photography
    Minna Rossi Photography ·
    • Hide content

Hi Arabella,

Congrats on your engagement Smiley smile As the others mentioned above, the main thing is you like their work, see full galleries to check out the consistency of their photography and as a person they are someone you "click" with.

If you are still considering your options, please have a look at www.minnarossi.com. I'm a friendly female photographer based in North East London and mainly shoot in quite a natural, relaxed style, but am also happy to do pretty detail shots and more formal, posed portraits.

Good Luck with planning your wedding! Smiley smile

Best Wishes,

Minna x

• N
    Beginner July 2016
    Nicki4884 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya.

Have a look at Ayshea Goldberg Photography, www.ajg-photography.co.uk

She is our photographer for our wedding in July 2016, we had a meeting with her and went through the style of photos we would like and things we definitely didn't want and she really took on board all of our ideas and suggested her own, she offers a set price for weddings which I thought was very reasonable. She is such a lovely lady too.

• A
    Beginner May 2016
    Arabella16 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for your help, advice and suggestions all - I really appreciate it and will definitely check out all of the links and recommended photographers :-) thanks so much! Xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics