Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner December 2016

Help! Oyster & Ivory Dress - what do i do for bridesmaids?

b2be1, 15 of June of 2015 at 04:57 Posted on Planning 0 7

I tried on and fell in love with a Justin Alexander dress which is Oyster with an Ivory lace overlay. I absolutely LOVE it but I'm starting to freak out a bit about bridesmaid colours. I had my heart set on a platinum/charcoal colour but now I dont think it will work. I'm considering Oyster dresses from Dessy but i dont know how the colour will match/clash with my Oyster (and will it bring out the oyster in my dress and make it look less Ivory?)

I'd love to see other peoples pics who have had similar colour issues to see what works. Or even open to hearing opinions!
Here's my dress for reference....

7 replies

Latest activity by b2be1, 16 of June of 2015 at 13:01
  • S
    Beginner December 2015
    SunnyPinkConfetti310 ·
    • Hide content

The dress is gorgeous, and looks really beautiful on you. I personally wouldn't try and match anything to the colour in your dress, but I think platinum is sufficiently different that it won't look like you're trying to match to your dress, and it will go beautifully.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thats right - one suppliers ivory is another ones oyster, vintage white, cream, light gold, off white, so you cannot always just go by the names of colours

• jaijai85
    Beginner October 2015
    jaijai85 ·
    • Hide content

I was in a smiliar situation to you. my dress is alabaster ivory with a lace overlay so is quite a dark ivory. I have gone for charcoal grey bridesmaid dresses and dusky pink flowers. they all tie in really well together and look lovely.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Your dress is beautiful!

I think your idea of platinum or charcoal dresses will work well.

If you wanted to go for a bit of colour, I think dark shades would work e.g. dusky pink, sage green or a dusky purple.

HTH.

• B
    Beginner December 2016
    b2be1 ·
    • Hide content

I appreciate your response. Can i please ask your opinion as a photographer? We're having a winter wedding and i'm concerned that on an overcast or rainy day the dress is going to appear grey or almost dirty. I've a few pics in natural/artifical lighting and from different angles and it shows up differntly in each one.

Are there any tricks of the trade used by photographers that can improve lighting on a dull day that may stop this happening?

Thanks!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

As your wedding is 29th December one of the most important things when choosing your photographer is to make sure that you see whole weddings taken at the same time of year, because it is all too easy to show beautiful sunny summer wedding samples, your photographer needs to demonstrate that they have had experience shooting weddings in flat low light and indoors. Like this kind of stuff

A lot of the control in how your dress will appear will be down to careful editing afterwards, not all photographers even do their own editing and some even send them off to the far east, which can in my opinion lead to color problems because the editor was not there and dose not have the benefit of seeing the dress in real life and so instead would go for an over all correction which dose not always complement the dress.

But because of its colour and the detail, your dress is one that I find always photographs well in any light.

• B
    Beginner December 2016
    b2be1 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much! My concern isn't that my photographer isn't capable, my photo's are the MOST important thing to me so I have done my research. I've just been worried sick that the oyster colour (which can look grey) may look more grey in dim or dull lighting

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics