Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pittabre

Help please - tips needed for doing things with one arm

Pittabre, 23 of April of 2015 at 09:12 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

I have dislocated my right shoulder. Can't use it for min. 6 weeks. Dominant arm. Need tips on how to cope with one arm, as single parent to two small children. Friends have been fab. Can now brush teeth left handed and got the hang of going to the toilet. Only taken me since Sunday. 6 year old helping me get dressed. Not ideal. Got all hair chopped off to make it easier and when cane will donate to little princess trust. Will take ages to reply but can read normal speed so long reples appreciated [;D]

12 replies

Latest activity by Pittabre, 30 of April of 2015 at 12:11
  • WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Oh no! What happened? No tips sorry as not been in this situation before! Hope you recover quickly! Bless your 6 year old helping you get dressed x

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Gardening Sunday morning. Walked across garden. Fell over. Popped shoulder out! Thank you for replying ?

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Oh ouch! I had a garden related incident this week, crouched down tugging on a large weed, it came out of the ground rather swiftly and I ended up wrapped around a rose bush, I've got scratches all over my arse!! hahaha

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Ouch! No useful tips I'm afraid but I hope you aren't in too much pain! Are you getting physio?

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Sorry, no advice, but ouch! That must be painful. I'd be useless if I had to everything with just my left arm. Hope you recover quickly!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, I hope you're OK! I'd be hopeless without my right hand. You do adapt to it though (I dislocated my knees a while back) so I hope you're finding things a bit easier, or at least you do soon!

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Sounds very painful and inconvenient. I haven't been in this position myself, but I have a friend who lost her forearm to cancer when she was a kid, it might not be quite the samecas you, as she can still use her upper right arm, whereas it sounds like you are completely imobile, but there are a few things she's told me about:

Front fastening clothes are easier to manage than anything with buttons or a zip on the back, and as much as possible fasten things before you put them on and pull them over your head. Slip on or zip fastening shoes are easier than lace-ups.

Use kitchen scissors to cut up your food before you get to the table, cutting a steak/chicken breast/cooked veg/strands of spaghetti with scissors is far easier with one hand than trying to use a knife, and once youre at the table it's all in bitesize pieces and you only need a fork to eat.

you'll find that often all you need the second hand for is to stabilise things, she recommends going barefoot around the house, apparently it's surprising how often you can hold things with thour toes, or anchor it with your knee, but you might need more space than normal so try to keep your surfaces uncluttered.

You can get tools designed for people with arthritis, for opening bottles and jars etc, I'm not sure where you can get them from, but my friend finds they help her open things with just one hand.

Good luck and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• L
    Beginner
    Lister ·
    • Hide content

No tips but oh my gods P as if you needed this! I hope you manage and I am wishing you a speedy recovery xx

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

Sorry this has happened to you. I broke my arm when I was little and the only thing I can remember that was used was a big piece of elastic wrapped around a table to help hold my books and stuff in place so I could still do all my work. Don't think that it'll help your situation though.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry to hear this Pittabre. How are you getting on?

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I lost the use of my right hand when I was around 10 for a few months. I had to learn to write with my left hand and I know how tricky it can be!

When I injured my arm a few years ago I kept it in a sling to stop myself from using it. Things were really difficult but I did manage!

My way of putting my hair in a ponytail was to lie on the edge of my bed so my hair was hanging down then just scoop it into a ponytail from there, don't know if that's of any use!

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

Get someone to help you with your capital letters whilst you are typing.

Tell them it's shift work.

(Sorry, couldn't resist).

Hope it improves soon.

• Pittabre
    Pittabre ·
    • Hide content

Howdy? my right hadn can now grip which helps massively. Have bought clothes two sizes too big to make it easier to get on. Can now do a Joey with my bra. My arm is an interesting light purple/red and was obviously bruised right down to the core and its gradually coming out if that makes sense?

My hair is too short for a pony tail now, possibly even too short for a ahir clip but it makes it much easier to manage.

Have a friend coming round to do the cat trays which is a massive help.

Sleeping is still difficult though☹️

Can't wait to be able to drive again?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics