Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Emma S
Beginner June 2012

HELP! Pregnant bridesmaid!

Emma S, 24 October, 2011 at 20:37

Posted on Planning 190

Hi all, My bridesmaid called me last night to tell me that she is expecting. We, along with my other bridesmaid, were planning to go bridesmaid dress shopping this weekend. She has told me that she still wants to be my bridesmaid, even though she think she is due 20 days after the wedding! So, how...

Hi all,

My bridesmaid called me last night to tell me that she is expecting.

We, along with my other bridesmaid, were planning to go bridesmaid dress shopping this weekend.

She has told me that she still wants to be my bridesmaid, even though she think she is due 20 days after the wedding!

So, how do I go about this? When do I order her dress? One thing that I really wanted is for the girls to be in matching dresses - is this now still possible? Also, where can I get maternity bridesmaid dresses from?

Please help as I am now starting to stress! The wedding is in June.

Thank you! xx

190 replies

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

In what context do you use the word "appropriate"? "Appropriate" for what?

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wouldn't have a baby with a man if I didn't think he was capable of looking after him/her for a few hours whilst I was being bridesmaid.

• Nubbin
    Beginner January 2012
    Nubbin ·
    • Hide content

Hahaha...that made me 'LOL' in an empty office....

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Presumably you do at least understand the difference between 'big all over' and 'small except for a huge belly bump that's an obvious pregnancy'?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Whichever way I say it I'm sure someone will choose to get offended and keep bashing away at a point that is an opinion that really doesn't need to be explained.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes. I'm just trying to understand it right.

If you're wildly obese, you'll look fine in a wedding party.

If you're wildly obese and 9 months pregnant, you'll look fine in a wedding party.

If you're skinny, you'll look fine in a wedding party.

If you're skinny and 9 months pregnant, you wont look fine in a wedding party.

*shrugs* I just don't get it.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

The reason people are "bashing away" as you put it, is to try and understand why the chuff you believe pregnant (not fat, pregnant) women cannot be bridesmaids. If you answered reasonably, maybe this thread would be left alone. Thus far, this has not happened.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The problem with this ploy, AJ (because I think it is a ploy, one you use frequently), is that you risk looking like you have no conviction, that you are, in fact, trolling ? If you offer an opinion on a public forum in the context of a debate, it should be quite straightforward to explain it, indeed I think it implicit in the offering of an opinion that you are able and willing to explain its origins.

I suspect, in this case, you have a reason that you don't want to share because it's an ugly one, which you fear will bring recrimination.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What 'recrimination'? This is an internet forum.

There is no rule against holding, or sharing, unpopular opinions that do not comply with the 'herd mentality' of some people round here. I don't answer to any of you, I don't have to explain myself even though I've tried a number of times and still the point is missed, to the point which whatever I say is going to get someone arguing back, over a point which let's face it actually doesn't really matter to anyone else except the bride and groom, and their pregnant bridesmaid.

I find it amusing how various people are 'demanding' that I "explain myself" when nobody who supports pregnant bridesmaids is being asked to explain why - it's just "accepted" that it is "ok" and that's the end of it.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We're asking you to explain yourself the same way we would if you said you wouldn't have a black bridesmaid, or a lesbian for a bridesmaid, or a disabled bridesmaid or any other variation you wish to add. No one supporting pregnant bridesmaids needs to explain themselves because there's no reason not to have a pregnant bridesmaid! Unless that person themelves decided they didn't feel up to it.

• Nubbin
    Beginner January 2012
    Nubbin ·
    • Hide content

Would it be okay to have a pregnant bride?

*runs off into the distance*

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

*facepalm*

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This doesn't happen, does it?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

... because the choice of the bridesmaids is entirely up to the couple!

I wouldn't have been happy with a heavily pregnant bridesmaid at our wedding. End of story.

Why should that be any different than not being happy with "Sanda" as a bridesmaid because she dyes her hair pink?

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is different. This is something that you actually *could* debate.

For example, a pregnant bride would mean she's having sex before marriage, which, although not so much nowadays, used to be fround upon by the Christian religion.

A pregnant bridesmaid, however, is just beyond me!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't hold this view, by the way, but can see why some people would.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

... and the majority of other 'mainstream religions' in this UK.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?? God darn it, why?!?!

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

It's not but I would be asking you the same questions.

You pick your bridesmaids for who they are, not what they look like in photos.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

... and maybe, just maybe, we wouldn't be friends with people who dyed their hair silly colours? Or were covered in tattoos? Or had all sorts of bizarre piercings?

• Nubbin
    Beginner January 2012
    Nubbin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know, - I was just being a little terror Smiley smile

I am struggling to see the significance of a preggo BM. If you were the kind of person who didn't like it aesthetically then you are an idiot but fair enough, that's up to you.

But as far as I am aware, there can't be many moral objections?

Like you said, beyond me!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Or were pregnant...

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

You don't have to explain yourself. You might feel it polite to explain your viewpoint, once offered in such a matter-of-fact and pious manner. Saying "It doesn't look right" isn't the bottom line of your viewpoint. One can only imagine why you might feel it doesn't look right - I suspect your puritanical streak is emerging Smiley smile

Without being willing to expand, you have simply dropped a bomb into a conversation and then run away to hide, possibly with your fingers in your ears, saying "la-la-la". As I said before, that's trolling.

• Houdini
    Beginner August 2010
    Houdini ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

What's that got to do with it?! <Confused> That was your point, mine is about pregnant bridesmaids and I refer you back to my point that you pick your bridesmaids for who they are and not how they look in photos.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

.. but the key point, of "pregnant bridesmaids", surely is that the issue only comes up pre-wedding, and since you and I are both the other side of the big day and here as OM's, it doesn't actually matter whether we would or wouldn't have had pregnant bridesmaids as, like me, I'm sure you aren't planning on getting married again at some point in the future.

I'm sure that, when - if - our time comes, my lovely wife will be a lovely pregnant wife too. If by some strange chance she is asked to be a bridesmaid at the same time then I'm sure she will make the decision that is best for her and our child, based on the factors which are in place at that time, many of which have been discussed at length elsewhere in this thread.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You might. Others might not.

• KatalinaNastyCough
    Beginner November 2011
    KatalinaNastyCough ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Precisely this!

Oh and while I'm at it EFTLOMBS with bells on - FTLOMB you are far more eloquent than I am, but you hit the nail on the head entirely!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Aj - if I said that I wouldn't have an obese bridesmaid, would you not think it was pretty inappropriate? What if I said that I like the way a pregnant bridesmaid looks but not a fat one?

FWIW, I didn't give a sh!t what my girls looked like, I chose them because I loved them.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You're still avoiding the question we're asking.

What doesn't "look right" about a pregnant bridesmaid??

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your wedding, your choice...

• Soulmates
    Beginner August 2012
    Soulmates ·
    • Hide content

Would you have this man as your best man?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics