Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner April 2021

Help required for certificate and photography

Lampedusa1122, 5 of April of 2020 at 23:40 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi everyone,

First time posting.

I have a question regarding the certificate after it has been signed and photography.

My mum has told me that right after the certificate is signed, the registrar takes it away so that if there are photographs taken there are no mistakes on it, like a rogue pen mark.

Is that true or are there laws that the certificate can’t be photographed? It’s one part of the ceremony that I’ve always found a bit awkward and cumbersome so would only be looking to have two pictures, at the most, taken at that point.

Any guidance would be helpful.

Thanks

6 replies

Latest activity by Michal, 29 of November of 2020 at 23:38
  • Chris Giles Photography
    Chris Giles Photography ·
    • Hide content

They take the certificate away and replace it with a dummy page for photos.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

During the actual signing you are not supposed to take any photos (or video ) its all about not "copying" the details on the registrar including signatures as it is a legal document containing personal info. So once it has officially been signed as Chris says the book is swapped with an empty one to use if you want a traditional "signing the register" shot.

I have noticed though that some Vicars are not so strict in taking away and replacing with a "dummy one"

Another bit of info on the ink used - it is special long lasting ink, I have always known it as being called "100 year ink" but don't think that is its name and also it is supposed to last much longer than that.

That is another reason the book is swapped with a dummy one - just in case the entrys already in there get damaged with ink from the pen. Most will also give you an empty pen for the dummy shot - just watch out they don't give you a crappy biro - not a good look on the photos. ?

• L
    Beginner April 2021
    Lampedusa1122 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! Much appreciated

• Mintyslippers
    Mintyslippers ·
    • Hide content

Registrars always take it away and replace with a dummy. They claim it's data protection but after talking to the actual 'king' registar in London he explained that it's a public document, anyone can request a copy so the data protection is nonsense. Some registrars are just sticking to an old rule or just dont want anyone being a distraction during the actual signing.

But worry not, they replace it with a dummy anyway for photos.

• L
    Beginner April 2021
    Lampedusa1122 ·
    • Hide content
    Is this the same in Scotland?
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

You could try telling the photographer to ignore this part of the ceremony if you don't want the photos - although we told ours that, and he completely ignored us and insisted on taking the pics anyway!

Actually, it ended up giving us one of our favourite wedding shots - they were fussing so much over these unwanted shots that it suddenly struck us as funny and we both started laughing. The photographer got a picture of us both in stitches, which we've put in our wedding album... Unlike the register 'signing' shots, which we've ignored!

• Michal
    South Yorkshire
    Michal ·
    • Hide content

You get a dummy certificate for the photos. We're not allowed to take photos of the actual register :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics