Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

V
Beginner March 2013

HELP REQUIRED - Small/Intimate lovely locations that wont break the bank in Essex / Hertfordshire area

viclou_84, 31 July, 2012 at 10:56 Posted on Planning 0 16

Hi all,

Myself and my partner brought a house 3 months ago and are now planning our wedding for summer 2013, therefore we have a very strict/tight budget.

I'm trying to find a venue that is small and intimate but also lovely, e.g. a little country hotel or even a beautiful pub, as I'll only be having 55 day guests and maybe another 10 in the eve. Do you know anywhere that could be suitable in and around Essex / Hertfordshire area?

After hours of internet research and emailing. I'm in shock at what some places quote the second you say wedding, they seem to think that you have some rich daddy warbucks just waiting in the wings to pick up the bill (god I wish!!!)

I'm prepared to do a lot of things myself to bring the price down (by that I mean make the cake - not pimp myself out) and I'm prepared to do venue only and have a hog roast or something, but I just want that lovely backdrop at the right price, does it exist anywhere?!?!

Any advice / ideas are really appreciated....

Thanks

Vicki. x

16 replies

Latest activity by viclou_84, 9 August, 2012 at 15:14
  • Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

Funnily enough l am looking in a vaguely similiar areas -Hertfordshire / Bucks / Berkshire and maybe Surrey. I am shocked at the crazy prices some venues are quoting. Like yourselves we want to buy a house before gettting married and consequently our wedding budget isn't huge.

I have literally just started the search for a venue but l will let you know how l get on!

• M
    Beginner
    Magserelli ·
    • Hide content

Hi vicky

What about this place in north Essex? https://www.whitehartweddingvenue.co.uk/essex-weddings.html

Been to a reception there & it was lovely. Gorgeous venue room & landscaped gardens for pics. I sat on a table with some of the Bridesmaids. From what she was saying, I think they do deals for off peak by season/weekday weddings too.

• V
    Beginner March 2013
    viclou_84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the recommendation, it looks lovely, I'll drop them an email to request some further info :-) x

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content

Have you thought about looking on groupon? They generally offer wedding packages every so often at various small hotels and you can get a very decent venue and all the extras for about 2-3K depending on the area. (50 days, 100 evening usually)

If I had to do it again, I would probably use one of those.

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/manchester-special/abbey-house-hotel/8669583

here is a really lovely one in the Lake District!

• C
    Beginner January 2012
    coolartist87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Another from today! Check it out brides!

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/northampton/Warwick-House/8639921

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I'm afraid I can't help but just wanted to offer a word of warning/advice: don't forget that you will have to pay a registrar to come and perform the ceremony. Some councils seem to charge more than others but it will probably be at least £400 on top of any fees charged by the venue itself. It will probably be cheaper to marry in the register office - there's still some fee, but it's generally not as large.

• D
    Davialle ·
    • Hide content

Try looking at schools. Some have really lovely halls, especially primary schools, and don't always advertise in the usual places. We found a local school that is gorgeous for only £450 (though obviously we have to do everything ourselves).

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Little Hallingbury mill is a lovely, intimate venue which is right on the border between Essex and Hertfordshire

(There's a little bridge over a river out the back, one side is Essex, the other Hertfordshire)

It's quirky, with lots of places for photos- including some space which is like an enchanted garden with a little stream bridge. It's very pretty.

The guy who runs it (Derek) is also wonderful and from what i've heard lets you have the run of the place.

We did a wedding there in June and it was superb.

There are some photos of it on our blog post about the wedding if you'd like a look http://pavonephotographyblog.co.uk/cherylandjackinwonderland/

The pictures of the venue itself that appear on google and on the website itself really don't do it justice.

• N
    Beginner August 2014
    NadineL ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at the old rectory in Dunton? its very sweet, and a lot easier on the budget than many places in Essex.

www.theoldrectoryweddingvenue.co.uk

• V
    Beginner March 2013
    viclou_84 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the recommendation, this looks lovely, very intimate and prices look reasonable, I'll drop them an email!!x

• V
    Beginner March 2013
    viclou_84 ·
    • Hide content

Little Hallingbury mill looks gorgeous, I've just dropped them an email!!

Thanks for the recommendation!!

• colldel1981
    Beginner August 2012
    colldel1981 ·
    • Hide content

Check BOXMOOR LODGE in Hemel Hempstead.Im getting married there next saturday,

Its very Intimate xx

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you end up going to visit or anything like that, mention us "Pavone Photography" and Derek will be able to give you one of our cards, which offers 25% off for weddings taking place there Smiley smile

It's really lovely, best of luck finding somewhere

• V
    Beginner March 2013
    viclou_84 ·
    • Hide content

It looks really nice, have an amazing day... not long now eek! x

• V
    Beginner March 2013
    viclou_84 ·
    • Hide content

Derek just got back to me actually, but I think my daytime numbers are a little too high as he can only accommodate 46 day guests and currently we're looking at around 55, eek, well maybe if I fall out with some people over the next month this could be an option!!

Thanks

Vic. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics