Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner July 2017

HELP! Searching for a wedding venue around Leeds/Harrogate/York area with fireworks

Lisat87, 5 of November of 2014 at 20:24 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all

My fiance and I have been searching endlessly for a wedding venue in the Leeds/Harrogate/York area. We are yet to find one that suits all of our needs.

We would like a venue that is quite minimal in terms of decoration, as we would like to dress the venue with lanterns, fairy lights etc. We are not keen on styles such as Allerton castle etc, its a bit too oldey worldey for us.

A venue that caters for 120 guest for a wedding breakfast.

Fireworks are a must

Must be able to have a civil ceremony.

If anyone has any suggestions at all that would be great!

9 replies

Latest activity by Harriet253, 5 of December of 2015 at 08:38
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Ahh I would've said Camp Katur who hold barn and outdoor weddings but not sure if they're licensed for civil ceremonies, I shot a humanist ceremony there. Shame cos the outdoor forest ceremony area is GORGEOUS!

• M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at the engine shed at Wetherby? It has a licence for ceremonies and has enough capacity for your guests not sure if they allow fire works though.

• M
    Beginner July 2015
    MrsB2015 ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married at temple Newsam house with a marquee reception on site (walled garden marquees) not sure on the fire works tho! Places with wildlife around u may have problems with xx

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married at the mansion in roundhay park.

the views are stunning, the place is not too over the top or dark (like some of the castles are) we are have 60-70 for the day and 100 at night. The staff there are very attentive, and they've put up with me bugging them non stop!

We we booked it within 2 weeks of getting engaged. We quickly made the decision we would not find anywhere better! I just filled in an enquiry form on their website and we had a viewing by the weekend, and booked it the middle of the next week!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried Nostell Priory in Wakefield - a bit out of your area but very easy to get to. The section of the house that has the weddings in is very different to the main house and not 'stately home' looking as such and has quite a minimalist look. Another option is Wentworth House in Barnsley. The weddings are in The Orangerie there and I know they do fireworks as they have a bonfire display there every year.

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

I really struggled with affordable venues in our neck of the woods. We are getting married at East Riddlesden Hall which is lovely but no fireworks and the catering has turned out to be much more expensive than anticipated as they have no kitchen/food prep area and the caterers need to bring that all in with them. They can seat your numbers though and it does have a license

Other places to look at;

Bolton Abbey Village Hall - No license, seats 100 people and don't know about fireworks but is in a lovely location (Mum and dad had their wedding reception there years ago!) Reasonable room hire.

Thackray Medical Museum - No license but close to Leeds city centre, yes to fireworks and seats 120 for food. Also has reasonable room hire

Cracoe Village Hall - seats 125 but don't know about fireworks. Don't think it has a license.

Places like village halls may be open to fireworks if you offer to pay for the license maybe?

Am sure there will but other village halls etc (or sports clubs?) I think the main issue for you will be somewhere with a license which will offer fireworks. Have you looked at marquee/tipi hire in a field? Wharfedale Grange is between Leeds and York and offers site hire that you can take all your own bits to!

Hope that helps! Let us know where you end up choosing!

• L
    Beginner July 2017
    Lisat87 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ladies

Thank you very much for your suggestions, they're all appreciated! We're going to have a look at the mansion in roundhay, also Sandburn hall and the kp club which are both outside of york. From pictures, it seems they are very much open to any decor. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any suggestions to a barn type venue that also allows fireworks? We enquired at the priory in Wetherby which looks beautiful however they don't allow them. We also went to look around Rudding park the other day but it just didn't do it for us (I seem to be choosy and im worried that I will never find a venue at this rate!)

xxx

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Have a look at Left Bank in Headingley. It's a decommissioned church with the interior stripped out - quite an impressive building. They have a civil marriage licence.

• L
    Beginner July 2017
    Lisat87 ·
    • Hide content

Looks like we may have found a venue that has everything we need and we're hopefully going to view it next week. It's middleton lodge in Richmond, does anyone have any experience of this venue at all and what we are to expect? I have literally fallen in love with it on paper and I have my fingers crossed that when we come to view it, that it will be even better!

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    Harriet253 ·
    • Hide content

Hey what was Middleton lodge like? We are going to viewit in a few weeks! So excited as it looks just stunning!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics