Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner April 2013

Help!! Skin Issues - Acne outbreak

Anchor, 25 of September of 2012 at 23:26 Posted on Planning 0 17

Hello Everyone,

I'm hoping that someone may be able to offer me some advice.

I have struggled with mild acne since being 12 years old, now I'm 28 and getting married in just 6months time my skin has decided to erupt!! My acne is the worst it's ever been. I came off the pill to get my body back to some form of normality, ready to start trying for a family after we get married. I'm assuming this has had huge consequences, my hormones have gone mental and my skin is awful. I can quite honestly say if my skin is still like this by the time we are due to marry I may well want to call the whole thing off. It's crippling my confidence

I have gone back on the pill now, GP's advice, but this could take months to improve.

Does anyone have any advice on treatments ie. lazer etc is it worth the money, does it work?

Help..... please!!?? [:'(]

17 replies

Latest activity by sairzz, 28 of September of 2012 at 10:36
  • Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I don't have any actual experience of treatments but I am concidering seeing a private dermatologist because of the breakouts I get- it is hard on your confidence isn't it Smiley sad Hope you get something sorted and feel better about it soon x

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

You could ask for roaccutane but it does really dry out skin so not ideal with the wedding. Cosmetically you could have a special laser treatment which uses light to kill bacteria on the skin thus fighting outbreaks. Once the acne reduces/stops you can have microdermabrasion to get rid of the dead skin cells that block pores. I have used this and found it very effective.

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

I had a problem with breakouts on my chest and back after I started swapping pills. The best thing I have used so far is Boots' witch hazel and tea tree cleanser & toner in one. It's been marvellous.

• Longtimecoming
    Beginner August 2013
    Longtimecoming ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I also have suffered with skin issues since my early teens however my skin is currently clear and has been for the last couple of years apart from the odd spot.

I used quinoderm, you can get it behind the counter at the pharmacy and its only a couple of pound. I put it all over my face everynight before bed making sure to avoid eyebrows and hair as it will bleach them if your not careful. It doesnt dry out my face too much aslong as I only use it once a day.

Hope this helps

• rachel2012
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had this given to me by the doctor after I had my daughter was born at my 6 week check, I developed a face full of spots in my last few months of preganacy and they where not going, it worked wonders and they had all cleared up within a month, I think I may go buy some more now I know that name of it again as I still get the odd out burst and it really did work wonders.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My skin has erupted since coming off the pill. Ive had 2 bouts of roactutane & definately wouldnt recommend it coming up to your wedding. Im going to look into this cream.

I know you'll have heard it before but laying off the junk food & drinking 3 litres of water a day can help. Ive started to use dermalogica at home since starting their facials. Havnt seen much of a difference in a month but fx.

• Longtimecoming
    Beginner August 2013
    Longtimecoming ·
    • Hide content

Hope it works for you SaSaSi.

I get mine from asda pharmacy but I imagine in should be available in them all.

• A
    Beginner April 2013
    Anchor ·
    • Hide content

Awwww thank you everyone.

i have been intouch with my local pharmacy and they have some in so i'm going to give it a whirl, it's worth a try.

i do drink a lot of water and this doesn't seem to help me, just makes me need to go to the loo more :-) i too have used dermalogica for a few months now but i find it quite expensive and no real help so i have discontinued using it. i'm now using Liz Earle but no change really

thanks again ladies - fingers crossed this Quinoderm is a my miracle cure!!

• L
    Lemon Violet ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I would recommend Liz Earle Cleanse and Polish cleanser, followed by her toner and moisisturiser. You can get it from her website, or QVC or from John Lewis. It really is excelent. May be worth also doing a deep cleansing mask too a couple of times a week. There is a Liz Earle one of those too. It is a mid range price point but lasts ages and will clear your skin up and give you back your confidence.

Hope this helps

Lynne

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

Suda cream! It has worked wonders on my skin, I put it all over my face before bed each night and apart firm 1 or 2 spots at that time of the month it has been clear for months. That said if I don't use it for just one night my skin starts breaking out.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I use clinique which works for me. See the advisor so they can pick the best ones for you.

• teapotty
    Beginner October 2013
    teapotty ·
    • Hide content

This is such a useful thread!

I have been struggling to find something that works for my skin too so may try this quinoderm and let you know how it goes Smiley smile

I suffer with bumps on my forehead and big breakouts on my chin.

• BadgerBeetle
    Beginner November 2012
    BadgerBeetle ·
    • Hide content

In all seriousness - try Sudocrem! I have bad acne on my face and back and was under the care of a dermatologist for years (never had roaccutane as i know the results arent permenant and I don't like needles!). I can honestly say Sudacrem is more effective than any medicine they ever gave me, and it doesn't dry your skin out!

I cake myself in it at night, and when I wake up in the morning my skin is visibly improved!

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I find that a good face steam can work wonders. Grab a hand towel and pyrex bowl, fill it with hot water from the kettle and just sit over it for about 10 minutes.

You could also try this: http://www.feelunique.com/p/John-Masters-Organics-Bearberry-Oily-Skin-Balancing-Face-Wash-118ml?utm_source=GoogleBaseUK&utm_medium=gen Boots used to do a very similar face wash in their Expert range for a fraction of the price, but they discontinued it! Sob! I looked at the ingredients list to try and find something similar, and found the John Masters Bearberry Face Wash. It worked for me during a particularly bad 6 - 12 mth period. I think it's the willowbark extract that really helped. Because my skin is better now, I just used Soap & Glory's Scrub Your Nose In It.

I can completely sympathise though. I refused to let my Dr change the pill I'm on before the wedding, as I knew it would probably affect my skin quite badly. It has in the past. Not looking forward to my next trip!

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

I have little white dots on my face which are called milia. I am going to have them removed but it has to be done by a beutician. For general blocked pores I think you could exfoliate every 3 days, use a toner that also exfoliates and you can get special creams that contain salicylic acid which help remove dead skin cells. Essentially you need to slowly unblock the pores.

I have scarring from cystic acne and I am going to have some laser resurfacing and then a course of microdermabrasion.

• sairzz
    Beginner August 2013
    sairzz ·
    • Hide content

I second Quiniderm, Its fantastic stuff, better than anything I have had from the docs, I buy mine from tesco's I would advise you to use the 5% cream as the 10% can dry your skin out, I started on the 10 but my face became so dry it made my makeup look horedndous, I also have the facewash but only use that twice weekly, id say the cream took about 1-2 weeks before I noticed a change x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics