Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner February 2016

Help to stop tarnished silver jewellery

2016bride88, 8 of June of 2015 at 21:58 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi ladies, I don't get married til February and I found a bargain for my bridesmaids gifts. I bought them bracelets sterling silver and the lady said to keep an eye on them and to take them out of the packet bags just before wedding to check they haven't tarnished. Any ideas on how I can avoid tarnishing at all? I had bought them knot earrings also and I've noticed they've gone shiny (they were a dull silver beforehand). Any advice how I can avoid the bracelets tarnishing? Thank you Smiley smile xx

7 replies

Latest activity by lisaloulou, 10 of June of 2015 at 22:36
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

You can buy like little sheets of paper to put in with them...damnit, can't think what they're called...

ETA: apparently just anti tarnish strips or tabs. Look 'em up on eBay, they're only a couple of quid a pack.

Beginner February 2016
    2016bride88 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you very much Smiley smile hopefully they'll stop me worrying lol xx

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

Just shove them in an eggcup full of ketchup if they tarnish, then rinse it off and they should be all sparkly and new!

Beginner February 2016
    2016bride88 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you well the earrings I bought months ago and they were dull silver and now they are shiny so I'm slightly confused now lol xx

• samidolls
    Beginner September 2015
    samidolls ·
    • Hide content

It's hard to say without seeing them but usually if the silver is dull it is either tarnished already or oxidised. If they were oxidised they wouldn't become shiny from you earring them. Wearing silver removes the tarnish so that is probably what happened (I've tried not to get my science on too much, but the chemist in me just comes out!)

Beginner February 2016
    2016bride88 ·
    • Hide content

The he one on the bottom was how I bought them, the top is how they've settled in the gift boxes - I've had the dull looking pair in for months now and nothing has changed with them but the colours gone from the ones I had stored away. But to be honest now looking at them the shinier ones look like that's how they should be I think xx

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Never store silver in cardboard gift boxes or tissue paper. The best way to store is in little plastic zip lock bags and you can buy anti tarnish tabs off ebay, but if they are in plastic bags you shouldn't need them. Get a silver cloth from the supermarket cleaning section and a quick wipe over will bring them back to a shine if you need to. Never heard of anything dull going shiny before though.

• lisaloulou
    Beginner
    lisaloulou ·
    • Hide content

Here's the jewellery care info I supply with all my pieces for info on heat etc which all affect how well jewellery stores.

The most important thing is putting it in an airtight bag - that will do the best job - but anti-tarnish tabs are useful too and a polishing cloth (you can get them from Argos) will bring the sparkle back to life.

Lisa

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics