Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Expert July 2023 Cornwall

Help us decide! Legal ceremony date

Anonbride, 25 of October of 2022 at 15:01 Posted on Planning 0 6

We need to have a legal ceremony early and FH and I are struggling to make the decision on which date to have it.

Our non-legal ceremony (and whole wedding shabang) is in July down in Cornwall, and we're having the legal one in our home town local registry office in Kent. We've looked into it, and it's not an option to have the legal one like the day before in Cornwall so Kent it is!

Currently we have two options of ceremony type - mini ceremony, with entry and exit music, and a choice of vows (10 guests) or very basic legal wording only ceremony, no entry or exit (4-10 guests depending on room). There's about £150 price difference.

Would appreciate any thoughts on our options, any ways of thinking about it or pros and cons I've not thought of!

-

The mini ceremony has availability on two sentimental dates:

March date

Pros: Available date is my late grandma's birthday, and I cannot stress how important she still is to my family, she's a constant presence, my e-ring was inspired by her bracelet, the way FH proposed was inspired by a promise she made me make when I was younger, she always dreamed about me getting married etc so it feels like a way to include her I guess. FH also thinks the fact that it's early would co-incide with a good timeline for our parents to meet, and if we go for lunch after as like a pre-wedding get together / legal marriage celebration it could be a nice day out.

Cons: It's quite far in advance of the actual wedding (not sure if that's a con or not but it's a fact and one that people have raised!)

June date

Pros: Available date is our current dating anniversary, so could be a nice way to 'end' that anniversary before our wedding date becomes our forever anniversary. It's closer to the actual wedding date (about 3 weeks) so it might be nice to be in a bit of a wedding bubble.

Cons: It's a couple of days before FH's 30th birthday, and his family are the ones that would have to travel a couple of hours to get to us, I can see his mum kicking up a stink about traveling for both, and then for having to travel again a few weeks later down to Cornwall. On this date I'd be also 30 and FH would be still just be 29 and I can see his grandad making 'cougar' or 'older woman' jokes which would really bother me (petty I know but it would!), whereas in March we'd both be 29 (and July we'd both be 30).

-

The legal only ceremony option has zero availability on any dates that feel sentimental to us, so it would be a random date (that's one con), another con is that I did like the idea of my mum walking me in down the 'aisle' for the legal one so she gets to do that too and she wouldn't be able to with this version as there's no entry or exit it's like an appointment with an audience. Pros are we could have it like a week before the wedding (maximum wedding bubble) and it's cheaper.

6 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 1 of November of 2022 at 11:49
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

I know a few people who have had the legal ceremony before the actual wedding celebration, and they've all said it was a weird kind of limbo, so that might be an argument against having it too far in advance.

Is your mum able to have any input into the non-legal celebration? If so, would she mind not getting to walk you down the aisle.

Are you planning on celebrating both dates for future anniversaries or just the main celebration on the beach? If you are planning on celebrating both, then having a bit more of a gap between them might work out well for you - our actual wedding was 3 weeks after our original planned date, thanks to Covid, and it leaves us with a mini dilemma every year because the two dates feel too close together to celebrate both but it feels wrong to ignore either!

If you are viewing the legal ceremony as 'just paperwork' and the beach wedding as the 'real' wedding, then I'd probably go as cheap as possible for the legal bit - and close to the wedding since you won't be celebrating both days.

Regarding the sentimental dates, I wouldn't worry too much about fixing on one of those. There are loads of other things you can (and already have done) to include your grandmother's memory in the whole process, and it's actually quite nice to have multiple dates in the calendar that are special. We don't make a huge splash for our dating anniversary or our engagement anniversary, but they are still markers that remind us to be thankful for our relationship and it's nice to have them spread through the year!

No idea if any of this waffle is helpful - hope you can make a decision that works best for all of you soon x

• K
    Savvy September 2023 East Sussex
    Kyla ·
    • Hide content
    We're doing something similar, because we really want a celebrant led wedding. I think go for cheap and cheerful if it's super close to your July wedding date. You're going to in full bride mode from June until W-day, so take into account that you may be busy both physical and emotionally.

If you have it earlier in the year then you can celebrate it more and who cares if you have two anniversary dates? At the end of the day, it's the two of you celebrating and no one else. Also, you can enjoy your registry wedding in the relative quiet of winter which will make such a nice juxtaposition to your beachy summer wedding.
    Just some ideas, but choose what works best for the both of YOU! Heck, do you even need to tell MIL? Don't compromise on what you want just to keep her or anyone else happy.
  • Km86
    Dedicated December 2022 North Yorkshire
    Km86 ·
    • Hide content

I would 100% go for your Grandmas birthday, it sounds like you were very close with her (I was with mine) and I would have definitely chosen her own wedding anniversary if we hadn't been having a Christmas wedding.

Just so many things about your engagement seem to be about your Gran, I think that would be the perfect touch. I also agree its nice for your family to meet a little in advance, and without being too close to FH Birthday that MIL will complain about the journey.

• Kathryn
    Savvy April 2025 Co Londonderry
    Kathryn ·
    • Hide content
    If you can't choose maybe use the old coin trick? Assign each date head or tails, flip a coin, and see what lands. If your initial reaction is to be happy with what it lands, go for it! If your first reaction is disappointment, go for the other date
  • Km86
    Dedicated December 2022 North Yorkshire
    Km86 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Chloe, have you made a decision yet?

• A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Aww thanks for asking and ohhhh it's been a saga haha! Due to FMIL being the way she is, FH now doesn't want to invite any of his family to the legal day because he thinks she'll ruin it one way or another Smiley sad

He wants my parents to be our witnesses - bless him, he thinks they have the best relationship ever - and both my mum and brother nearly cried when I said we were considering my grandma's birthday! So it's going to become a little welcome to my family day for FH we think with us two plus my parents doing the quick 15min signing, my brother and the dogs ready to meet us after for a lunch of fish & chips + sparkling rose (which is what my grandparents always produced whenever we were celebrating something!).

My grandma's birthday is only available at our local registry as a full ceremony though, which we don't feel like doing if FH's family wont be there as I think it'll just highlight that they're missing - it's also more expensive, and I do think there's a good argument around keeping it little and legal stuff only to make the main day maximum special.

So that made me a bit sad, just picking a random day. But then FH made loads of phone calls and turns out there's a new registry office opening up a couple of towns over (about 30min drive from us and nearish my parents) and the building is so much more beautiful than our local one. It's opening from next Feb but taking bookings towards the end of this year - so we're hoping we can be the first to phone up and book in a basic legal ceremony on my grandma's birthday. Fingers crossed!!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics