Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R

Help! Washing Machine - where to buy?

Ruby 2, 25 July, 2009 at 07:15 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 4

Sorry, very dull post...i'm boring myself! Trying desperately to buy a washing machine to be delivered asap to minimise trips to launderette in meantime. Have tried Argos, John Lewis, Comet, Dixons, 365 electricals. However, they will either not deliver on Saturdays, not deliver washing machine up stairs and into first floor kitchen [health and safety apparently], or don't have the model we want. I can't think of anywhere else to try. H has seen two sites called Whitebox and but i've not heard of either, and am quite reluctant to pay them a vast amount of money only to get ripped off or let down.

I could take a day off in the week to take delivery of the washing machine, but if they won't carry it upstairs, I can't leave it in our communal hallway. Also, it's much easier to get someone round to help my H get it upstairs on a Saturday.

Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks very much ?

4 replies

Latest activity by Ruby 2, 27 July, 2009 at 10:26
  • A
    Beginner August 2007
    alison76 ·
    • Hide content

John Lewis are very unlikely to have said that - they delivered our washing machine to a 2nd floor flat and installed it and took the old one away.

And Currys/Dixons delivered our fridge freezer. and they deliver on saturdays, at an extra charge if you specify the day.

• Tillybean
    Tillybean ·
    • Hide content

I was going to suggest John Lewis too as they delivered washer, dishwasher and cooker - all to a first floor flat in London, up teeny tiny stairs, without any problem. And they plumbed in the washer and dishwasher.

I would try them again, especially as they will price match like for like.

Can you not pay extra for a Saturday delivery?

The worst comes to the worst, can you hire a man with a van to go pick it up for you and deliver it to your house? Not the best solution IMO, but one way to get a Saturday delivery.

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried co-op electrical? www.coopelectricalshop.co.uk

• allymc
    Beginner May 2007
    allymc ·
    • Hide content

Have you tried a local domestic appliance company? I've recently been looking online for a new integrated dishwasher but this morning we popped into a local shop. The price you see is the price you pay (including installation etc) and they were really helpful and knowledgeable and far more accommodating on the delivery front too than all the big companies we've looked at.

• R
    Ruby 2 ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

I have to apologise, not only for posting about something so dull, but also about posting and running off without replying. Thank you for your replies, and i'm sorry i'm only coming back to the post now - it's been a bit of a busy weekend.

I should have been clearer in my original post - I meant that of the places we'd tried, they EITHER didn't have the model we wanted OR they wouldn't deliver up stairs, and we were stumped for anywhere else to go. I normally love John Lewis for the good customer service, but they just didn't have the washer/dryer we were after, and we just knew we couldn't be without for that long. However, H has established that Comet have the model, and they claim to do a full delivery service - including coming upstairs, taking the old machine away, and connecting the new one, and he thinks we'll get a delivery this Wednesday.

So fingers crossed! And thank you for your advice ladies - I was being a bit chaotic when I posted, sorry about that. Nothing like the washing machine breaking down to make you panic!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics