Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Dedicated June 2016

Help with adding cap sleeves to dress

RachD90, 18 of October of 2015 at 20:58 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi I've bought the Dalamo dress from Pronovias 2016 and just waiting till March for it to come in. I will post pics so you can see what it looks like in order to help. Basically I wanted a lace dress with sweetheart neckline was going to add cap sleeves in order for it to look similar to Reem Acra dresses (which are totally out of my budget). I ended up preferring Satin as the colour of a warm ivory and the material suited me more. The one I've gone for is strapless but straight across with tulle underneath to soften it. I still want to add a cap sleeve as this was my dream but don't know if it will work.

When trying on the dress I suggested this and the consultant pinned some plain tulle to make a cap sleeve but I didn't like it. I wanted something more blingy and there wasn't any of this material in the shop to show how it would look. She said it may not work anyway with the top of the dress being decorated in tiny pearl like beads (as you can see in photos). I don't know now if I should go for just plain tulle or none at all. It's hard because if I wanted it similar to reem acra or the below photo's it would be expensive material and not something they have hanging around. I don't want to fork out for something that might not look right.

There doesn't seem to be anywhere in uk that sells detatchable cap sleeves in this style which would make it easier as obviously I could just return them if they didn't work out. Has anyone seen any? All seem to be in the USA.

Not sure if it would even work with the straight neckline or would this need to be altered to sweetheart and would that take away from the dress. Decisions, Decisions! Basically my best option is to find a place in the UK that sells detatchable cap sleeves and that way as I said I can send it back and lose no money.

I've even had a hard time finding material you would use to create a beaded cap sleeve. Oh and the consultant said she didn't think Pronovias would sell the material to us that they used for the top of the dress so it would match.

Am even thinking of having satin cap sleeves and using the satin from when my dress is hemmed. Don't know if this would look right either ahh.

My dress

Very similar dress I tried on from San Patrick (same group as Pronovias), The bottoms the exact same but top is lace and I didn't like it as much. This is the look am going for but instead of lace tulle with beading

Reem acra beaded cap sleeves

Or should I go for something like this instead

9 replies

Latest activity by Jayne E, 20 of October of 2015 at 14:42
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

What about trying some sort of cap sleeve jacket or bolero with it to see how cap sleeves look on it.

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

Oh forgot to mention that. Tried a like blingy/crystal bolero with it but it didn't sit right (as in be more suited to sweetheart and was lower down on the shoulder) or go and was to much bling. I just think a little cap sleeve almost a thick strap would be better. I think it needs more like tulle that has sequins and beads overlay rather than loads of diamonds and gems.

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Whereabouts are you? I got my dress from a place in Winchester (Brides of Winchester) and they had lots of detachable sleeves to add on to give you an idea of look. They stock Pronovia dresses and may be able to help?

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

Am on the northwest merseyside so Winchester bit to far haha. I seen someone selling what could be perfect sleeves. Sure they where satin underneath and had pearl beading ontop which would tie in. From an American preowned wedding dress site and selling for $25 would of been a bargain but no longer on sale and unable to contact seller. Did say got them custom made for etsy for $50. I show you a pic later when am home.

Thanks for I input guys

• P
    Beginner April 2016
    Pooba ·
    • Hide content

Ah yes, that's probably a little too far to come! Other bridal shops may be able to help - or at least have other capped sleeves for you to look at and play with? I'm sure you're not the only person who wants this sort of thing!

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I searched on ebay. White capped sleeves for wedding. There are a few on there shipping from America. Not sure if they are the type you're after but worth a look.

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

I think I may have to just ring about wedding shops in Liverpool and ask. Suppose there no point stressing till when my dress arrives as can't do anything till then anyway. Just know what I want because I always feel like it gets lost in translation and I don't end up having what I wanted. If I show a definate picture and what fabric and know it can be done make life easier and know if am being ripped off.

Yeah what i've seen on ebay or etsy isn't really what I want and all from america. I need to find something in uk you see so I can return it easily if it doesn't look right without having to pay loads of shipping cost.

Here is the cap sleeves i seen for sale on american pre-loved website but they sold now and no sellers contact as I said just said from Etsy but can't find them anywhere.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

If you have those pictures to show a seamstress you could always have a cheaper fabric mock up made to check fit etc if you can't find exactly what you want ready done in a shop.

• R
    Dedicated June 2016
    RachD90 ·
    • Hide content

See I didn't think about that, I haven't had a great experience when asking no one really seems to get what I mean just try palm me off with boleros which don't go. In fairness I haven't seen a seamstress and bridal consultants can only do so much, so might be worth asking the seamstress who would have more ideas.

I think they could be made quite easily with tulle and pre-bought pearl strings. Seen someone on a blog make a collar like this on a sewing machine. So I think its doable for seamstress but just hope they don't charge a fortune.

• Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

I think the more work there is the more time it takes the higher the cost. Beading it or pearls would put the cost up but I can't see it costing a fortune.

In the meantime I would keep searching for ready done and ring lots of bridal shops.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics