Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2014

Help with informal party instead of wedding reception

MrsACF, 21 of November of 2013 at 17:37 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi all, I am having a small wedding in June 2014, away from home (but not abroad) followed by, at a later date, an informal party for friends and family. Best part is wearing the dress twice Smiley laugh

Really struggling to find a venue to do this – originally wanted to find an inexpensive venue that could host a daytime BBQ or hog roast for approx. 125 people but everywhere seems to only want to do a proper wedding breakfast plus evening event and charge £’s. I have a budget of around £3k for the party, possibly a bit more but really struggling to find anywhere in Bucks or Beds. Alternative is to have an evening disco with either BBQ/hog roast or buffet but an evening “do” appeals to me less.

Has anyone organised similar? I really don’t want a formal reception – so no speeches or first dance. We will have a cake but no formal photographer at the party (we have proper photographer for the ceremony, but will just ask friends to take pics at the party).

If we can find a daytime location do you think we need to have any entertainment? If so what? A disco wouldn’t work in the day but not sure about a band either?

Drinks – should we provide wine/beer/soft drinks ourselves or have a venue with a cash bar, or should we put money behind the bar? I know at an ordinary evening do after a normal daytime reception the usual is to have a cash bar, but not sure if this would feel harsh as we have no formal wedding reception part?

I have the dress ordered, we have given notice and have the ceremony booked and photographer booked. I have ideas for hair and flowers, so that part is all sorted. It’s the party that is proving the hard bit and that is the bit that is meant to be fun and informal!

4 replies

Latest activity by LEN11212, 22 of November of 2013 at 10:14
  • Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

With that brief and that budget, I think looking at village halls with outdoor grounds or sports grounds where you can get a marquee might be your best bet. You could have some outdoor games for entertainment - skittles, giant Jenga, rounders/cricket if you have enough space, and one Hitcher had a bouncy castle earlier this year!

Drinks: If you're going to a venue which has a bar then I'd maybe give people one or two drinks with their buffet and then let them pay for themselves. If you are going to a village hall type venue then you'll need to either provide all the booze, or hire in some kind of mobile bar company. I don't think you have to pay for all the drinks, but a couple of freebies is always appreciated!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Try social clubs/working mens clubs etc. some of them have lovely function rooms. I had my 40th at one in the day because I was ill but also having lots of children. The function room didn't have windows so the time was irrelevant. we had a ceilidh - so much fun and everyone could join in even the kids and those with two left feet. Most of these places allow you to organise your own catering and their bars tend to be a lot cheaper than most pubs much less hotels.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

I think a village hall or sports club type place sounds perfect, espcially if you can get somewhere outside II'm guessing you want something in the summer?). I also think a band outdoors in the afternoon would be different and alot of fun.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics