Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2015

Help with organising own ceremony for a field!

brideallenby, 28 of October of 2014 at 21:56 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi I wonder if anyone can help.

We are getting married next August and we have hired a field with a marquee.

We will get married in registrars office a few days before but we want our own ceremony on the day with our own vows etc.

Does anyone know how to organise this in terms of hiring out someone to run the ceremony? Like we will need someone to introduce us and thank everyone for coming etc. And we wanted to say our own vows.

Has anyone done this before. I did think about asking a friend but don't really have anyone outgoing or willing enough to do that.

Really appreciate your replies!!

Laura xx

13 replies

Latest activity by ExpensivePurpleConfetti102, 25 of January of 2015 at 11:10
  • DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

Hi Laura

Welcome to Hitched. Do you mean someone to conduct a ceremony like a Celebrant?

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Which area are you in????

Welcome to the forum btw...

Peter

• M
    Beginner July 2016
    MellieMoo ·
    • Hide content

Anyone can conduct your ceremony for you. our best friends are conducting our handfasting as we are all pagans.

it has now become very popular to have a humanist ceremony with a dedicated officiant. this isn't at all necessary or required, and doesn't make it any more legal, but there are many good celebrants listed here https://humanism.org.uk/ceremonies/find-a-wedding-celebrant/ x

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think you need a registered celebrant - there will be some in your area if you google it.

• R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not if they are already legally married (or will get legally married afterwards)- you can have anyone you like do it for you. An actual celebrant such as from the humanist society will set you back about £400- about the cost of hiring out a registrar to come to your venue.

Our friend did exactly what you are proposing, she had a lovely lady from the humanist society conduct their outdoor ceremony, it was really great, we sat on hay bales.

Some spiritualists will also do the celebrant role as will pagan societies, it entirely depends on what you are looking for.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

If you're planning to legally marry elsewhere then you can literally use whoever you like to conduct the ceremony. We're having my OHs dad do ours, but you do have the option to hire a celebrant as has been mentioned. Prices vary- some of the ones we looked at ranged up to £600, with most between £200-£400.

In the end we preferred to have someone we knew. Which area of the country are you in and we may have some recommendations for you ?

• S
    Simply Ceremonies Uk ·
    • Hide content

An Independent celebrant is a great option as they will write and perform your ceremony making it as traditional or non traditional as you want it to be.

it can be personalised and can include additional elements such as a Handfasting, unity candle, rose ceremony and more.

i am conducting a few in fields myself next year, so please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Karina

www.fb.com/simplyceremoniesuk

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    brideallenby ·
    • Hide content

Wow thanks for all the quick replies everyone!

I had no idea they were called a celebrant so thats why I was so stuck in findin g the right thing.

I have one family member who may do it for us but I need to check he feels comfortable with this.

We dont want anything too cliche maybe funny and sweet. We need to work out what our options are and whats right for us.

Otherwise it might be more stress free to hire a celebrant. Didnt really want to pay more than £200 though. I am in East Sussex area.

Thanks again for all the responses they have been super helpful.

Laura

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

We had a marquee christening and used a celebrant. It was wonderful - the benefit of having her over a family member was that she added an "informal formality" if that kind of makes sense. It was a beautiful, personal, short ceremony with family members coming up to read a poem or little sister coming up to present a drawing to baby.

I recognise that this is celebrating your marriage rather than a christening but I think that it would work beautifully! Good luck!!!

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content

We did the same except we sneaked off in the morning to do the paperwork at the registry office. We had a lovely lady from the British Humanist Association conduct ours, she also gave us some guidance on content though we pretty much wrote the whole thing from scratch. Everyone above is correct in saying that anyone can conduct the ceremony though as your legal bits are taken care of elsewhere. I've also photographed a wedding where the bride's brother acted as celebrant and another where a family friend did it. Love the idea, so personal!

Good luck Smiley smile

• E
    Beginner July 2016
    ExpensivePurpleConfetti102 ·
    • Hide content

Hi congrats Laura

Am looking for a field in Sussex are you getting married there? If so where is it? my venue has let me down... TIA

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Hey what you want is an independent celebrant, if you give them a google in your area there should be plenty about and usually you can pretty much personalise your ceremony any way you like although they might have a certain style to it.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Try the Knepp castle estate. Gorgeous land, toilets included plus a log cabin and kitchen facilities and very reasonably priced! It was our first choice originally, but we ended up falling in love with somewhere else.

• E
    Beginner July 2016
    ExpensivePurpleConfetti102 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Sam&Louise

thanks very much I came across Knepp yesterday and they are on my list to contact...

?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics