Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs*W*2B
Beginner August 2014

Help with venues...info/prices/reviews etc

Mrs*W*2B, 18 November, 2011 at 16:30 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi Girls,

We are at the very beginning of planning, we have made a rough guestlist (130-160 people min/max) and have started to look into a few venues in the area (some a bit further out) basically were looking for somewhere that might allow us to scrap the 3 course meal and have something more informal having all guests for the whole day and feed them all once (late ceremony) with no extra evening guests.

so i have two questions for you, firstly...do you think that having all guests to a later ceremony (maybe 3pm) and then feeding them all once at say 5ish will be ok? possibly providing nibbles in the evening...

and second question has anyone been to view / booked / been to a wedding at any of the following venues....we are trying to narrow down this list to go and visit...we want both the ceremony and reception at the same venue, if anybody has ANY info please share, also if you have any alternative venue suggestions in similar areas...we aren't looking at a very big budget so most fancy expensive venues are out of the running!!

Local
Etrop Grange
Quarry Bank Mill
Cheadle house
The Belfry Hotel

Manchester

Whitworth Art gallery
Place Hotel
The Castlefield Rooms
Willow Bank Hotel
Worsley Park

Altrincham
Bowdon Rooms

Bolton
Bolton School of arts
Egerton House

Wincham
Wincham Hall hotel

Heaton Chapel

The Yellow Broom

Marple Bridge
Peruga

Macclesfield
Shrigley Hall
Hollin Hall Hotel

Mottram St
Andrew
Mottram Hall

Knutsford
Mere court hotel
Belle Époque

Lymm
Statham Lodge

Chester
The Barn

Oldham
The Saddleworth hotel

Thanks in advance!!
x

12 replies

Latest activity by Michelle772012, 30 November, 2011 at 17:22
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

To answer the 1st question, with everyone having one meal, this is the norm in Australia where I got married. I'd never heard of having separate day/evening guests before moving the UK, nor had I heard of providing 2 different meals. In Aus, everyone comes to the ceremony, everyone goes to the venue, then everyone usually has a buffet/sit down meal. It works perfectly well there.

We got married about 2pm, whilst pics were taken, canapés were given to guests, then about 5pm had a sit down meal followed by cake cutting, dancing etc. No 2nd meal, no buffet at 10pm as there really is no need. I wouldn't have wanted to stop dancing, eat more food, then keep on dancing anyway.

I went to Ringwood hall, chesterfield a few years ago for a fantastic wedding. Not sure if thats too far from you, but being a hotel also, guests can stay. Food & staff were great, lovely pergola in the garden & fantastic views.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for your response!

I suppose it's just what you see on all the venue websites (3 course followed by evening buffet) but hoping to find venues will be a little more flexible and we won't have to 'pick out of their packages' your timings sound similar to what we are thinking so it's promising to see that your venue is happy with this format!

Thanks again x

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

You must be very local to me! Smiley smile I've added my thoughts above!

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Also I apologise in Advance if I have upset anyone if ive bad mouthed their venue!!

p.s. for centre of manchester have you thought abot the resturant "The Stock"?

• JayneyB
    Beginner November 2012
    JayneyB ·
    • Hide content

Hellooo

We had a look at the Saddleworth Hotel and it was GORGEOUS but certainly had the price tag attached to it. Their ballroom is oh so pretty, I thought the ceremony room was quite small but the grounds outside were also very lovely. I liked the staff their too. If i had the budget for it I think it would have been my first choice.

I also looked at the Bolton School of Arts, I think the person I spoke to that day was having a bad day as they were a little rude, so that put me off unfortunately. But the research i did on that place came up with some amazing pictures!

After 3 days of looking and 12 venues later we chose the Lowry Theatre in Salford Quays in the end, we are inviting around 80 to the day and 170 to the evening and they have a range of options to have it formal or not. We both looked at each other and said it was perfect so that was it for us.

Good Luck with the search!!

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Thank You Shellsworth, lots of useful info there!! appreciate that!! shame about peruga!! not been there before but heard some good reviews and it didn't seem too over priced! but I do like the dancefloor in sight as grandma's and grandad's tend to enjoy watching the youngsters dancing but not necessarily dancing themselves! so that could put us off!! will still go and see that one though i think!!

Castlefield Rooms is another one I think we'll definately go and view, i know what you mean about it being very 'city centre' but i have seen some lovely edgy photography that made me think it could work for photo's etc and i know food will be of a good quality.

I think Shrigley and Mottram Hall will be too pricey for us to be honest but they don't have their prices on the website (or i couldn't find them) they just look expensive haha!!

I did have cottons spa on my list but for some reason took it off...might add it again!

Not heard of the other 2 you mentioned so i will go and check them out online first! Thanks!

And Statham Lodge i've heard lots of good things about so thats one to view i think! Smiley smile

x

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks JayneyB,

Thought Saddleworth might be pricey, you can usually tell when their website says 'price on request' haha

I really like the Bolton School of Arts although H2B thinks it looks too big! It's a shame they were rude to you, a friendly team is definately going to contribute towards our choice of venue!

and i think i presumed the Lowry would be expensive but maybe i should look into it more!!

Smiley smile x

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I know i wrote this a while ago but only just had a look at the stock and it looks lovely!! do you know if it has a wedding licence or is it just advertising the wedding section for evening receptions? i couldn't find anywhere on their website that said they had a civil ceremony licence but then they have a whole section for weddings so im confused!! Smiley atonished x

• S
    Beginner April 2012
    shellsworth ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I'm not sure tbh! I've eaten here which is why i know the place, but a collegeue looked into this but they were planning on getting married at the town hall first.

Sorry I can't tell you more!

S

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ok no worries il give them a ring! Smiley smile

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I have seen a few of these places. Hollin hall put us off as the decor just wasn't us, seemed quite old fashioned, the layout of the rooms were ideal plus random residents could be walking through your reception! Bowden Rooms were so helpful and lovely, the inside was great but the exterior put us off as we were after somewhere we could get more picturesque pccies done.

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i've contacted bowdon rooms but they never got back to me, may have to ring again! but i'm very interested, drove to see it and i know what you mean about the outside but i don't think it would bother me as much...can i be cheeky and ask if you have any idea of prices for hire/catering for bowdon rooms? i was kinda of presuming/hoping it would be cheaper because of the look of the exterior!! any extra info would be helpful as their website gives little away!! Smiley smile x

• Michelle772012
    Beginner July 2012
    Michelle772012 ·
    • Hide content

Evening, have no idea ref venue but we are having 3.15pm ceremony in RO followed by day reception for 120 (fish and chips) then eve buffet for 180 at around 9pm to soak up the alcohol it works for us but i appreciate its not everyones cup of tea x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics