Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Rod
Beginner

Help..Child Friendly poem / reading

Rod, 16 August, 2011 at 13:38 Posted on Planning 0 13

My 8 yr old stepdaughter asked me on Sunday if she is still reading a poem at the wedding. Christ knows when i told her this but she is adamant that she is.

HELP! I need something that she can read easily (no big words) and that will be appropriate for a civil ceremony.

TIA!! I'm currently trawling google and so far i thought of the owl and the *** cat but replacing owl and *** cat with 'Daddy' and 'October11'...? bit long tho....

13 replies

Latest activity by onion1975, 16 August, 2011 at 17:58
  • Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Oh lord. P u s s y cat....

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

Too short?

May this special day you share
    Be filled with love and laughter
    May all the days ahead
    Be happy ever after

or

Once upon a time you two met
    You've shared much love and laughter
    May your marriage be a fairy tale
    Happy ever after

I'm glad I'm in the fairy tale
    And you are too I guess
    Congratulations, King and Queen
    From your fairy tale Princess

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

I like the king and queen one...I am worried she will get all shy and not read it lol

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

That was why I thought the first one might be a bit better as it will be over really quickly but the second one was designed for such an occasion as yours (thank heavens for Americans on this one!) She could prectise either one and say it on the day with somebody holding her hand

• Rod
    Beginner
    Rod ·
    • Hide content

Yea her Auntie (OH's SIL) is a BM so she can help her if she needs to. If she freezes she doesnt have to say it.

I like it. I will run it by her. thanks!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I really like these lyrics:- You could adapt them for your step-daughter?

May the angels protect you
    Trouble neglect you
    And heaven accept you when its time to go home
    May you always have plenty
    The glass never empty
    Know in your belly
    You're never alone

May your tears come from laughing
    You find friends worth having
    With every year passing
    They mean more than gold
    May you win but stay humble
    Smile more than grumble
    And know when you stumble
    You're never alone

Never alone
    Never alone
    I'll be in every beat of your heart
    When you face the unknown
    Wherever you fly
    This isn't goodbye
    My love will follow you stay with you
    Baby you're never alone

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

My SIL got her daughter to read an extract from The Velveteen Rabbit which was very cute:

EXCERPT FROM THE VELVETEEN RABBIT
    ~ By Margery Williams ~

"What is REAL?" asked the Rabbit one day, when they were lying side by side near the nursery fender, before Nana came to tidy the room. "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When a child loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but Really loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get all loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is beautiful. i may have to take it for consideration with OH!

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

Re-reading that princess one - if she says it perfectly I would put money on there not being a single dry eye

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

My nephew read a lovely Love Story by Edward Monkton:

A Lovely Love Story

~ by Edward Monkton ~

The fierce Dinosaur was trapped inside his cage of ice. Although it was cold he was happy in there. It was, after all, HIS cage.

Then along came the Lovely Other Dinosaur.

The Lovely Other Dinosaur melted the Dinosaur's cage with kind words and loving thoughts.

I like this Dionsaur, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur. Although he is fierce he is also tender and he is funny. He is also quite clever though I will not tell him this for now.

I like this Lovely Other Dinosaur, thought the Dinosaur. She is beautiful and she is different and she smells so nice. She is also a free spirit which is a quality I much admire in a dinosaur.

But he can be so distant and so peculiar at times, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur.

He is also overly fond of Things. Are all Dinosaurs so overly fond of Things?

But her mind skips from here to there so quickly, thought the Dinosaur. She is also uncommonly keen on Shopping. Are all Lovely Other Dinosaurs so uncommonly keen on shopping?

I will forgive his peculiarity and his concern for Things, thought the Lovely Other Dinosaur. For they are part of what makes him a richly charactered individual.

I will forgive her skipping mind and her fondness for shopping, thought the Dinosaur. For she fills our life with beautiful thought and wonderful surprises. Besides, I am not unkeen on shopping either.

Now the Dinosaur and the Lovely Other Dinosaur are old. Look at them.

Together they stand on the hill telling each other stories and feeling the warmth of the sun on their backs.

And that, my friends, is how it is with love. Let us all be Dinosaurs and Lovely Other Dinosaurs together.

I remember finding another whuich was a child describing a wedding but cant seem to find it on my lap top! I remember going on the Your Wedding websiteand they had hundreds catorgarised for Funny, childrens, religious, sentimental etc, its worth a look!

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

A lovely love story is really cute......quite a nice one for a child to read.

• O
    Beginner August 2011
    onion1975 ·
    • Hide content

My 2 children read 'I like you' by Sandon Stoddard Warburg..It's a bit, well a lot lengthy but a really lovely story...they read it together between them and it was just so sweet watching and listening to them...xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics