Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

germaki
Beginner October 2013

Help-father daughter dance :(

germaki, 7 of September of 2013 at 22:13 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi,
My Dad passed away few years ago now, and my uncle (his younger brother) is giving me away. Since Dad died he's really stepped up and been like a second Father to me so I would like to have a dance with him but also in tribute to my Dad.

I'm struggling to find a song that we can dance too which isn't too sad or blatant, nor do I want to dance to his favourite song (Robbie Williams Angels) as it was also played at his funeral Smiley sad

This is something that has really been getting to me, and its the second thing I find really upsetting that reminds me that my Dad isn't here (first is knowing he's not walking me down the aisle).

I realise I'm waffling now-what I'm looking for is some suggestions on songs that aren't sad or cheesy.

Thanks
E xx

13 replies

Latest activity by *Pugsley*, 19 of September of 2013 at 13:42
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Firstly, I'm very sorry for your loss. I adore my dad and I dread the day he isn't here anymore.

what was your dads favourite song? Could you use that do you think?

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

I'm so sorry for your loss - could you talk to family and see if they could suggest a song . I am sure you will find something xxxx

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content
  • germaki
    Beginner October 2013
    germaki ·
    • Hide content

HIs favorite song was Angels by Robbie Williams but as that song was played at his funeral I'm not keen to use it. When I've tried bringing the subject up with family members it's become very awkward and upsetting (still very raw for them and us).

• K
    Beginner September 2013
    kat739 ·
    • Hide content

Dance with my father by Luther Vandross is a beautiful song. I'm not having a father daughter dance but if I were it would be to that song.

• rachd03
    Beginner May 2014
    rachd03 ·
    • Hide content

Im sorry for your loss, I think its a lovely way to pay tribute to your dad.

I am having My Girl - the Rolling Stones version. A beautiful song is Butterfly Kisses, it always makes me too emotional though which is why Im not having it. I think the Luther Vandross song would be very appropriate for you xx

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this!
    Sorry for your loss. Sure you'll find something fitting x

• Wedding DJ
    Wedding DJ ·
    • Hide content

A Few suggestions:-

A Whole New World (Aladdin's Theme) - P. Bryson,R. Belle
    Can You Feel the Love Tonight - Elton John
    Have I Told You Lately - Rod Stewart or Van Morrison
    How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved by You) - James Taylor
    Isn't She Lovely - Stevie Wonder
    Landslide - Fleetwood Mac
    Memories are Made of This - Dean Martin
    My Girl - The Temptations
    The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra
    Unforgettable - Natalie Cole & Nat King Cole
    What a Wonderful World - Louis Armstrong
    You Are so Beautiful - Joe Cocker
    You've Got a Friend - James Taylor

if you want something a bit more up to date Lumineers - Ho Hey is a great song to lead out into your party...

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this.

If you are doing it to thank your uncle, what is a song that he would like?

• Pinkboo
    Beginner March 2014
    Pinkboo ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'd ask your Uncle to pick a song for the both of you.

I don't think it's really a good song for your dance, but "You Are Loved" by Josh Groban seems quite fitting in a way

Have you thought about attaching a photograph of your Dad to your bouquet, in a small frame or locket? Then he will be walking down the Aisle with you both x

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for your loss.

I am thinking if it's so upsetting already do you really want to put yourself through it on the day? Why don't you buy you uncle a little token guft and mention him in the speeches to show your thanks, and then like someone mentioned have a pic of your dad in a locket or something. You will no doubt think abotu him a lot on the day but making a moment to stand and dance for 3 minutes may be a bit much BUT that's me, I know I coulnd't do it.

I hope you find something if you do go ahead x

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Ask your Uncle - maybe he has song he and your Dad used to listen to together?

• Wedding DJ
    Wedding DJ ·
    • Hide content

You do not have to do this father / daughter dance alone on the dancefloor - maybe combine it with any mother / son dance you intend to have, get your wedding dj to bring in other members of just your bridal party to join you on the dance floor, or invite all your other guests in to join you after your first dance.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I LOVE this song and was going to suggest that although you might find it a bit too emotional (you still might anyway though regardless of what song you choose).

I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. It's so nice that you and your uncle are close.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics