Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsStobe13
Beginner May 2013

Help..my bridesmaid 'unfriended' me?

MrsStobe13, 2 May, 2013 at 09:29 Posted on Planning 0 40

Hey all..This sounds really petty but I just discovered this morning that one of my bridesmaids has 'unfriended' me on Facebook. I know my brother (chief bridesman) sent a message around to all of them in a fit of rage but that was him, not me. I've tried really hard to make things work of her as she wanted me to make special provisions for her son to come to our wedding breakfast only and leave in time for the reception. She also told me her boyfriend was only coming to the evening do until 4 days after the RSVP cut off date when she said he'd shifted work around and asked if he could come all day as she didn't have a date otherwise, to which I had to say no as numbers were confirmed. She's asked me for help and advice with hairstyles which I've tried to sort out on several occasions but has been ignored.

The defriend to be honest is not my biggest concern. She has run off with a £100 dress, claiming her Mum was going to alter it for her. She was supposed to return it this weekend ready to be ironed for the big day and hasn't. The fact that she has defriended me for no obvious reason and in spite of all I have done for her would indicate to me that she doesn't want to be my bridesmaid. Am I overreacting or should I tell her that I see severing communications as no longer wanting to be part of my wedding? I know it's petty and silly arguements happen over Facebook, but I'm very upset that she's done this to me. At best, if she'd told me she no longer wanted to be my bridesmaid I could of sold it on EBay. We're in very hard times financially and I know she has a much wealthier background than we do.

Thanks for reading

MrsStobe13 xx

40 replies

Latest activity by MOMB, 7 May, 2013 at 19:01
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

What exactly did your brother's email say?

• mai27
    Beginner June 2016
    mai27 ·
    • Hide content

It's getting close to the wedding now, I'd be straight on the phone asking her if she still wants to be bridesmaid.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Blimey! Have you called or texted her to ask what's going on?

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I would go and speak with her face to face.

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a funny one because I've only ever received the snippets of my brother's messages, though they all seem to have flown off the handle over this one without showing me what was said. My brother did call me after he sent it to apologise, so I can only guess he knew it was overboard. He was however very angry as the bridesmaid mentioned in my first post had tried to organise a pamper day and a hen night with willies, both of which I'd hate and completely clashed with his plans. Another bridesmaid had made various excuses for not being part of any of my hen activities and made him out to be disorganised and useless, though I later discovered he'd asked her to find some prices for him and she hadn't bothered. It's ironic that it' taken 3 months to organise a hen which was so disasterous it got scrapped, yet H2B and I sorted a sten night for next week in 30 minutes :-)

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, I don't see that she's "severed communications" (as I think she's simply being a bit petty and reactionary on FB). Have you phoned her? Or gone to see her?

• MrsStobe13
    Beginner May 2013
    MrsStobe13 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We said 1st April with an absolute deadline of 17th April due to the caterer's terms. My Mum confirmed with the caterer on 18th April so by this time it was too late. We rang around after people for those 2 weeks between times which we said we weren't going to do.

It's not the first time, first of all she was going to return it the Tuesday before last, then said it wasn't done and she'd swing by this week. That leaves today or tomorrow as she's away this weekend and she's not contacted me about either.

I've dropped her a text and said I hope all is well. I casually aired that we need the dress back by Wednesday for pressing ready for the wedding. For now, I'm going to act as though I haven't noticed.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And if she doesn't reply?

I agree with Jo. You are just letting stuff happen to you. Let's see what happens if my elderly neighbours don't RSVP, let's see what happens if I pretend my brother didn't bawl the BMs out over FB.

Phone her or go and see her.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

I would be going to speak with her face to face. Text/email/fb stuff is rubbish in sensitive situations. I'm guessig she feels offended on a few counts and your casual text and so on could easily be misinterpreted.

• Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Baffles me what passes for a friend these days. None of the people I asked to be bridesmaid would ever have acted like this.

• G
    Beginner September 2013
    Gemmy08 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry but if my brother had sent a message to my closest friends in a 'fit of rage', I would be straight round to see him and demanding to either be shown it, or told exactly word for word what had been said, I would not accept 'snippets'. Although I understand you did not send the message, and therefore it is petty of her to de-friend you, you do not know what he has said. He could have said anything, maybe even implied that you had asked him to send it, which might have majorly upset her.

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

She sounds like:

But honestly? What kind of petty *** is that?? "defriending" you on facebook because someone said something she didn't like?

Childish, immature, pathetic mentality.

Sorry if that's really harsh but I never have the time for people like that.

I hope you get everything sorted, with or without her.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I agree with this. Since said email was the catalyst, surely it would make sense to read it?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Just go round, what are you waiting for!

Yes she is being utterly childish but you need to know what's going on!

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

It all sounds rather petty. Maybe she's just had enough! I don't understand why your brother is even getting in a 'fit of rage' ??

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This....

I have to admit that I'm not sure I'd like to be part of your bridal party ?. It all sounds very dramatic / like hard work.

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

Make the decision if you want to keep her friendship and if you do then go and fix it. The onus is on you to make this right.

You asked her to be bridesmaid, then asked her son to be pageboy because he would be cute on the pictures. When the little boy had a tantrum because he didn't want to dress up as a pageboy you then said he couldn't come to the wedding and you wouldn't pay for his dinner.

Your friend tried to do something nice for you (ie set up a hen becasue the other bridesmaids didn't want to do what your brother was organising). At this point you, as her friend, didn't step into pur oil on troubled waters but let your brother get into a screeching rage and start hurling abuse about. All the BMs chose not to come to the day your brother/Mum/you planned, not just because they would rather give you a more girly hen, but because your brother has behaved like a nightmare and you let him.

So then you cancelled both hen dos, and your BM has had enough and disconnected herself. Frankly I'm not surprised. Only you can fix this if you want to. She has other prioirties right now, as a parent, and your hen night isn't top of her list, but the fact that the other BMs backed out too suggests that your brother (and you by inaction) have hacked everyone off.

I hope you get it sorted.

Editing to say that I'm sorry this comes across as so harsh. Just putting how it must seem for her point of view. You considered her a close enough friend to make her BM so don't let this moment of prewedding madness (we all have them) lose the friendship. In a years' time it will be too broken to fix and you'll both regret it.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Do people not talk to each other anymore??

Speak to your brother and ask to see the email. Go round or phone your bm.

You are all acting like children and its tiring to read, let alone be in the middle of it.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

And if I recall, didn't your brother previously go off on one about a joint hen/stag do?

• 2013_Bride_
    Beginner August 2013
    2013_Bride_ ·
    • Hide content

RE your £100 dress, i'd imagine she genuinely has taken it to get it altered - I doubt she would agree to be your BM and go along with everything until now just to steal the dress. I'm sure if everything goes tiddles up then she will return it to you.

• F
    Beginner August 2013
    Frogface ·
    • Hide content

Hasn't your brother bawled at everyone before? To me, It seems like your brother is the start of this problem, yes he is family but if he is upsetting your close friends you need to say something! Does he have to have his own way all the time, and causes problems from not getting it?

• B
    Beginner November 2013
    Bathsheeba ·
    • Hide content

A blunt reminder that this is your day and not his might do the trick.

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

If she is from such a wealthy background i hardly believe shes "run off" with a £100 dress

YOU!! Need to regain control of your wedding and the people involved you can't prance your was through the final 2 week with what ifs and maybes. Sorry if it sounds harsh but like others have pointed out you and your day are not her #1 priority her child and everyday life are her priorities. If this was me I would have been getting in contact with her the moment I had noticed what she had done.

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    Gumibear85 ·
    • Hide content

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Ooh good choice! Love Yellow Tail.

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    Gumibear85 ·
    • Hide content

Just figured we could all do with a drink Smiley smile

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I particularly enjoy how the bottle is empty. Story of my life.

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Or 3 ?

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

Right, firstly I agree with a lot that has been said already.

You have got to stop pretending this isn't happening and get it under control. Why are you letting your brother send snotty emails? Wtf has it got to do with him anyway? Why are you not going mad at him and asking to see what he is written?

Stop texting your bm and talk to her.

Its your wedding so take back the control and stop ignoring everything. The whole thing sounds like hard work.

• G
    Beginner April 2014
    Gumibear85 ·
    • Hide content

Stacey - how about a few bottles and a couple of straws? ?

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm liking the idea ?

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content

No update? Wonder what happened.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇