Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner May 2012

hen do

happyharp, 13 May, 2012 at 11:26 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi to anyone reading this. I would really appreciate some feedback:

I had my hen do last night. It was really good. Some silly hats, good food, dancing, and a pole class activity before hand. 10 women came to that which is an ideal number for me and I really appreciated the effort from people who were Mums and without much money. In the day 5 of us went to a spa and a massage was arranged for me. People paid for me all night and three people made the long journey to London which I really appreciated.

Only thing is I was so looking forward to this being over because the whole ordeal was emotional agony where friends wouldn't initially get it together to plan it for me and my OH had to intervene and kick them up the arse. In the end friends delivered the goods. Close friends who couldn't attend because of living far away with children and being ill with ME, which initially caused my much upset sent presents on the day (flowers, bath oils, t-shirt). I felt really thought about and along the way got the whole pressure to have a great hen out of my system (because that makes a bride socially acceptable right? being sarcastic). I think my hen was a really good one for people who don't want to ask friends to spend hundreds of pounds and take childcare duties into consideration when choosing activities.

There was a little drama where my sister who came to stay from outside London went again after a few hours, not making dinner, because her son had an asthma attack. My friend dealt with that smoothly and we got her back to the car and she went home.

I think I feel resentful though. Not towards my friends efforts and contribution last night. But the whole process. It hasn't felt worth the stress. Basically, when OH and I got engaged his best man initially suggested the stag go to Africa. I was gobsmacked and upset because my friends have little money and his have enough to do this kind of stag, and then their own family holidays. This kind of stag would have outshone our honeymoon destination which is Greece (we are all in our 30-40s). We agreed a limit-there would be no hen/stag abroad. OH said he preferred this as has a few friends without much money. Then I encountered the stress of having quite a fragmented friendship group compared to his cohesive one where people have already done many stags together. I won't go into it here but believe me I had to do some good tempered assertiveness with friends to realise this was very important to me because over the years I have neglected celebrating my birthdays and so people aren't used to me getting them together. For the wedding though I really felt it important to get people to meet before hand. Also, whilst my friends and sister were initially being unsupportive and not rallying around with ideas or enthusiasm, were saying they couldn't come, my sister insisted I keep it low key, not quite getting the amount of invisibe peer pressure I felt from my OH's friends who have different expectations and as I said are very unified as a group (this all changed dramatically in the month before and because my OH intervened) I had to endure the shame of this whilst my OH's two best men constantly liaised and came up with ideas and planned his stag. Also, some of my friends can be quite cosmic and I felt a little embarassed about this in front of my OH's sister who is a successful career woman, had a thousand pound hen in Venice etc (although one of her hen invitees recently confided in me that was felt weird about going at the time because she didn't know OH sister very well at all). Consequently, the hen had such a stressful build up that I was really anxious that I wouldn't even have one so when in the end it came together as 10-12 people came across the day altogether that felt like a massive difference from where I was at the start.

Now however, instead of feeling relieved that I had a 'hen' I have woken up worrying, but not about having one and feeling worthy of people coming out for me, but of feeling self conscious about what my OH's sister thinks of me (cosmic friends, my sister leaving the hen and driving back home, it not being alpha female types). I am also worrying that I in the end wasn't loud or raucous enough as a bride to be (I am quite contained but adventurous and that is fine in most areas of my life). Again, this pressure to fit that norm came from comments by my OH's friendship group, intended or not. I'd had such a stressful time building up to it so I know I should be less hard on myself.

I think my issue is this. It has felt for me like a big performance to get right just because I'm getting married and I have felt that this has been driven by my OH's friends unintentionally exerting a peer pressure to be alpha, popular, flashy, cool etc. Also, what hasn't helped is OH's comments that my friends are 'kooky' and that my family are generally un-cool and perhaps would have a problem with the gypsy punk band he has organised for the wedding. We have had some pre-marriage couple therapy because he has a tendency to want and need social approval from his friends and sister and do things that are right ie. cool, in their eyes. Unintentionally he has made me feel inadequate and triggered lots of conflicts as I feel I am being judged or put down. Anyway, he is starting to recognise that so that's good as far as I'm concerned. Also, whilst he himself was feeling embarassed that my hen was not coming together and this was part of his motivation to sort it out, he also loves me and wanted me to have a hen. So he's good to me but he's not perfect and we work on things together. As you can tell, I have my own stuff-namely I'm a bit socially anxious.

So now even though I feel i had a hen that had people involved, having fun, wearing glittery hats etc., and don't need to worry about that anymore. Now I am worrying about what my OH's sister thinks of me and my friends. It was a bit awkward with her at the spa (she only came to the spa and pole which were day and early evening activities) as her social world is so different to mine. She is nice but again I felt this inferiority arise. My friend spoke to me afterwards jokingly saying she felt she couldn't 'nick' a spa pen in the cafe in front of OHs sister because she seems this high flying career woman. And there's me with my kooky friends who don't all know each other, and me not being miss extrovert.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

12 replies

Latest activity by ~Peanut~, 13 May, 2012 at 16:57
  • *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

My thoughts? You need some help to combat your complexes I am afraid. I cannot see how you can feel this way when you have had a good hen do with your friends and family- get a grip.

• H
    Beginner May 2012
    happyharp ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, thanks for your post. I know my post looks that way to an outsider. I do need to deal with anxiety yes.

My OH's sister was a top civil servant-recently had her job cut, but now freelancer advising media empires. So she is quite a high flier.

I'm not embarassed about my friends being cosmic. However, OH' sister did look a bit disdainful when my friend started to talk about her heart chakra and the other one about chanting to change her situation. I don't think she really wanted to be there tbh. I felt I should invite her she felt she should attend some of it.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

sod her then.

• H
    Beginner May 2012
    happyharp ·
    • Hide content

Thanks. your being quite blunt but I like your points. My counsellor says I need a more '*** you' attitude.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am blunt but I think from the sound of your post you do need a bit of a verbal slap round the chops! You had a good time with your friends so why are you fussed that this woman didn't? Just look back at all the fun you did have on your hen do with your chums and forget her and her disdainful looks.

• H
    Beginner May 2012
    happyharp ·
    • Hide content

I know, thank you for your posts. it's all over now and it did feel good fun was had! And i am really grateful that friends came out and connected with each other.

OH's sister has had an overbearing influence in our relationship. OH likes to have her approval. What I want is to get to the head space where I truly don't care what she thinks. I'll get there.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

I'm a little confused as to what the actual problem is??

• H
    Beginner May 2012
    happyharp ·
    • Hide content

Hi Trickers,

It was a bit confusing. In a nutshell it was my OH's sister's presence on the hen which is the only thing I feel a put out about. I just chatted to my sister and thankfully I am not going mad! She said she found my OH's sister hard work, aloof and a bit snooty. She also thought she made no effort (almost to the point of rudeness) to my friend who had organised the spa. I trust my sister's judgement about my friends or associates. It annoys me because OH's sister has already made judgemental comments about me to my OH and my gut was telling me not to include her in the spa or hen because that vibe would be there. Which it was. So that upsets me that my friend probably felt uncomfortable (and I did see her wince). Probably, OH's girlfriend will make a judgemental comment about the quality of the hen to her husband. Both can be quite show-offy. He in particular really showed off about having 3 stag dos to include all his friends (one was in Barcelona) when I was confiding in him about my worries about my friends coming along.

So rather than this feel like a closed book with all its trials and stresses coming good. Now, I feel at the back of my mind she will make subtle put down comments about my hen to her friends and her husband. She is not a ***. She just thinks her perspective is absolute. It's quite incredible really. My boyfriend is being encouraged in counselling to stand up to his sister about the subtle put downs she does. My Mum says it will take years for him to see what she does and I should be more clever about it. But he did concede the other day she may be trying to exert her dominance (in the form of being right and better) with me. I told him I often leave a conversation with her feeling irritated. I'm pissed off I can't just say to him I had a great time because I also feel annoyed again about his own sister.

I remember going to my brother's wife's hen do and thinking it wasn't what I would completely choose but I also threw myself in to the moment.

She just is quite snooty and I'm a bit down I have to find a way of living with this because this is my OH's sister and I can't change that.

Any thoughts now it's clearer what the nub of the issue is would be welcome.

Thanks

• xlovebirdsx
    Beginner August 2012
    xlovebirdsx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Im kind of having this problem myself. My MOH moved to Australia, and while she will be here for the big day and my hen (im having the hen 6 days before the wedding so she can come) she isnt really able to take part in any of the planning. I was fine with this at first, I found a package I liked & booked it then sent the details out to everyone. But now its one thing that I wish I didnt have to worry about. I dont know if you've seen one of my other posts here but all we've booked so far is the venue, and Ive ordered my dress, and thats all the planning we've done (we have a 6 month old so have been very busy with him!) This means I know have a lot to sort out, so I asked all the girls that are attending the hen (9) if anyone would like to take over Id be very grateful, just things like making sure payments are made, organise room sharing, organise accesories, travel home etc. Well I asked nearly two weeks ago now and no one has offered :/ I dont mind doing it myself but I would have liked some help!

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content

Agree with the comments you've been getting and remember this, not everyone is the same. and not everyone can get on. If your sister in law to be can't recognise that ok, these might not be her type of people but so what, then that's her problem. you make it your problem but worrying about it when you shouldn't. i think the thing to remember is that in spite of her presumably knowing it in advance she came to your hen. stop stressing!

• cford09
    Beginner March 2013
    cford09 ·
    • Hide content

Phew, I feel like I need a nap after reading that and trying to make sense of it!

I know where you're coming from with the friends that don't know each other part as I'm in the same boat, I have lots of friends but I know them all from different places and in different ways and a lot of them haven't met, but that's something I'm actually looking forward to really! Your friends all have something in common that they like - YOU! Which is why I'm not worried about my hen being a bit of a mix.

In regards to your future sister-in-law, screw her! I'm sure if she spent the whole day being snooty, she was the one that looked daft, not anyone else! My future mother-in-law is a little like that but I just grin and bear her and have little rants about her on here when necessary! She lives in Wales so it's not too much of a problem!

Do you have to see your FSIL very regularly? If not, I wouldn't worry - if so, just make sure she realises how happy you and her brother are making each other and she should be happy for you too :-)

• H
    Beginner May 2012
    happyharp ·
    • Hide content

This is a message for lovebird.

I'm sorry to hear your having similar stresses to what I had. I initially organised a hen in Wales and emailed everyone not wanting to be deterred by people not helping organise things. As the wedding approached I became so stressed and realised fully why people oragnise a hen or stag for the bride/groom. My boyfriend was willing to ring people to get them moving. One friend apologised for not being supportive and confessed she felt inadequate to the task and had her own worries about marriage in general. I made a small innovation in my communication style with friends; I stopped saying "oh don't worry, it's ok" when they were letting me down and not meeting my needs but wanting to not feel bad about it themselves. Instead I didn;t say anything (uncomfortable silence) or just said "I feel really disappointed. I also realised I was way too low maintenance with friends and as a result was becoming more high maintenance for my partner who had to compensate for the shortfall.

I don't know if any of this helps you at all. It's separate from my downloading of my future sister-in-law which I haven't got the hang of mastering. But since the wedding planning started I've definitely gone on a journey with friends and practised being assertive as a communication style rather than being passive. It's not that friends wanted to take the piss. They saw me as easy-going and "oh she won't mind" type attitude.

Hope I'm saying something valuable.

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

I'm similar in that I stopped organising big birthday parties a few years ago because I found people always let me down, but I'm just thinking "whatever" with the hen, even if it just ends up being me, my mum, my sister and my two other bridesmaids that's fine with me, I just want to celebrate with the people who want to celebrate with me. I think the pressure these days to have a huge hen do is ridiculous and unfair to those who might not be able to afford it. It seems from previous posts that boys generally tend to be a lot more up for stag dos no matter the cost compared to hens. My OH is going to Madrid for a few days with 7 others, they're all up for it with no discussion and I know if I tried to organise something like that it would be a nightmare. I'm not really a big party girl anymore anyway and I can't be bothered to give in to the peer pressure to have a big piss up that I won't end up enjoying. Sod your OH's sister if she didn't enjoy your hen or like your friends, having money and living a supposedly glamorous lifestyle doesn't mean she's genuinely happy and it definitely doesn't mean she's better than you.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics