Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner April 2014

Hen Do - Abroad or Stay Home?

rosiep1983, 14 of June of 2013 at 12:07 Posted on Planning 0 11

I'm sure I'm not the first person to have this dilemma but what are people's thoughts on having your hen do abroad? I'm keen but at the same time, I'm worried it my alienate a few people I want to come but can't afford it. Is it better to stay homne and get a good turnout or go away with a smaller group, but have a better time?

11 replies

Latest activity by Jemima Renrut, 14 of June of 2013 at 17:07
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I chose to stay in the UK so everyone I wanted there could make it. We hired out a country house with a pool, hot tub etc for the weekend for 21 of us and it cost everyone about £160 all together inc food and booze. Was fantastic and I'd definitely do it again.

I also had a night out on a different weekend.

It's entirely up to you though!

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

I chose home. I started looking into the options to go abroad but when you tot up flights and spending money as well its more than you think. I decided for me I would have a better time if everyone could go and alot of my friends are saving for their own weddings and have kids etc so it just wasnt fair.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

Why not head to the beautiful Isle of Wight and have the best of both worlds?! ?

Plus you don't even need your passport.

I've booked an old converted Mission Hall in Chale on the island- the whole weekend (including treasure hunt supplies, steam train ride, minibus hire, picnic, morning at Chale pottery doing painting) cost about £175 per person, that's including my share cos I don't have to paaaaay! (darn right)

If you're interested, here's the website for the accommodation people, but there's loads of places on the Island.

https://www.vintagevacations.co.uk/

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

I did UK because of loads of girls with babysitting/cash issues. Tenner each. Smiley smile

• P
    Beginner July 2013
    PFY1980 ·
    • Hide content

I know one bride who is having 3 abroad hens - but not good for all

personally i asked ther ladies doing mine that it not cost much as i would hate it if my friends struggled

• R
    Beginner April 2014
    rosiep1983 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for responding - i think that's swaying me more towards home, i know from past experience going abroad, whislt fun, can be a real burden financially and i'd rather have all my friends there than anybody missing.kharv - i love the idea of the country house with hot tub, where abouts was it??? Smiley smile

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

100% at home.

People make the day not the location.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hereford Smiley smile

This was it: https://www.sykescottages.co.uk/cottage/South-Wales-Pembrokeshire-Vowchurch/The-Croft-4114.html

Warning - they get booked up very quickly! I couldn't fault a single thing about it. Pool, sauna, hot tub, gorgeous bedrooms, two sitting rooms, dining room that sits all of you, loads of land. Absolutely perfect! Argh - I wanna go back!

• SarahW73
    Beginner September 2013
    SarahW73 ·
    • Hide content

I'm similar to you Bonnie. I'm going to Majorca next Friday for 3 nights, there'll be 10 of us. Then I'm having a local night out on August 2nd. There's almost 40 of us going to an 80's & 90's disco at a hotel. It's my 40th celebration as well :o)

Majorca has cost £350 but we're in a 4 star all inclusive hotel. My OH has paid £250 for 2 nights in Brighton which will be plus food, drink & travel expenses!

It was actually my bridesmaids who suggested & pretty much pushed me into going abroad! Obviously not everyone can afford it but if you do something cheap locally for those that can't make it you've got a win win. The hotel do is only £20 each & includes a 4 course meal x

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

Oooh that's a hard one, but with staying put in the UK you can keep the cost down. Trouble is when people have more than 1 hen do to go to over the summer it gets rather expensive! I like the country house idea someone mentioned!!

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Ive found uk also gives more options, a couple of my friends cant get the friday off work so are up later, where as abroad would have been all or nothing. If you want to go abroad sort it asap. People need time to budget as well as get it off work

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics