Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner July 2016

Hen do question!

dizzybusyblondebride, 4 of May of 2015 at 22:20 Posted on Planning 0 9

My two adult bridesmaids are organising my hen do, I am also having another bridesmaid, my mans niece - she'll be 16 when we get married. I have invited her mum (future sil to come and said she can invite a friend as well so she will know someone else going) I was with her last week and she asked if the girl could come on the hen do. I wasn't sure what to say as I wasn't really expecting her to ask so she said she'll befriend my moh on Facebook n ask her what they have planned so eg if we're going to a club she won't let her come cos the likelihood is she won't get in. I have put her off asking as I don't want my moh being put in an awkward position and it is so far away I don't want them to think they have to plan it based around a 16 yr old coming. I spoke to my fiancé and he said he's not happy she asked but doesn't really know what to say (he's also v v protective of his niece and doesn't want her near general hen do antics bit I've told him that's her mums call not his!) what would u do?! The mum has been great with some difficult family wedding issues as well so all about treading carefully!!x

9 replies

Latest activity by dizzybusyblondebride, 5 of May of 2015 at 18:12
  • T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I'd speak to your MOH/BM's and let them know the story. Depending what they have planned, maybe the niece can come to part (pampering/something at home) then not come to the evening out/club/drinks part. If its an over 18's event, then I'd make it clear to your SIL. I think your SIL should have checked beforehand, before inviting her underage daughter along!

Another option it to just have a meal out with the BM's and neice, and not have her come to the hen do at all.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I'm sure your BMs won't feel like they need to plan the hen do around the 16 year old so just tell them the situation and they can let your FSIL know.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I'm sure your BMs won't feel like they need to plan the hen do around the 16 year old so just tell them the situation and they can let your FSIL know.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I suppose it depends what you're doing? How do you feel about her coming?

As someone else has suggested, could you do a separate thing with her like an afternoon tea etc.

• ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆
    Beginner August 2014
    ☆♡☆VegasBride☆♡☆ ·
    • Hide content

Agree with what Teal said any way you could do something with her separate from the hen do? Dinner? Pamper session that way she will still feel involved xx

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

A lot of my family are tea-total so our plan is to go out for a nice meal or afternoon tea, and then the drinkers can go on to a bar from there but everyone still gets time together.

Could you do something similar with a nice afternoon tea with some mild hen shenanigans (loo roll dress etc) that she can come to and then those who want to have a boozey night can go on from there? If you're doing the whole sash thing she could still have that and get pictures with you all before you go out OUT!

• Lady Zith
    Lady Zith ·
    • Hide content

To be perfectly honest, my initial reaction to this was 'why on earth would you have a hen do without all your bridesmaids'? Personally I would expect your BM's who are organising to take into account the age of the other BM and plan something accordingly to include everyone that you would want to be there. Hen do's don't HAVE to be alcohol fuelled parties - they can be fairly civilised. It's not unusual to have a future MIL or other relatives at a hen do that don't want to descend into full party mode (or that you don't want to have see YOU in that state) but still want to be involved, so I guess it's about planning something appropriate?

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This!

Crikey.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

My daughter was my only BM so I couldn't have had my hen do without her, although I didn't expect her to organise it! She was only 16 at the time but came along to the whole thing. She is very shy and quiet and some of it was a little loud and brash for her, but she coped with it and it was fine.

I would ask your OH's niece herself whether she would like to come and if so, then just let your adult bms know that she will be there. Ask them to be a little considerate of her age, and to make sure she will be allowed in wherever you end up going, but otherwise let her get on with it.

• D
    Beginner July 2016
    dizzybusyblondebride ·
    • Hide content

I had planned to do like an afternoon tea so they could all be a part of and was just aware as we are going to a cottage for the weekend it is a bit harder for her to bob in and bob out of activities

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics