Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becklarrr
Beginner

Hen do stress

Becklarrr, 18 of October of 2013 at 13:59 Posted on Planning 0 15

So i have 3 bridesmaid, on is my best friend and my chief bridesmaid the other 2 are a friend and my cousin.

They are in the process of organising my hen do and I've told them what I want, a spa cottage with some sort of activity on the saturday and then to a pub on the saturday evening with some drinking etc. Now I'm not a very big drinker and know that if i had a big weekend i would end up being sick on the first night and spoiling the rest of my weekend. Everyone knows this about me.

Now me & my CB have found the perfect weekend, a spa cottage that sleeps up to 18 people not very far from a beach etc, then surfing on the Saturday and then back to the cottage on the saturday afternoon to use the spa facilities and then on to a local pub for a nice meal and a few drinks and then home on the Sunday. THis sounds great to me and for £150pp (incl. the activities) i think it is pretty good!

My other 2 BM have completely other ideas. They want to go to Southampton, go out on the Friday, do "it's a knockout" on the Saturday then out again the Saturday night and then for a cream tea on the Sunday. Now it sounds fun but it;s £250pp (staying in a travelodge) and to be honest i won't be able to handle 2 nights out!

My other 2 bm are making a massive deal about me wanting to do the spa weekend, they think it will be "boring". Surely it's my hen do I should do what I want to do so either they just get on with it or don't bother coming right?

Sorry for the rant but out of the whole wedding planning i don't want to be stressed about a poxy hen do which i would quite happily not have!

15 replies

Latest activity by Becklarrr, 23 of October of 2013 at 12:20
  • Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

I think your stuck...

yes you should get what you want its YOUR party

but

I everyone else hates it no one will come (unlike the wedding hen dos arnt deemed necessary and are a lot of money for someone hows not interested)

as always maybe you need to compromise:

tell them you do NOT want 2 nights of drinking

give them a budget that they have to stick to (to stop over spending)

have you considered something like chocolate making etc.... where you dont have to get drunk

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content

95% of me agrees with you, that the whole weekend should be arranged about what the bride will want and if others find that boring then that's their problem. I'm sure some people found my hen do boring. We rented a house, staying in both nights, ordered catering and went out to try clay shooting on one of the days. It was exactly what I wanted, a relaxing weekend with my friends.

5% does think though that these things should be planned with some thought to what others might want to do, and by that I mean considering whether there are activities planned that some people really won't want to do, or planning a weekend that is so regimented and packed that people don't have any time to relax at all.

I wouldn't be too worried that people might be bored, but you know your friends. What do you think the others would like to do? I know my friends would love the spa weekend.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Whatever you decide, try and refrain from being "if you don't like it, don't come" as this will inevitably lead to more problems down the line.

Find out what other people coming want to do - would they all enjoy surfing? I know I wouldn't come if that's what was planned, I guess you must have a lot of surfey friends...

I think you need to speak to your bms and explain that you don't want two nights of drinking but are willing to add another activity in perhaps?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

If you end up going to Southampton then you don't have to get drunk you are in control of what you consume so I wouldn't worry about that side of things. It's a knockout looks like amazing fun too. I would send an email with the proposed options spa break, weekend in Southampton and go with the majority vote.

• BrideCummins14
    Beginner April 2014
    BrideCummins14 ·
    • Hide content

I think give guests an option - send an email saying what would preople prefer! I am lucky enough to be going away for my hen so I have said I don't care what we do when we are there as we're all together and thats the main thing. You need to make sure you are happy but also consider that its costly for people so you want them to look forward to it as well - good luck

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is excellent advice.

I organised mine with my sister in law and my mum and my 2 BMs came up with things to surprise me throughout the day / night.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Southampton? Wtf? ? I am in the minority here but I would tell them that you are getting the spa cottage and if they don't want to come they can have a night out in the kicking metropolis that is Southampton by themselves.

• L
    Beginner December 2012
    LEN11212 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Brilliant!

• lil_2014
    Beginner July 2014
    lil_2014 ·
    • Hide content

Maybe your BMs think it will be boring for you as well and they are arranging everything with the best ineterest in their hearts, planning as if it was there own Hen do, after all, I think there is a huge pressure Hen and Stag dos are like the best night out ever.

I'd think your BMs, more than anyone, would know you are not the party animal, and all it could take is you voicing your concerns like you did to us, and letting them know your feelings, you wouldn't be happy with their plans, and you don't mind a "boring" hen do, and that's what you have in mind.

Have you tried to arrange a face to face to discuss this, as it is usually easier and better to put your feelings across?

Good luck!

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

I am with you on this. It is not playing the 'it's my hen do, like it or lump it' card, but it is actually supposed to be a weekend based around you, and with you in mind. I struggle to see how a nice night in a spa cottage is that offence to anyone, whereas 2 nights out and 'it's a knockout' would be to lots of people. Personally, I would just plan it yourself! That was you can tell people a definite plan, get excited, and they can get excited with you!

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

I'm with you on this one Becklarr - they can go to Southampton for their own hens when the time comes.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I think it's your hen party and you should therefore do what you want, it's important that you enjoy it. Your other BM's can go to Southampton for their own hen parties.

• MrsBeckiW
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsBeckiW ·
    • Hide content

Although I agree that you should bare in mind whether other people will have a good time or not, I say do what YOU want.

Tell them that you would really like them to come and that they can feel free to do what they want on their hen do.

My sister and MOH sent me a form to fill in with all kinds of silly questions about what I want and don't want to do. I know that a few of my friends would love me to include assault courses, horses, roller coasters, nudity, dinosaurs, zombies, shots etc. but these made it onto my avoid list.

Then again, I have a few friends that hate shopping so I have also asked them to avoid any long shopping periods.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Agree!

I've had a similar but not completely the same issue.

I had discussed with my BMs about where we should go, Amsterdam was suggested and we worked out it would cost the same as it would cost to go somewhere in the UK. I'd always wanted to go there so BM 1 said we should go for it, BM 2 stopped replying to messages and has been nothing but awkward (I actually started a thread on this).

Anyway, the reason I'm telling you this is that despite BM2 being a pain, the feeling with the hens has been that it's my hen so they're more than happy to do whatever makes me happy.

Therefore..... Stick to your guns and do what you would prefer. They'll have their own hen weekends one day (probably), they can dictate what they do then.

• Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

wow... your avoid list sounds awesome, I love to know what the could do with zombies, roller coasters and dinosaurs ?

• Becklarrr
    Beginner
    Becklarrr ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies. My & my CB have decided to take matters into our own hands and organise it ourselves ?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics