Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

AuntieBJ
Beginner September 2014

Hen night blues

AuntieBJ, 12 of August of 2014 at 09:51 Posted on Planning 0 10

I have no idea what is happening for my hen night. I handed it over to my three best friends with clear instructions and a list of people to invite and left them to it.

First, there were issues with my sister who got the sulks because I didn't ask her to help, she is now helping.

Then there were issues with cost which I ignored, or tried to. I reassured myself all was ok by chatting quietly with mum and let that one go.

Now I hear that of the 30 invited, only 9 are attending, 5 of whom are related to me. I'm not meant to know this, but certain people find it hard to keep their mouths shut.

While some have valid excuses, it turns out that a whole bunch aren't coming because their daughters have a majorettes competition the following day. All very well, but my daughter is at the same event and not only am I going on my hen night, but she is too. My sister's children are involved, but she is coming and two of the other mums are coming. Therefore, I'm having trouble understanding why this is an excuse.

Added to that, the competition is just for fun and therefore voluntary and the date of the hen night was arranged before the competition.

Maybe I'm being unreasonable and a bit of a bridezilla, I don't know. But actually, I just feel really hurt that not one of my friends has had the guts to tell me they aren't coming.

I'm just having a rant really, so feel free to tell me to shut up or give me a kick up the bum!!!

10 replies

Latest activity by MrsKHbutterfly, 13 of August of 2014 at 17:03
  • MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

Oh hun, didn't want to read and run.

Mine was this weekend and I was feeling exactly the same as you. I had no idea what was going on and nearly didn't go.

Think of quality over quantity. The people that are coming are the ones who will make the night for you. Have they not told you because they aren't sure you're meant to know who was invited? I know you gave your best friends a list but they might not have said that you knew who was being invited.

I don't think you're being a bridezilla. It's a big night for a bride to be and we all have visions of how it'll turn out. Is there any way your friends who have the competition the next day could maybe join you earlier in the day?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This. I decided to just have me and my two bridesmaids, no one else really matters! I hope you have a great time and all your worries melt away on the day x

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

Oh love, that sucks. Are you sure that they're not just misleading you and trying to throw you off the scent? Those people might be coming after all and it's all a ruse to stop you guessing anything?

If that isn't the case, and they're not coming, well then better off that way. Sounds like they'd be terribly boring and ruin your night, so you don't want people like that there. The ones who are coming will make sure you have a wonderful night and enjoy yourself to the maximum!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Oh Bekki - I don't like to see you sad, you are one of the loveliest hitchers!!

I had similar gripes and moans with mine. The only thing I could do was just shut out all the worry noise in my head and look forward to some nice surprises. You saw how that turned out!

In life, I'm sure you know this already, some people will make you feel sad and down, other people will make you feel amazing ... you just have to choose which ones to focus on.

Chin up Bek love ... nearly your wedding day ?

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much ladies! I will try and remember that quality of friendship is what matters, and not quantity.

To answer a couple of things, they did know that I knew they were invited and had all expressed excitement about coming.

The hen is, so I'm told, in sections so the option is there to attend parts if wanted.

I'm pretty certain they aren't misleading me as the person who can't keep her mouth shut didn't tell me directly, but spoke loudly within my hearing.

SW, you nearly made me cry there!!! And you reminded me that things can turn out to be amazing, even when you think they will be a disaster so thank you xxx

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Late to this, but didn't want to read and run. I echo SW.

? Here's to a fabulous hen!

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Aaw - hugs hun. FWIW, I think too big and you don't see everyone anyway and people can splinter off into groups, a smaller number of people you are closer to can be much better and far more meaningful. Either way it is soon your wedding and that's what matters. Enjoy your party with the ones who really matter because in life, while it's nice to have lots of friends etc, in reality it's a far fewer number that really matter. x

If it helps, for many reasons I think my hen will be just my daughter and me!

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

Isn't it crap when people you think are friends make excuses and let you down? I've had that before and its not nice. Could this be an excuse to have a second hen night? One that they can all go to? Make it with an activity that you need deposits for, that way they need to commit money and can't back out as easily.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oh no. Nuh uh sistah! They missed their chance to be on your hen do. Missed it. Fools.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No way. If they can't be bothered with the first one, chances are they wouldn't with the second. Anyway, the hen night is 9 days before the wedding so no time! And my finances are severely stretched now, I can't afford two hens lol

• MrsKHbutterfly
    Rockstar September 2014
    MrsKHbutterfly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^ this!^^ sorry am a bit late to this one but just wanted to say, try not to worry about it, the ones who are there will make it a great night, and am sure some of the others have genuine reasons. I had 5 drop out of mine, 3 of which were oh's sister, sil and mother! so just meant it was my friends and family which worked out well. 2 of my best girls, who are the party goers of the group went home straight from the meal which really upset me as they were all about the "we're going to have a great night, lots of dancing and partying, and this is the only one you'll ever have etc etc " so when they left i felt myself getting teary and another close friend snapped me out of quickly by pointing out everyone else who had stayed for me!

I was still miffed the next day when the closest of the 2 friends had said she'd left because of money - but has then asked if i will go on her leaving do's with her (yes she is having 2!) from the company i left 18 months ago, but you know it actually didn't ruin my night, i still danced it away with my blow up doll (don't ask lol!) did the awful dares and had a fab time!!

xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics