Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

MrsLtobe
Beginner April 2012

Hen night, drinking, pregnancy?

MrsLtobe, 15 February, 2012 at 11:10 Posted on Planning 0 28

Hey all!

This is probably going to sound very silly, but if you don't know it's best to ask, right?

Me and OH are starting to try for a baby (yay!), I've been off the pill for just over a month and we've been trying since then, my hen night is next Saturday, is it worth doing a pregnancy test before that to know if I can drink or not, or should I not bother?

I'd ask my mum, but we're not telling anyone yet! haha

Katie

28 replies

Latest activity by laura9889, 16 February, 2012 at 12:18
  • Jonesey
    Beginner June 2012
    Jonesey ·
    • Hide content

Yes I would do a test a few days before. Better to be safe than sorry. However if you are pregnant and not drinking on your hen do surely it would be obvious to everyone that you're pregnant?

I know if I didn't drink on my hen do my friends and mum would twig straight away.

• MrsLtobe
    Beginner April 2012
    MrsLtobe ·
    • Hide content

True! I may have to tell my mum, but tell everyone else I'm on antibiotics or something... eek! OR be crafty and swap drinks?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

If you do say you're on antibiotics you might need to be a bit clever about it. You can drink on nearly all antibiotics now - there are only a few that specify not to. Might be worth finding out what they are and what they treat.

• MrsLtobe
    Beginner April 2012
    MrsLtobe ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I didn't know that, thank you! Smiley smile

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Do you know where you are in your cycle?

I.e. If you are in the first part, between you period and ovulation, you can drink away.

If you are post ovulation, then there is a chance you are pregnant and so may not want to drink. A pregnancy test may well only show up positive if you are more than 14 days past ovulation (i.e. day your period is due), so even taking a test wouldn't necesarily show you are pregnant if it is less than 14 days since conception/ovulation.

• MrsLtobe
    Beginner April 2012
    MrsLtobe ·
    • Hide content

I don't know Smiley sad

I stopped taking the pill halfway through the pack, haven't had a period since coming off of them?

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I would say, if you haven't had a period yet, your body hasn't quite got into the swing of things. But that is totally normal for your cycle to take a few weeks to get back to 'normal' (in particular if you were on the mini pill).

Were you on the mini Pill? Because I would still expect a bleed, even if it is lighter than usual if you stopped taking the combined Pill halfway through a pack. So if you didn't have a bleed after stopping the combined pill, I would definitely take a test!

If it has been more than a month since your last period, a test should be reliable now (providing you had 'normal' cycles to begin with). Good luck!

• MrsLtobe
    Beginner April 2012
    MrsLtobe ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your help guys! Sorry I'm rubbish at knowing any of this! Can't remember when my last period was exacty... I was on Brevinor, is that the mini pill?

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

For the sake of a fiver 7 your peace of mind...i'd do one

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

Brevinor is a combined Pill. So you take it for 21 days, the have a 7 day break (or take fake pills if you packet was 28 pills) when you get your 'period'.

Even if you only took say 10 Pills of the packet, you should still get a little bleed when you stop as in those 10 days, your womb lining will have built up a little. Or maybe that's just me!

Sorry I am no help! I guess you will just have to take a test Saturday, and take it from there. If the test is negative, I say enjoy your night. There is no point worrying what if, when chances are you are not currently pregnant if you have a negative result (especially with a first response).

• DaffyB
    Beginner June 2012
    DaffyB ·
    • Hide content

Metronidazole is an antibiotic that you definately cannot drink with. If you did you'd be violently sick. I've heard that it can be given to alcoholics to stop them wanting to drink. I had it when I had nasty wisdom tooth infections, but can be for any tooth infections, although generally only if the penicillin types don't work.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

My sister became pregnant recently and fooled us all by drinking non-alcoholic wines and beers without us even knowing!

Sneeky eh?!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the blighter.

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Metronidazole is also used the treat certain STI'S!!! A tooth problem is a much better excuse though.

Do you remember when you had intercourse? Dont forget, that sperm can remain alive in the uterus up to 5 days. If you had intercourse, then, on say day 5 you ovulate, (& become pregnant) it would still be another 14days before a test may be positive. Some pregnancy tests are more sensitive than others. Even then, being so early, it may not show up. Remember to use the first urine of the day as its more concentrated.

A blood test can tell you earlier if you are pregnant, but a GP wont do a test unless you have already had a positive urine dip. I know its wrong, but they only way I can see you getting the blood test, would be to tell your GP you did a postive urine test. (You'd have to take a pregnant friends urine with you, as they may do another test in the surgery), then, if they ask you to give a urine sample there, put your friends uring in their pot. Very devious, & I wouldnt recommend this option, but might be the only way to get a confirmation either way.

I personally wouldnt risk having a massive night if there is a chance you might be pregnant.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

You can do a test shortly before or on the morning of your hen night but are you prepared to find out you are pregnant on such a day? It's a big shock to the system and it will be all you can think about :-) you could play safe and try and sneakily drink soft drinks all night or one or two drinks will be fine to have...?

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Well, I have to say, I think you're brave trying so soon to the wedding! I felt horrendously sick just three days after finding out and I was also completely exhausted and in bed by 8pm every night. I have two children and I had the same both times.

Also, I my opinion, the "I'm on antibiotics" is the oldest one in the book. I'd see right past that.. Sorry!!

H x

• lisaanne
    Beginner April 2012
    lisaanne ·
    • Hide content

Ideally you shouldn't drink if you're trying to get pregnant anyway, so i've heard. Keeping your body healthy in preparation and all that. Are yuo sure you want to be pregnant on your wedding day? You won't be able to drink then either - and people will def notice!

• emze2011
    Beginner September 2013
    emze2011 ·
    • Hide content

If you haven't had a period yet, your body proberly isn't even ovulating, i would do a 2 mornings before the hen, then another one on the morning. the likelyness of you getting pregnant the first month after stopping the pill is so tiny, and as you stopped half way through it will be even less as the pill will still be working for a while after you stop taking them.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

This sooo wouldn't wash with my friends...

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

'getting pregnant the first month after stopping the pill is so tiny'

I have to dissagree. The hormones in contraceptive pills leave the body quickly, hence you need to take 1 every 24hrs. Yes, the fact you havent had a withdrawal bleed is odd, BUT, you are just as likely to get pregnant the 1st month after stopping the pill as any other time. Its a fallacy to think it cant happen.

• M
    MissWin ·
    • Hide content

I agree! I got pregnant straight away with my son and it wasn't far off with my daughter either! X

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    laura9889 ·
    • Hide content

I found out I was pregnant a few days before my 21st bday party! And didn't want to tell anyone till after I'd told my mum my sister found out within 10 minutes when she found out I was drinking lemonade! Then I think everyone knew before the end of the night!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics