Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

jojobride
Beginner February 2012

Hen Night Organising - it's getting stressful...

jojobride, 12 April, 2011 at 21:57 Posted on Planning 0 3

This is my first post on here - hello!!

I'm organising the hen do for my best friend who's getting married this year. I've been in touch with all the hens for several months now, and am getting increasingly frustrated with it all!

I asked everyone to nominate a weekend they could do, and picked the one which most people could make. So far so good. I've organised accommodation for those who are travelling (some from a LONG) way away - 3 nights for about £50 a head altogether. The bride's brief was to make the whole event non-traditional (no willy straws and sashes, more vintage and cupcakes), and cheap so everyone could afford.

Everyone who needs accommodation was fine with that, and we all paid her share between us. Some of the hens live locally to the destination, and have opted to stay at their homes (which I understand, but think is a bit of a shame).

We're having a night out (dinner and drinks) on the Friday - each person can choose how expensive this is. On the Saturday we're going to a country house which the bride has always wanted to visit (won't say too much in case she is on here and can guess who I am!) - this is about £8. We can have lunch for £15 or afternoon tea (cheaper).

Sat night is a night in, with a theme dinner (again, don't want to say too much). Everyone is bringing a bottle, we'll order in some M&S food and share the cost, and we'll be in fancy dress (someone is taking care of her costume). It will be about £10.

Sun is two activities, one is £10, one is £8.

Some of the hens (the ones who are local) are a) saying they can't afford various events and b) suddenly saying they can't make various bits of it for reasons that frankly seem a bit lame and last minute. I've booked various things based on the numbers who originally said they could come - and now a lot of this has to be changed.

I feel really resentful that they aren't making the effort. I've said as much, and been told that I was too harsh - that money isn't available, and that people have commitments. But her hen do only happens once! And I really don't think it's expensive - the planned activities are a total of £51 max, possibly less. I've worked so hard planning this, and getting together little elements to surprise the bride and the rest of the hens. I'm flying in, so for me it's more expensive than the others anyway, but I knew this in advance, and budgetted for it. Why haven't they done the same?

Sorry - rant over - I promise I'm normally really relaxed and fun! Anyone have any advice?

xx

3 replies

Latest activity by jojobride, 13 April, 2011 at 13:22
  • SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

Hello jojobride!

Firstly, well done you for organising three days worth of activities for £51 and 3 nights accomodation for £50!

Probably not the most useful advice but I don't think there's much you can do. If people don't want to go/can't afford it for whatever reason, you're unlikely to be able to change their minds. I'd stick to your guns and go ahead with what you've planned. The people who really want to go and be there for your friend will do so. I can imagine how annoying it is for you though for them to turn around at this stage and say they can't go anymore.

Good luck with the rest of your planning xx

• jojobride
    Beginner February 2012
    jojobride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks SoontobeMrsB - I think you're probably right. I need to take a deep breath and move on from it. Hopefully this will be the last hitch and the weekend will go smoothly!

When it comes to my hen do, though (which my friend will be organising, together with my sis) - I shall warn them to get people to sign in blood in front of a lawyer before booking anything! I might also rethink the vague list of hens i had in my head. Flaky people not required!

Hope your planning is going well also.

xx

p.s. I promise my next post will be happy! We're (fingers crossed!!!squeee!!) booking the venue this weekend, and meeting the vicar to book the church! So excited!!!

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

I am a bridesmaid in Oct.............Now I love my friend dearly but at the minute I could strangle her. I have asked for a list of people she wants to invite.................that was 4wks ago.................she doesn't know what or where she wants to go.

At least it we make planning more interesting.?

• jojobride
    Beginner February 2012
    jojobride ·
    • Hide content

Ha - so presumably you have free rein than Doris!! Good luck.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics