Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C

Hen Party

Cindyc1986, 29 of March of 2015 at 04:26 Posted on Planning 0 7

My best friend and maid of honour at my wedding has recently got engaged and I couldn't be happier. I live in the states while she is at home in the UK so I was even more delighted when she sent me a card asking me to be her maid of honour also. My family all live in the UK so I always ensure I visit every summer and Christmas and the wedding has been booked for this Christmas so I couldn't be more excited. As maid of honour I have already got in touch with the other bridesmaids to plan the hen party. It was agreed that a day/night out was sufficient as the cost can spiral when weekends or holidays are booked.

As I am only home during summer and Christmas I asked the bride if she didn't mind having the hen party being at either of those times which she was happy to do. However, in the last few days the bride has told me summer is too far away from the wedding date and 10 days before the wedding is too close so she would rather have it in November meaning I can't attend. My husband has told me to fly home whenever the hen party does take place but I just don't see the point in flying all that way and spending all that money for one night!

Am I being selfish in thinking the bride should have the hen party when I am available?

I am now feeling very down about the whole thing as I don't feel part of it. I was hoping the hen party would be a chance to get to know the other bridesmaids better as we don't really know each other and also break the ice for all the other guests at the hen who will also be at the wedding. Now I just feel a little awkward about the whole thing.

Do I tell my friend how I really feel or do I say nothing?

7 replies

Latest activity by Cindyc1986, 29 of March of 2015 at 17:30
  • P
    Beginner July 2016
    PrettyFlower ·
    • Hide content

Well I think you did right initially by asking if it was okay if it was held in those months you could make it, and she was fine with that. I would maybe talk to her again in case she has forgotten that you may not be able to attend.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

While I can understand you feeling a bit out of it, this is all about her, not you, so to give a blunt answer to your question: yes, you are being a bit selfish asking her to have her hen do at a time to suit you.

Having said that you are obviously very important to her as she has asked you to be a key part of her day despite not living geographically close to her. if you are keen to meet and get to know the other BMs then why not suggest a low-key unofficial 'mini hen' when you are over before the wedding - let her know that it's important to you to do a good job for her as MOH and you'd like to meet the other BMs if possible.

Also, as someone who planned her wedding in a different country to her MOH, there are still ways you can have a key role in the planning. I had a little list of 'secrets' that my MOH made up that only she and I discussed in the planning to keep it special - dress colour, flowers and jewellery were the main ones. She took my mum with her when she went shopping for her dress and shoes and they skyped me from the shop so that I could be with them. I included my MOH along with my mum and 2 other close friends in my dress shopping trip by taking photos of each dress and asking them to vote for their fave.

I don't think she's likely to change her mind about the hen (and I would have to agree with her about the 10 day thing - I couldn't have fit a full hen day into the 10 days before my wedding) but there is nothing wrong with letting her know how important it is for you to share as much of the build up to her big day as possible and there are heaps of ways to go about doing that, even at a distance.

• C
    Cindyc1986 ·
    • Hide content

I understand it's not about me but when I look back at my hen party I just can't imagine celebrating without my maid of honour present. It's not just myself who lives out of the country- another of the bridesmaids also lives in Canada and comes home during summer and Christmas too so I guess I just thought it would be nicer celebrating with more ppl at a convenient time rather than less closer to the wedding date. I will absolutely be there as much as I can beforehand and most definitely on the day.

I will suggest the mini hen and see how it goes Smiley smile

Thanks for feedback- think I needed brutally honest answers lol!

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

As the others have said, suggest a meet up with everyone in summer, meal and drinks sort of thing. But yes you are being selfish expecting her to organise things around you, I f it were me I would be the same as the bride regarding not wanting it months early or so close to the wedding.

• C
    Cindyc1986 ·
    • Hide content

Think I'm starting to see it more clearly now. Was so upset when I first found out. One big disadvantage that comes with living so far away from home.

Definitely not going to let my feelings get in the way. She deserves a great day and lots of excitement in the lead up.

Thanks ladies!

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Yorkshire Kiwi gave some good advice. I think with weddings and hen do, sometimes it's best to accept that not everyone the bride wants to be there can make it but it doesnt necessarily mean they dont care. Its not unreasonable for the bride to request the hen do is at a date that is convenient for her. Its also not unreasonable of you to decide not to fly back to the UK for one day. There are oceans between you and Im sure if you lived in the same town or next town, you would definitely be there. It might be worth sounding out the Canadian bridesmaid to see what she is doing. You could prepare a surprise video to be played at the hen do sending the bride your best wishes, that might be a nice way of showing her you are thinking of her.

• C
    Beginner September 2011
    ciara2bemrs ·
    • Hide content

Tell your friend - you're only here once!

• C
    Cindyc1986 ·
    • Hide content

I love that idea!! Thank you Smiley smile

We both won't be travelling so that's a lovely thing to plan!

The main thing is we will all be at the wedding Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics