Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Curious June 2022 Cambridgeshire

Hen party advice

Expensivepurplebridesmaid50886, 20 of January of 2021 at 08:55 Posted on Planning 0 2
Hi guys,

I was originally due to get married Summer 2020 with my hen party abroad being in June 2020. This was obviously cancelled and we managed to get everything moved over to this year with no problems.
In October 2020 me and my partner decided to postpone the wedding another year as we want to have a big wedding with hopefully less restrictions so we moved the wedding to summer 2022. The hen party stayed booked for summer 2021 to save messing around. However, I have now found out that I am pregnant and I’ll be too heavily pregnant to fly. The majority of my bridal party including myself assumed that the hen would be moved to 2022 apart from a few attendees. A couple of the guests are expecting to be able to cancel the hen completely and get full refunds (this isn’t possible) and the organiser/ bridesmaid of the hen party was expecting to still go and for everyone else to go with out me.
I had spoken with the organiser around Christmas time and told them that I would be contacting our accommodation booking (as I booked this part) to see about postponing the booking to or see what our options are for cancelling and booking something else next year. So when the new year came around I got in touch with the accommodation to discuss this and told the organiser what I had done. The organiser was shocked and confused at what I had done as they were still expecting everyone to go on the hen do with out me. I explained that guests don’t want to go because I am not going and because of the current covid situation everyone is unsure if we will even be able to travel in the summer but most guests are happy to postpone until next year. I advised the organiser to contact anything else that had been booked and see about postponing or possible cancellation/ credit note option. The organiser took this as that I wanted to cancel the whole hen party and is now very upset with me. They feels that everyone has gone behind their back and made plans without informing them. I now feel terrible and feel like I have offended them.
From what I understand the activities booked can be moved over to next year or we can get a 50% refund. I have suggested postponing but the organiser doesn’t want to do this. The accommodation that has been booked can’t be refunded or moved so I think we may lose money on this.
I don’t know what to do. Should I contact my bridesmaid and try to patch things over with them and explain myself again or leave all bookings how they are. The only problem with this is the majority of the hen party don’t want to travel this year or go without me but. If we cancel the party we will lose a lot of money. If we postpone the hen party we will lose a little bit of money and risk being in the same situation this time next year with travel restrictions

2 replies

Latest activity by April21Bride, 20 of January of 2021 at 11:27
  • RomanticBrownStationery29719
    Dedicated
    RomanticBrownStationery29719 ·
    • Hide content
    I don't think you have to feel bad at all tbb. This is YOUR henparty. Not your bridesmaids, she is being totally unreasonable. If you are not there then its naturally to assume it won't go ahead. Also travelling pregnant in the middle of a worldwide pandemic is not sensible so no one should make you feel bad about cancelling.
    The chances that you can have a henparty in the classic sense this summer are slim too, vaccines won't be completed by then and being pregnant you can't even get the vaccine so travelling is far to risky.
    I think talk to your bridesmaid but she needs to understand that she is wrong. Sorry but its straight like this. This should be for you. If you can't go then its not happening. Its not a girls trip she planned as such but a hen do. No hen= no hen do. If the others all wanted to go for a holiday obviously they could but as this is not the case and other guest like to postpone/ cancell too, for very good reasons, she just has to accept its not happening.I think postponing is the way forward if your guests are happy with that. You won't loose much and she will still get her holiday just at a safe time. Things likely will look a lot different next year. Dont leave the bookings as they are, as you will just end up with more angry bridesmaids/ guests. As its clear you are not going and they don't want to either! So not postponing or cancelling is practically wasting/ loosing their money too when they clearly voiced their opinions. Just make sure that everyone know that 100% refunds won't be happening. Maybe also see who is still up for next year. If people are not happy with moving/ spending more money next year then cancel now. In that case make sure everyone know the costs involved in cancelling and instead organise something closer to home once things are more predictable. best of luck.
  • April21Bride
    Rockstar July 2021 West London
    April21Bride ·
    • Hide content
    First of all congratulations on your pregnancy. Recognise that you wouldn’t want to travel this year and agree it would be odd (well not a hen do - it would be a girls trip) for people to go without out you.

However, I don’t think it’s fair to keep people’s money for 2 years (summer 2022). Just as over night your circumstances changed (pregnancy) so could your attendees. They paid for a 2020 holiday/hen do and that’s not happened. Personally, I think for those not willing/able to commit to attending in 2022 you should offer to 100% refund them then look to sell to someone else closer to the time. Some may take the offer but others might decide they are okay to wait. It’s their choice.
    I understand it might be a lot of money but much in the same way those affected by postponement/frustrated contracts would expect their money back if a new date isn’t agreed with all suppliers. Your hen attendees should have the option.
    Good luck and hopefully there won’t be hard feelings either way.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics