Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner September 2022 East London

Hen party disaster

Millie, 30 of June of 2022 at 21:54 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi, just look for some advice!

I had my hen party recently - organised originally for 10 of us, 1 dropped out early one - two dropped out the day before and on the day. The first had a good reason, the second not so much.

I'd asked my MOH to plan, and while she's lovely and wanted everything to go well - planning is not her strong suit. Early on I made sure she'd got a date picked (created a Doodle poll for her and looked over her shoulder while she sent the message to the group) - but after that I relaxed, I told her just to make a smaller group with a few other bridesmaids who liked to plan, and let them do most of the work. But she's so reluctant to ask people for help (to 'bother them') I found out later she didn't do this. A month away from the date of the hen party (the hen party date was booked in a year in advance) I start to get messages from bridesmaids and other guests letting me know nothing was booked and they were starting to worry. MOH wasn't replying to their messages - I spoke to her and she was completely frazzled. She didn't want to 'bother' the others, but couldn't plan it herself. So I, essentially, took over, but secretly, because I knew if the others knew what I'd done my MOH would feel embarrassed, like she'd failed. So after a long week of back and forth - struggling to find things to do that hadn't been booked months ago (I warned her it was going to be a busy year for hen parties) I eventually found us some things to do - not my ideal hen party, but fine - I figured we'll get drunk it'll be fun. (and some might say - why give her that job if you knew she wouldn't enjoy it - she raised it first and I knew she'd take offence if she wasn't allowed to plan it).

I give her a list of things to do the day before - she's setting up in the airbnb (which is in our hometown) - and long story short she's said 'no' to help from the other bridesmaids, realises she doesn't have time to do it on her own, so I'm called in - getting the groceries, blowing up balloons, making sandwiches...really irritated but don't want to say anything because I know MOH already feels awful.

On the day - two bridesmaids are late - one by an hour and a half so she misses all of brunch. One is in a foul mood because she's hungover. We move on from brunch to cocktail making - we finish up after 2 hours in cocktail making and we're supposed to head back to the airbnb for games, food, etc. If I'm honest, the airbnb bit was the bit I was most looking forward to. Three of the bridesmaids ask to stay behind for a few minutes to finish their drinks (they had a tiny bit left, we only had two drinks each) - I say fine, but hurry up! An hour and a half later they finally come back - drunker, having clearly stayed for at least one more drink, and then gone to the shops to buy more drinks (we had plenty in the airbnb). They're so drunk that they're basically passing out and we've only done half of the day. One starts talking about going home early because she's drunk too much. At this point I'm so upset - I've had to plan my own hen, make the food, hang the decorations, etc. and now half the group disappears for almost 2 hours. I go upstairs and text my MOH to tell them I'm not well and they all go home. It might sound childish, like I was throwing a tantrum, and I probably was...lol...but I just feel so upset and so deflated. There's talk of throwing a hen party part 2, but I honestly can't think of anything worse Smiley sad Obviously I'm venting, but any advice??

4 replies

Latest activity by HappyGoldBridesmaid18836, 3 of July of 2022 at 08:16
  • Bobs
    Curious August 2023 South West London
    Bobs ·
    • Hide content
    Hi Millie.
    I’m really sorry that you didn’t have the hen party that you wanted. This is no reflection on you. I’m mostly
    surprised that your maid of honour declined help from your bridesmaids on so many occasions. Do you think that she perhaps has something going on or that she has moved on from the friendship?I had a best friend who I thought would always be there, however she wouldn’t even congratulate me on my engagement. I went through a series of emotions including desperation, anger and then acceptance!It took me several years to get over it, however it made me realise that how you perceive and value the relationship is very different to others.Im regards to your other friends, do you think that there’s a possibility that they realised that there was some tension in regards to the hen party and maybe felt that it was best to stay behind? Sometimes when we’re anxious or uncomfortable then we can avoid situations. Your friends obviously contacted you before with their concerns- could you maybe let one of themknow how disappointed you were and see if they could arrange another party? xx

• M
    Beginner September 2022 East London
    Millie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Bobs, thank you for reply! My MOH doesn't know any other members of the group, so quite possible that she just didn't feel comfortable asking for their help, because she doesn't know them - but they're a really nice group, so I just wish she would have done!

Hen Parties are always a bit awkward I guess, with a group that doesn't know each other that well - so maybe they sensed tension, but I wish they just would have got over it - I went to a hen where I only knew the bride, and I just sort of sucked it up, got chatting to the other guests. I think I'm still in the 'anger' stage, hopefully I'll get to acceptance - I will speak to them and let them know how I feel - thank you for your advice! x

• H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    I would be annoyed too. You MOH had plenty of time to get things organised and booked. I also think it’s a bit rude of the other guests to not stick with the party and behave the way they did.
    A second hen party might go sone way to make you feel better but personally I wouldn’t ask the MOH. It’s lovely that you don’t want to hurt her feelings but, at the end of the day, she could have done a little better.
  • H
    Dedicated May 2022
    HappyGoldBridesmaid18836 ·
    • Hide content
    Just to clarify…..I wouldn’t ask the MOH to organise, not suggesting you don’t invite her at all.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics