Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

E
Beginner September 2018

Hen Party - guest list advice

ExpensiveGoldBridesmaid56619, 22 of March of 2018 at 11:45 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hello All,

I'm getting married on the 1st September 2018 and my MOH is starting to push me into giving her a guest list for my hen party.

Firstly, I'm not overly keen on having a massive blow out and would really like it to remain low key and relatively inexpensive. Especially as we are getting married abroad and I don't want to make people pay £££ for a day/night out etc.

However, does any one know the etiquette regarding inviting my mum, my mother-in-law to be and my sister-in-law to be? Is this the done thing? Especially as the day/night's not going to have any strippers etc etc there isn't really the fear of doing something inappropriate in front of family members etc.

Any thoughts/advise would be appreciated Smiley smile

5 replies

Latest activity by ExpensiveGoldBridesmaid56619, 23 of March of 2018 at 11:50
  • H
    Beginner October 2018
    HappyBrownDecor18059 ·
    • Hide content

I don't know, but I'm keen to hear other people's answers! The last couple of hen-dos I went on were just the bride's friends, so I was picturing having the same, but a couple of weeks ago my mum started saying she was looking forward to the hen-do, eeek!! I might actually have two - one with friends and one with family..? No MIL though simply as she lives very far away and I really don't think she'd be into all of that at all. I suppose you could discuss it with your mum - I think some mums wouldn't even expect to come, whereas others might...

One thing that a friend mentioned to me though, that I think is worth bearing in mind, is apparently it's bad form to invite friends to the wedding and not the hen party (just talking about the bride's female friends here, not the groom's female friends, or the bride's family necessarily).

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content

I'm being bridesmaid for a friend this year, and her mum and MIL aren't coming, it's friends only.

I will be having my mum, stepmum and poss MIL at my own! It all comes down to your own relationship with your mum I guess. I'm very close to mine, she will be doing dress shopping with me, and we used to play rugby for the same team, so she's seen me drunk in nightclubs anyway! ?

Do you want them there, or do you just want it to be friends? Do what you want!

Also, the above post about inviting females to the wedding but not the hen do is a good point (and something I hadn't thought about - thanks!). Similarly, make sure people on your hen do invite list also have an invite to the wedding!

You can do a decent hen do on a low price - I went on a weekend away (Fri-Sun) in the UK for £150. That included accommodation (glamping in yurts) with a hot tub, all the food and loads of drinks, entry to a fairground, roller disco and beer festival. We had the best time!

Have fun! X

Edit to add - don't worry too much if your invite list seems really long - either lots of people will be able to make and you'll have a great time with lots of people you like, or not everyone will be able to make it, but there will still be enough people to make it feel like a celebration, and they'll appreciate the invite Smiley smile

• S
    Beginner April 2018
    shanmia35 ·
    • Hide content

I invited my SILs to my hen but arranged a separate spa day for my mum and aunts (MiL invited but couldn’t make it), as wasn’t sure if what we were doing would be Mum/aunt/MIL appropriate or if they would enjoy it

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Any I've ever been to have mums, mother-in-laws to be and the sister-in-law to be too but I don't want any of them at mine as I don't particularly like any of them and my mum always says the hen do is for "the young ones" so she wouldn't want to come anyway even if I did ask her! I'm just having a low key thing with a few close friends. I did go to a hen do and there was about 30 women there of ages ranging from mid 20s up to old aunties who were in their 70s. I personally felt 2 hen nights would have been better- 1 for young friends then 1 for older family members.

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a very tame hen do and have just invited everyone.

• E
    Beginner September 2018
    ExpensiveGoldBridesmaid56619 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Did not realise about asking all my female friends invited to the wedding for the hen. Will bear that in mind.

Not decided yet but I still have some time Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics