Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Beginner July 2010

hen party ideas and places to stay for cambridge

*hoppit*, 18 March, 2010 at 18:24 Posted on Planning 0 8

hello, I know a lot of you live near or in Cambridge and was just wondering if you knew of any cheap places to stay near the shops for a hen weekend. I live near Cambridge but dont actually go into it that often soo thought it would be nice, and its quite central fo other people, to have my hen party there. my sis is coming down this weekend so we can talk about ideas and try and finalise a few things. does anyone know of a cheapish place to stay, somewhere that might do cocktail making, a company to go punting with , there are soo many online so dont know if anyone has any recommendations, and some restuarants ro clubs to go. Is there a salsa club in Cambridge? went to one ages ago in edinburgh and had a fantastic time and thought it would be something that suited a range of ages and tastes. any other ideas would be appreciated or recommendations.

thank you in advance!!

8 replies

Latest activity by brideseekingblush, 20 March, 2010 at 09:36
  • 1Lucie
    Beginner May 2011
    1Lucie ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I live in Cambridgeshire. Unfortunatly i cant recommend any hotels as i havent stayed in Cambridge. But in regards to punting i would say not to pre book it because if you just turn up you can normally negoiate a better price. There are literally hundreds of punts by different companys and i would be extremly surprised if you couldnt get one. I have always just jumped on one in past. They seat quite a few ppl so im guessing you'd prob only need one or two punts unless your having really big hen do.

There is a Revolution bar in Cambridge and ive heard that some of them do cocktail making, i dont know if Cambridge one does or not. It might say on their website.

https://www.revolution-bars.co.uk/

I cant help with other questions unfortunatly as i dont have any experience. My work collegues regularly go out in Cambridge and swear its by far the best place to go (better than Norwich or Peterborough)!

Hope this helps

x

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content

I live there and I would say that the hotels are pretty pricey. We looked for one for my parents to stay in, but they ended up in my living room instead! Punting, I would have a word with them and get a deal. I took my parents and asked for locals rates, not tourist rates! There is a salsa place, one of our friends does it, not sure if it's an actual place or a hall that had a salsa night! I live in a pub so you could start in there and have a wave! Smiley winking Chop house is a fab restaurant, posh, but not too posh. Also got the normal pizza express and Ask type places. There are plenty of typical clubs and the huge wetherspoons for a few cheap drinks to get you on your way! There is a lovely cocktail bar which does lovely cocktails, but pricey, but they are large and strong! Can't remember the name, but i know where it is! I could be a lovely tour guide! We also have leaflets in our pub for freebies in town BOGOF drinks so I can check them out for you.

Sorry for chatting a lot of rubbish I had my first bottle of wine before 6! Whoopsie!

Beginner July 2010
    *hoppit* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

if that was the case for me I would be asleep by 7pm or on the floor!

thank you thats a good start, maybe I will have to look in the outskirts of cambridge then and look at park and riding it in for shopping and taxis.

good to know that its best to get punts on the day

• Mrs S*
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs S* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

On wine number 2 and we have cider and vodka for later! We're having a dissertation day and got bored so we decided to open the wine early! This is what it driving me to! There are 100's of punts and they're never full. When would you be planning the hen do for?

Beginner July 2010
    *hoppit* ·
    • Hide content

I think June time, poss the 2nd or 3rd weekend. Was going to do May then because of the bank holidays decided not too as I think it would be too expensive. no lateer than that cos then thats one month til the wedding for me to detox and get rid of any alcohol spots!

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

There is a premier travel in or travel lodge next to the cineworld in cambridge which also has a really nice chinese buffett there. I think its on hills road (next to the junction venue)

• amberlindsay
    Beginner April 2011
    amberlindsay ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Oooh - I live and grew up in Cambridge too and so know it inside out as well; happy to offer some advice. :-))

1Lucie is right; Revolution has cocktail making classes and I can guarantee they do them in Cambridge because I was at one in October last year for a hen night ;-) For about 12-14 of us; it cost £25 I think (sorry can't rememer exact price) and we had the bar upsatirs on the third floor to ourselves from 6:30 - 7:30 on a Saturday night - I'm not sure; but think that might be the last 'slot' on a Saturday evening. Anyway; for that; you get a glass of cheap bubbly each, an intro lesson from the barman and then a cocktail of your choice (from 4), which you make yourself. Once you've finished your cocktail making; they take you down to the main ground floor bar and you get to sit at your reerved table and they bring you plates of food (mini burgers, mini nuggets, mini pizzas etc) - to be honest; it's all really nice food and way too much for everyone to eat! We also had a chocolate fountain with donughts and strawberries to dip; not sure if that was included in the price. Anyway; Id recommend it if you want a loud crazy night; but if you were looking for sophisticated; then Revs is probably not the best place to go ?

Mrs Spink to be; I think I know the cocktail place you're talking about - is it the Snug, just down by the Catholic church? They do lovely cocktails; but yep - very pricey.

Also; Salsa - there is a Salsa club called Club Salsa on Station Rd; it's just a 5 minute walk from the Travelodge on Hills Road, which greenleaf mentioned above and is probably your cheapest bet for Cambridge.

oooh I love telling people about this kind of stuff; I knew there must be a reason I keep all this rubbish rattling around in this head of mine - lol?

Goodluck vickyc ?

PS: Ooh; just though; look at La Raza as somewhere to go too - it's an underground Tapas bar with live music and an area which becomes a dancefloor after 10pm; it's on Rose Crescent by the Market Square.

Beginner July 2010
    *hoppit* ·
    • Hide content

Thank you guys thats fantastic! theres no way I would've found about about these places myself. cant wait til my sis gets down here so I can show her all this stuff now as I am conscious that time is running out. sounds like just what I'm after!

• B
    Beginner July 2010
    brideseekingblush ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, this is a fun thread for me as I studied there 7 years ago and it's fun seeing what's changed! One thing I know is still there is Browns - my friend 'cos she has an LO had a birthday "afternoon tea" there, and that might be a nice way to start - or finish things off. We just had one with cucumber sandwiches and cake and scones, but they do an option with a glass of champagne as well and it's pretty good value. The resto is massive, and we had a huge table for about 14 of us, so you might want to consider that.

I used to absolutely adore this place for cocktails but I don't know what it's like now!

http://www.riverbarkitchen.com/location.asp

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics