Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2011

Hen weekend - Cheltenham?

SouthB2B, 28 November, 2010 at 19:31 Posted on Planning 0 41

Anyone know Cheltenham? Am considering it for my hen weekend. Looking for somewhere with good restaurants and a couple of great bars with late license, dancing and cocktails! I went to a ben weekend in Bath recently and loved it but want to go somewhere different for mine. We're all Southern or London so looking for somewhere in the south. TIA for thoughts on Cheltenham or other locations! x

41 replies

Latest activity by SouthB2B, 3 December, 2010 at 17:14
  • stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

OH and I went there once for a weekend away and there were some really nice restaurants ? We also went to the racecourse and had a really fun day out there!

Afraid I can't help much more than that though.

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    SouthB2B ·
    • Hide content

I did wonder if nightlife might be a bit quiet. looking for a great bar or two with late license, rather than clubs, but still want there to be enough going on. I live near Portsmouth and have been to Brighton and Bournemouth a lot so ideally looking for somewhere new. Oxford was also on the list if Cheltenham is a bit quiet?

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    SouthB2B ·
    • Hide content

Yep Gunwharf isn't from us at all (though admittedly don't actually get there that often!). Reading is a good shout though, haven't had a night out there before... Thanks!

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

Bristol would not be a bad bet... but lots of hen and stag parties come here..... but very good transport link etc etc

• videogal
    videogal ·
    • Hide content

Cheltenham is beautiful - I had my hen weekend there - travelled from home on the Friday evening and all we did was have champagne, facemasks and stayed up chatting til very late - we stayed at the Cheltenham Park Hotel. On the Saturday morning we had a full english breakfast at Del Boys Cafe in town before a great shopping expedition and the fun of getting our hair trimmed before going back to the hotel to get ready! There are some lovely bars in town (shame I can't remember what they were called). On the Saturday night we ate at a restaurant called The Owl - beautiful food there before heading down to Montpellier for a fabtastic night out- plenty of nice bars here (that was almost 3 years ago)! We got back to the hotel at 3:45am. The club with 5/6 floors was great (the piano bar floor being my fav with rat pack songs being played). Out the door on the Sunday morning at 10.30am for a short drive back up the M5 to the Forest of Dean and a traditional Sunday roast at a neighbouring pub before coming home.

For saying there was just me and my best mate (MOH) I had a fantastic time! T xx

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

I live about 6 miles from Cheltenham and I love it. the club that Videogal is talking about with 5/6 floors is called Subtone - it's in an old house so has loads of different rooms and the piano bar at the very top is lovely - there's a number of other clubs as well. 21 Club and Thirteen are also good. 21 Club gets packed and is quite reasonable for drinks and although it's called a club, it's more like a bar with a late license.

Bar wise there are places like Vodka Revolution which stays open late and is set in an old church, usual places like Yate's, O'Neills etc.

There are loads of restaurants - pretty much anything you want really, Bella pasta, Cafe Rouge, ASK, Prezzo and then some really nice independant places as well.

Montpellier is nice for wine bars and more sophisticated places (lower music and not as cramped) but personally I prefer the main part of town, it's busy with a lively atmosphere.

Loads to do during the day - shops are great, good places to have lunch, there are some good day spas (Chapel Spa is very good in particular), Racecourse is good for a day out.

Good God, I sound like a tour guide! Hope that's helped anyway!

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    SouthB2B ·
    • Hide content

Thank you ladies, that's all really helpful and sounds like what I'm looking for from a hen weekend! Somewhere nice to eat and a cool bar or two with a late license. Will make notes of where you've suggested and send to my bridesmaids! Thanks again x

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

I lived in Cheltenham for 31 years so know it rather well! The clubs aren't as good as they were 10 years ago (but that's because I was seriously into my house music & the house scene in Cheltenham has died off a lot over recent years). Subtone is usually quite a nice club & Club Thirteen is where Princes William & Harry go to if they are around Cheltenham so probably a good bet for your hen night. I would suggest if you do choose Cheltenham to start at the Montpelier Wine Bar & work your way down Montpelier past Subtone to Thirteen as that is where you will find classier bars & a few that are quite famous from Cheltenham raceweek such as O'Neils. Circus always has a nice atmosphere. The Daffodil is a high class restaurant which is owned by someone who married to a Rolling Stone (whichever one it was that died young - Brian Jackson?). There are also lots of little restaurants tucked down side streets, especially in Montpelier. For a hen weekend I would really suggest you combine it with a trip to a race meeting as the races are always fun & the atmopshere in town after a race meeting is always good! Le Spa up at Cirencester might be a good place for a pamper session on the Sunday, otherwise there are loads of spa places around Cheltenham. If you want full on wild partying & drinking you might find Cheltenham a little bit quite now but if you want a fun day followed by an evening of a nice meal, classy bars & a decent club in a nice area then you can't go wrong. HTH!

• B
    Beginner April 2011
    bhekib1983 ·
    • Hide content

I Live in Cheltenham and will be having my hen do in april! We are looking at going to somewhere like TGI fridays and then going into town. Some of the clubs that are popular are 13 and subtone and fever. Montpellier is good for nice bars. I can also highly recommend cocoa bistrot - a lovely french bistro and montys brasserie is nice for food and cocktails. Hope this helps and if i can be any more help let me know xx

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Sorry can't help with Cheltenham as never been there but I am hoping to go to Bath so any recommendations for there would be fabulous!!!

• rachieb13782
    Beginner August 2011
    rachieb13782 ·
    • Hide content

Hi i am also from cheltenham, there are a few places to go, like revolution , yates's, and copa for bars. A must is j's vodka bar for the best shots! Then if you fancy going onto clubs i would send you to thirteen or moo moo's be warned it can be dead on a friday night some times.

For food i would head to the brewery , they have a few resturants there!

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    SouthB2B ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all, this is brilliant and so helpful!

MrsC, Bath is fab you will have a lovely hen night there. We didn't find it that busy but a lovely city. We didn't do the spa but it sounds amazing so definitely check it out... We went to Opa for food and then it becomes a bar / mini club so just stayed there. It got REALLY packed though by the end of the evening as the dance floor is tiny so one to bear in mind. Also I think there mustn't be too many other late night bars in Bath as the queue to get in was massive (so worth eating there or getting in early if you want to go there). Have a brilliant time x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks - will defo look at that... cheers! x

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

OH used to live in Bath so I know a fair bit about it too! Opa is lovely for food & has a nice party atmosphere as you get later into the night. There are lots of small wine bars that are quite plush that you can sit around & chat in untilt he early hours. There are also quite a few clubs, most of which have a good reputation. Be bracve & go into the little side streets in the town centre - lots of little gems to be found!

• bluebutterfly
    Beginner April 2011
    bluebutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Loving the topic, cause I'll be having my henday in Cheltenham in Feb!!

Am not into clubs at all ( am 41) but we're going to the mentioned Chapel Spa for the day, and then out for a meal, restaurant which I'm going to choose this Thursday with my mate.

So thank you all for the suggestions, any idea which restaurant is nice and close to the Chapel Spa though?

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The Storyteller almost backs onto Chapel Spa & is a classy bistro type. The Mayflower is about 10 minutes walk away but does the most amazing Chinese food. There is also an Indian close to the Chapel Spa, next to the back entrance to Boots.

• bluebutterfly
    Beginner April 2011
    bluebutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Thank you, Panda and Claire, much appreciated xx

• bluebutterfly
    Beginner April 2011
    bluebutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies,

Just thought I'd let you know I went to Cheltenham today, to finalise the Chapel Spa, and sort out a place to eat afterwards.

By chance my friend and I had lunch at a coffee lounge/bistro place called Red Pepper ( 13 regent street), and it was just fab!

Really friendly, food was good value.

We mentioned the hen thing to them, and we can have a room to ourselves, set menu, or whatever we fancy. Which is good cause it will be Valentines weekend.

The chef/owner is going to ring me to discuss it.

Its a long time since I've come across anything that friendly.

So I thought I'd let you all know.

x

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Aw, thanks for letting us know ? I'm glad you've found somewhere for your hen meal - sounds perfect! Hope you have a fantastic hen party in my home town ?

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    SouthB2B ·
    • Hide content

Ooh sounds great, I'll check it out - thanks bluebutterfly x

• L
    Beginner
    Lauren55 ·
    • Hide content

How can anyone be thinking about a party at a time like this? Students are now going to have to pay 1000s of pounds more on tuition fees and you're all talking about parties in Cheltenham

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Are you being serious? My whole wedding is a party are you suggesting that I dont have that as well?

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Don't worry Tinks, it's just another Troll. Sigh.

• bluebutterfly
    Beginner April 2011
    bluebutterfly ·
    • Hide content

''How can anyone be thinking about a party at a time like this? Students are now going to have to pay 1000s of pounds more on tuition fees and you're all talking about parties in Cheltenham''

Lauren, this is a wedding planning site, which includes hendo's, which funnily enough are parties!!

We all feel sorry for the students, I have 2 teenagers myself who will be in the same position soon, but thats not what this is about!!!

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content

Had guessed as much as there is no reasons apart from bleeting on behalf of students. But really suggesting that no one has a party till students dont have to pay tuition fees - never going to be a winning argument is it?

• bluebutterfly
    Beginner April 2011
    bluebutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Being a bit dumb here, whats a troll?x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

"In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion"

Naturally, this is different from simply posting an unpopular opinion or disagreeing with someone.

Here is a nice example of how to troll anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-ASbyfaSR0&feature=related

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Just someone who joins a forum with the sole intention of causing trouble/stirring. Not really worth any of our time but felt I had to warn the other Hitched peps.

• bluebutterfly
    Beginner April 2011
    bluebutterfly ·
    • Hide content

Thank you aj.

How sad, don't people have anything better to do with their lives?

( like organize a wedding and/or hen party, lol!)

• tinks269
    Beginner February 2011
    tinks269 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

LOl indeed

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Of course not, they're students *ducks*