Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C

Hen weekend nightmare!

CrackedEgg88, 13 of January of 2015 at 21:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

Long story short - the bride wants a hen do (5 days) abroad with close friends but is also having a hen night with all other friends in Manchester....we have been asked by the chief bridesmaid (who was asked by the bride) to pay for the brides flight and accommodation between 4 of us....I find this unfair and don't see why I should pay for the bride to go on a holiday that she wants (we are also paying a small fortune towards the honeymoon for the couple) am I being unfair and selfish? I don't mind chipping in for a night out/spa day/activity/ but a whole holiday?

21 replies

Latest activity by Soybean, 15 of January of 2015 at 13:42
  • pink & glitz
    Beginner August 2014
    pink & glitz ·
    • Hide content

Hi no you are definitely not being unfair or selfish, I think to ask people to go abroad for a hen night in the first instance can be very expensive and to me unnecessary due to the fact that a lot of people could not afford to go. It's not a given that being a bride that you get your hen night/weekend away paid for anyway so for her chief bridesmaid to ask you all is very cheeky. How are the other girls feeling about this that are going??? X

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Nope, I completely agree with you. If you'd have decided to take her away then yeah, fair enough, but at its something she's chosen to do she can pay for it herself!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

You are absolutely not being unfair. How bloody cheeky of the bride to ask everyone to pay for her! I would be livid.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Wow, no way! So cheeky! I wouldn't be paying for her either! In fact, an old friend got a right miff on with me a few years back after I said I couldn't afford to go on her hen do (3 nights away in Lanzarote somewhere)..

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

Bloody cheek, who does she think she is? and to know that has specifically asked? Why are you paying towards the honeymoon anyway? Sounds like she needs taking down a peg or two. ?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

She is being way too demanding and out of order l think. I think you are well within your rights not to. Some people are very selfish! How come you are paying for the honeymoon?

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

No chance in he'll the bride should have the hen she can afford herself. I was struggling near the wedding so refused any hen apart from a English tea with my sisters. Your totally not wrong here X

• C
    CrackedEgg88 ·
    • Hide content

They asked for some money towards their honeymoon instead of wedding gifts which I can understand but paying for her to have ANOTHER holiday?! I'm thinking skipping the wedding gift completely and pay for the hen to avoid causing an arguement but I will make that clear to her! She also says she 'can't afford it' and her H2B is getting his stag paid for which is also a holiday (paid for by his very well off friends!) which is why she is expecting us to pay. Its so frustrating because her whole life she's always wanted to get her own way we even fell out for 2 years because of this but she wont see it as being unreasonable! The whole thing is just stressing me out! ?

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

No chance! Tell her to n0b off!!

On my hen do, my friends paid for everything - it was completely unexpected and I'd budgeted for it and taken money with me but they wouldn't let me pay for myself. I'm guessing though that that probably ended up costing them all a contribution of about £20 (or less) each.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

To be fair, my husband didn't pay a penny for his stag. But that wasn't because he asked others to pay for him, it's just something they all did.

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

Ha, is this for real?! What do the other 3 girls think of this??

Bridey definitely needs taking down a peg or two. I'd be dropping out of the hen do and wrapping up a pair of beach towels as their wedding gift! Smiley winking

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is what I did for my sister. I had no idea what to get her as a wedding present and I knew they were short of cash, so I just paid for her share of the hen (myself - not split with others) and then got a little trinket for their wedding present.

• C
    Beginner January 2001
    charlinc ·
    • Hide content

I think she is being very rude asking/expecting people to do this for her.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Agree with everyone else, it's totally out of order to arrange an expensive hen do then expect them to pay for her as well!

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

Completely out of order. My husband would have gone beserk if he'd found out others on the hen do paid for me - particularly his mum & sister who came. It's sometimes done but absolutely should not be expected - particularly for a holiday abroad. In the end my sister arranged a hotel spa package for me where the bride went free but I felt so guilty I made up my share by paying for taxis and everyone's drinks.

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

She's being stupid and self obsessed.

do you even want to go on the hen? The whole thing sounds over the top.

I think the idea of paying for the hen and not giving her a present is very gracious. Might be the best way forward if you're comfortable with it.

• C
    CrackedEgg88 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies! I've said to the chief bridesmaid my budget so hopefully she (and the bride!) understands and if not I'm just going to drop out! Glad I'm not the only one who thinks these demands are unfair and quite frankly rude! Xx

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Blimey!

Glad you've explained your limit. I think it's extremely cheeky to demand people spend money on you, I'd never dream of it! Weddings are expensive for guests anyway let alone if the hen weekend runs in to hundreds of pounds.

• S
    Beginner December 2016
    sarah121 ·
    • Hide content

Wow how cheeky! Glad you told her no!

I really can't be doing with people who expect things. I'd be more likely to treat them if they weren't so rude and expectant about it. xxx

• Soybean
    Beginner March 2011
    Soybean ·
    • Hide content

She sounds like a right catch. A right little madam!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics