Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Chucklevision
Beginner July 2015

Hertfordshire brides

Chucklevision, 13 of February of 2014 at 22:19 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi all,

I'm a relative newbie to the site so apologies if this a rehash of a previous website. Me & H2B are looking to get married March 2015 and are struggling to find a venue we both like. We are both keen to keep costs low as possible & Our initial budget is £4500 for everything, we could probably add an extra £2k if we had to but would rather save this to have a decent honeymoon. We're only planning to have a small wedding 40-50 guests. A lot of venues in herts such as hanbury manor, knebworth barns etc feel a bit grand for us as we're quite a low key couple Our first choice was to get married abroad but lots our immediate family wouldn't be able to come due to cost etc.

We were considering getting married at Hertford registry office but OH didn't like it as thought room was too clinical. We have both ruled out Stevenage office because of it's location (it is actually closer to home as we're in hitchin\letchworth area) so we're now leaning towards a cermony in an approved premises. My OH is anti-religion so a church isn't an option. We also viewed the white horse hotel in hertingfordbury which I liked but OH felt was too far away for something that was just nice/ok.

I wondered if anyone had checked out Tudor oaks lodge in stotfold and what their thoughts were? We're viewing this on Saturday. Other place are viewing is fairway tavern gold club in WGC and again I wondered what people's thoughts\experiences are. I have considered Letchworth hall hotel but I'm put off by the fact they have a zero hygiene rating for their kitchens.

Writing this out has made me realise how fussy we're probaby being.

If anyone has any other suggestions for any other places I'm all ears.

Scrap my comment about Letchworth hall hotel just checked again and they've recently been reinspected & gone from 0 to 5 rating so will give them a call.

15 replies

Latest activity by Peter, 18 of February of 2014 at 12:42
  • alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Haven't been to those places, but my cousin got married at St Albans Town Hall, which was really nice. They had a party in a teepee at Sandridgebury Stables afterwards, but I think that would be too chilly in March

Rothamstead Hall was really nice, just inside Harpenden

Can't think of much else, sorry!

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at Shenley cricket club?

They had a really good deal on when I wa looking for about £5k

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Oh not heard of rhomstead hall will give this a look. Same for for shenley cricket club. Thanks for suggestions. X

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

Have you looked at Little Hallingbury Mill?

It's a beautiful little venue, fairly small but gorgeous and with lots of potential for a creative eye.

We've shot there twice before and couldn't fault it. The website does not do it justice in any shape or form!

If you'd like to see some photos of a wedding in action there, i'm happy to share just let me know.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I'll check that one out thank you. Xx

• K
    Beginner August 2015
    Kfalla ·
    • Hide content

I went to look at letchworth Hall hotel and was ready to put a deposit down!

They have a one star food rating in a recent publication in the comet newspaper. Published January 2014.

I think I'm having a venue re think Smiley sad

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I checked the other day & they were reinspected on 12th Feb & have been awarded 5 stars again. Having said that I thinkthey in the past have been awarded either 1* or 5* so their rating doesn't seem particularly stable. I can understand your hesitancy. have you asked them about it?

We saw fairway tavern in wgc yesterday which was nice plus there's a groupon package on at the moment. We also saw tewinbury farm which we both loved but is WAY out of our price range. We've decided to go abroad now because we're fed up of looking at venues that are only ok For the price your expected to pay. Xx

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

I checked the other day & they were reinspected on 12th Feb & have been awarded 5 stars again. Having said that I thinkthey in the past have been awarded either 1* or 5* so their rating doesn't seem particularly stable. I can understand your hesitancy. have you asked them about it?

We saw fairway tavern in wgc yesterday which was nice plus there's a groupon package on at the moment. We also saw tewinbury farm which we both loved but is WAY out of our price range. We've decided to go abroad now because we're fed up of looking at venues that are only ok For the price your expected to pay. Xx

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kateb2v...I am based in Hertfordshire......When you looked at Hertford registry Office, did you consider the option of Hertford Castle? Other options nearby are Three Lakes near Ware, here should fit your budget(depending on how many guests you have)

Stevenage Reg lacks options.........You mentioned the White Horse....have you looked at The Mayflower in Hertingfordbury??? This is a Masonic Hall that is let out for weddings.....very nice...

Another unusual option is The Node......

Peter

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Ah,I've had many a good night at the fairway (and still do), I can't believe they do weddings now!

I've seen a wedding set up at the fairway & it looked lovely.

I wonder how many hertfordshire brides there are? I feel a bit like we are a rare breed on here.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I used to play many a round of golf on the associated course there.....

Peter

• C
    Beginner July 2016
    chantell ·
    • Hide content

I went there today, it needs a little work still; but the entertainment and wedding coordinator reassurances me that it will be done by 2016. The prices might be going up next year Smiley sad. But the bridal suite was brilliant, more like a small flat. Defiantly looking to book! There are also having their first wedding Faye on March 16th

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Hi all,

Yeah we do seem to be a rare breed on the forums. What venue did you settle?

I've had conferences at the Fairway & been there for lunch which was why I was a bit concerned. From memory the room gets very cold but I did like the gazebo & garden.

Peter - I had heard of Mayflower Place but I Haven't been able to see any pictures on line. It sounds silly but I was also worried about having to set up and decorate the room & how I would go about this. But taking a look couldn't help. three lakes is just down the road from my folks (their in Benington) & my mum keeps suggesting it so might give it a look/see. they do a champagne afternoon tea for quite a reasonable price for weekday weddings which sounds quite charming.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

I wet with St Michael's Manor Hotel in St.Albans in the end. It is fairly pricey but I absolutely love the venue.

I'm just trying to think of other venues I've either been to as a guest or visited for a quote....

Visited Offley place. We never did receive their quote though & they didn't ever chase us to find out why we didn't respond (so it wasn't a case of an email not going through). I suspect they're a little bit snobby & assumed we couldn't afford it. It was a nice venue though with a lovely conservatory where the ceremony and meal take place.

Been a guest at Hitchin Priory. Was lovely. My friend had their marquee and it was a completely blank canvas so she could decorate it as she wanted. I think she also got a special offer package.

Been a guest as Priory Barns in Little Wymondly. Lovely venue & really good for a big wedding as it's a huge barn.

Been a guest at The Sun pub in Hitchin. My friends got an amazing deal for about £1,000. Would highly recommend looking in to a venue like this if people are on a budget.

I'm sure there are so many venues I've never heard of though so it's interesting to hear of even more places.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

St Michaels.......excellent venue......(do they still have an early finishing time limit????)

Hitchin Priory has some superb rooms inside for photography and some lovely riverside options...

The Old Priory at Little Wymondley....one of my favourite Hertfordshire venues.......

Sun Pub, Hitchin.......Surprisingly good....

Peter

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The last wedding I did there (a hitcher) had a local catering company sort all of that out. I believe that you can arrange your own caterers for this venue, which allows you to shop around for the best deals......

Three Lakes (below) has Maxine as the wedding planner and she does a fantastic job.

hth

Peter

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics