Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner August 2015

He's not perfect reading

SunnyBrownCars246, 15 of July of 2015 at 21:01 Posted on Planning 0 21

So we decided we would have a reading to try to lengthen the ceremony. We were certain that we didn't want a sloppy reading cause that's just not us !! so after a lot of searching I came across he's not perfect by Bob Marley. We really liked it but was a little concerned mainly because of the title not being very romantic.......the reading to us seemed very true to life so decided to go for it.

Fastforward to today (currently 18 days till the wedding) and the oh told me that he had a falling out with his mum on Monday about the reading - she thinks it's not right and that it's a dig from me to my oh !!! ( why would I have a dig at him on our day).

Oh's response was well it's not your wedding- we aren't even to sure if she's read it we think she's just going on the title which amittly isn't brill but it's the wording especially the last line that means something.

Is anyone using our reading?

21 replies

Latest activity by MadamRed, 19 of July of 2015 at 19:05
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I'm sorry but I don't like it either. It does seem to be aimed at the male partner in the relationship which seems a little unfair on your OH! Of course, if you're both happy with it then there shouldn't be a problem and you should go ahead with it. But is it really worth falling out with your future MIL?

• B
    Beginner August 2015
    Bets2015 ·
    • Hide content

We're having it at our wedding! We HATED all the gushy stuff in the booklets from the registrar (it's just not us at all). We don't see it as a dig at all. We love the sentiment of it. It's just saying that no one is perfect (very true). It's so much more real than all the other readings you hear. Go for it! If you want it, have it. It's your wedding. I would much rather hear that than something overly soppy that doesn't really mean anything to us (also my brother is doing the reading so wanted nothing too over the top lovey dovey, haha).

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

Yep we're having it. I really like it. I HATE gushy lovey dovey stuff and this just seems so much more real. Life is not all sunshine and rainbows and like how the reading reflects that.

No one is perfect, it's about finding love and happiness despite the flaws. At least that's what I got from it. As with all wedding advice, if you like it you have it!

• Kittylove
    Beginner August 2015
    Kittylove ·
    • Hide content

We are having it. I don't think it's a dig at either party. He's not perfect, neither are you. But you're perfect for each other.

we are also having a reading once in a lifetime.

• S
    Beginner August 2015
    SunnyBrownCars246 ·
    • Hide content

So it turns out that she had only heard the title she hasn't actually read the reading !!!

• lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

So does she approve now she knows what it says?

I think it is a great reading, but if people are going to be put off by the title could you not just put "an extract from Bob Marley" so people don't get the wrong impression?

I think it's great!

• E
    Beginner October 2015
    elvira-darkside ·
    • Hide content

I love it!

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

We are having this reading. The title is not great I have to admit and could be seen as being a dig so Lilbeth's suggestion is a fab one. I think listeners have to take the first 2 lines into consideration to get the full picture:

He’s not perfect. You aren’t either, and the two of you will never be perfect.

• Kellym81
    Beginner October 2016
    Kellym81 ·
    • Hide content

I like it! I think it probably sums up a lot of relationships! NO ONE is perfect…and I have to concede I'm one of those people as well. ?

i don't know what to suggest about the title…I think it seems very tongue in cheek...?

• V
    Beginner September 2015
    vwills ·
    • Hide content

We're having it - our mutual close friend is reading it, and she chose it (we love it though - totally appropriate!) Smiley smile

• F
    Beginner August 2016
    FutureMrsMarshall ·
    • Hide content

I actually like the title, to me it implies that you know each other with all your flaws, and accept them because you love each other. That is far more romantic to me than living in some delusion that he is perfect - surely that is great for those first few excited weeks of dating, but not when you're getting married!

I just don't like the line 'Dont analyze'. Why not? I love analyzing! ?

• H
    Beginner May 2015
    Heathy2b ·
    • Hide content

We had this at our wedding in May, we wanted something lighthearted that would make the guests laugh. It certainly did that, especially when my best friend reading it changed some of the words to make it more personal lol! We had 3 readings and this is the one everyone remembers for all the right reasons :-)

• N
    Beginner January 2016
    NoMoore ·
    • Hide content

Ooh I'm going to show this to H2B!! I like it... I say go for it if you both it x

• Calella
    Beginner August 2016
    Calella ·
    • Hide content

I really like this reading. Could you not paraphrase a bit to make it "we're not perfect"?

• S
    Beginner August 2016
    Sondy ·
    • Hide content

I adore this reading - I think it's beautiful and sincere. Most of the wedding readings I've found online are really not us - this one is just perfect.

Perhaps you could call it something else on your order of service if your MIL is going to kick up a big fuss (I actually like the title though...). Remember it is your day.

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

Not heard of this reading before but really love it! We aren't into gushing loving things, so are looking for something similar Smiley smile

• J
    Beginner June 2016
    Jade8 ·
    • Hide content

Not heard of this reading before but really love it! We aren't into gushing loving things, so are looking for something similar Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner March 2016
    MrsLloyd2b ·
    • Hide content

My friend had this at her wedding, read out by her 12 year old daughter. It was great, light hearted and got a few laughs from he crowd. I don't think it's a dig at the groom at all. Stick with it! xx

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I hadn't heard of this reading before, so OH and I googled it, and we are seriously considering having it for our wedding now. It feels really honest.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics