Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner June 2015

Hessian???

Scottish_Sarah, 22 of February of 2015 at 11:45 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if any of you could help me - I am making hessian table runners as we have long 12 ft tables but I am so confused with what type of hessian to buy - I don't even know if there is any difference between gardeners hessian, burlap or jute?????? What's the difference? Other then if it has anything wedding near the word it doubles in price!

Ideally I need a wide roll of 1 m by about 30 m as each section would do two tables rather then having to buy 60 metres in length. Any tips from ladies who have made their own would be fab! I'm not having lace or anything down the sides as my BM and myself are splitting the cost - she will be cutting them in half for her 6 ft tables and hemming them for her wedding reception - re-use and all that!

5 replies

Latest activity by Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon, 23 of February of 2015 at 11:05
  • lilbeth
    Beginner July 2015
    lilbeth ·
    • Hide content

I was very confused too. Burlap is American for hessian so think they are pretty much the same. I went on eBay and looked at pictures until I found something I liked the look of, and I'm happy with what arrived.

Good luck to you, sorry I can't be more help.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content

I've had a look on ebay but what I can't work out is how tight the "knit" is if that makes sense?!

I don't know if all hessian is the same in terms of it or not?! I'm assuming not but it's very difficult to tell!

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Try googling for hessian brick protection. This is used to protect new wet brickwork from rain and frost and you can buy it in big rolls.

Jute is very tight knit and strong, good for making bags. I was given one as a sample bag for transporting your album in.

• S
    Beginner June 2015
    Scottish_Sarah ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the help with the differences! Will have a look - also need to check what style knit my BM is wanting too.

I'm not very good at crafty stuff but at £15 for 1 table runner from Ebay I need to get nifty with a sewing machine! lol

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

I should also add -- big rolls and low cost, for smaller amounts you can buy hessian sand bags (without the sand)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics