Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Daisy Bell
Beginner August 2015

High street wedding dresses

Daisy Bell, 30 of September of 2014 at 13:43 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi ladies,

My boyfriend and I want to do a planned elopement next summer and I am just beginning planning and researching venues, etc.

Since we have a limited budget, I don't want to spend too much on my wedding dress. I do want it to be beautiful of course, but I don't think it needs to be a super traditional dress as I think we may have the ceremony outside (maybe the beach?). So one of those big dresses might look out of place.

I saw that BHS do inexpensive wedding dresses and I really like the look of this one, just to give you an example:

http://www.bhs.co.uk/en/bhuk/product/wedding-1020484/the-bride-1020511/wedding-dresses-1020869/sofia-long-bridal-dress-2534774?bi=1&ps=20

Does anyone have any other recommendations for where I could find a wedding dress that is around £200-300?

I don't want to buy a dress just yet as I am doing WW at the moment and want to lose a good chunk of weight before we get married (already lost 22 pounds but I have about 70 to go!) and I'd rather not have to get extensive alterations, but I would be really grateful for suggestions as to which shops do wedding dresses I could afford on my budget.

Thanks all!

12 replies

Latest activity by pinkypoo85, 6 of October of 2014 at 14:18
  • R
    Beginner December 2014
    rambosmum ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of a romantic elopement, unfortunately H2B had other ideas!

I got my dress from a wedding shop but it was a sample sale so I got it for £500- there were dresses which were much cheaper than that, including one which I nearly got for £150. So you could try that route?

Also phase 8 (though John Lewis) and monsoon have some nice ones. Or try stillwhite.com if you don't mind pre-loved?

• T
    Beginner October 2014
    Trueowl ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from Coast at Debenhams & I love it! x

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £75 in the Monsoon sale and I had alterations from a local seamstress costing £100 - I was v pleased with it:

• T
    Beginner January 2015
    tonievans ·
    • Hide content

I got mine offline (risky I know but my mam had previously ordered from there and everything was great!) and it was about £100

dylanqueen.com

• Charliebob
    Beginner May 2016
    Charliebob ·
    • Hide content

Go on http://www.bride2bride.co.uk/

they do lots and lots of dresses and accesorisies

I got a beautiful brand new maggie sottero gown from a shop on there which was in the sale for only £199 (originally £1200)

Good Luck!

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Some really helpful tips here. Smiley smile

I will probably not buy my dress for another 4-5 months so I am just collecting ideas for now, but you're really helping me with where to look. Wedding dresses can be so ridiculously expensive.

How does David's Bridal in London compare? Would that be an option at my budget or do they only have more expensive dresses? Their UK site doesn't have any prices it seems but as I live in Edinburgh I'd want to make sure it would be worth it before going there. (My other half said he'd be open to going there and just spending the weekend in London.)

• Pipsybus
    Beginner June 2015
    Pipsybus ·
    • Hide content

I got mine from Davids Bridal, it was £375. That's without any alterations so the final cost will be a bit more but I haven't decided whether to use their alterations lady or find someone to do it for me.

There is a whole thread on here about Davids Bridal and a few people have had a bad experience with them. I couldn't fault them though and would recommend a visit if you're in town. It doesn't hurt to take a look!

ETA: I think their dresses start at around £200

• Daisy Bell
    Beginner August 2015
    Daisy Bell ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you! We will definitely keep it in mind as an option, although just a weekend in London would probably cost a bit so it really depends on how things go financially whether we can afford that (we are planning to buy a house next year as well as get married).

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

I see a lot of phase eight wedding dresses which I believe are around £100 and frankly look fantastic. Monsoon, H&M and topshop and ASOS all do wedding dresses. If you want something more classic TKMaxx have a bridal season where they have tons of dresses and shoes on the cheap!

• MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The current Phase Eight wedding collection starts at £250 and goes up to £750.

• H
    Beginner May 2015
    Heathy2b ·
    • Hide content

I bought my dress from Davids too, one I tried on was beautiful and cost £275. You can buy off the peg and take it home with you if you were visiting for the weekend. Just remember to book an appointment.

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

My BM dresses are from the Coast bridal range are are actually wedding dresses. Worth having a look on there, I know he bigger stores stock the range so worth calling local stores before you go Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics