Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

J
Beginner November 2015

Highchairs and age

jesikab4u, 4 of June of 2015 at 15:56 Posted on Planning 0 8

Just came to me that we will need to supply high chairs for the little ones. My mum said they would probably bring their own but we are providing transport which won't have the room and I think it will be better to have them there for the children and parents.

any way my question is (I don't have children so no idea) at what ages do they usually need high chairs for? My bms who have children are now 3 and 3.5 and both have not used one for a long time and they sit very well at a table but other than that I know nothing :-/ is it down to the individual child? I guess I need to find out all their ages too! Shall I just hire a handful and put them somewhere so they can be used if needed? I really have no clue what to do lol

thanks IA.

8 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBlueConfetti91990, 22 of January of 2019 at 10:17
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

None of my children needed a high chair past the age of 18 months but I'd provide them for up to 2 years just to be on the safe side.

• C
    Beginner September 2015
    Chocolatelulu25 ·
    • Hide content

^^^WSS but I'd also consider needing booster seats for the children over 2 just in case they are a little low at the table! Probably best to ask the parents about that one.

• CBeckford
    Rockstar July 2015
    CBeckford ·
    • Hide content

I only have one child coming to our wedding who will need a high chair and out venue will provide this for us. He's about 18 months old, I think they're ok until about 2 1/2 after that they tend to use boosters. We'll also have a 4 year old, and two 7 year olds but we're not going to provide anything for them.

I would ask your venue if they have any available before making any more arrangements.

• snow bride
    Beginner June 2016
    snow bride ·
    • Hide content

Def ask the parents and the venue what they have :-)

Although my 2 1/2 year old can sit in a normal chair of needed I'll take one of those wooden highchairs if on offer because of height! (At home he has a booster cushion) :-)

• S
    Beginner September 2017
    Sorbet ·
    • Hide content

Depends on the child as bigger children will grow out faster... resteraunts around here use to offer free meals to children in high chairs and we could get our kids into them up until about 2 (they are tall but skinny) in the house we never really used one, just a little chair and table thing

• AnnaMolly
    Beginner October 2015
    AnnaMolly ·
    • Hide content

My not quite 2 year old has been out of a high chair for a while but he still uses a booster seat as he's too little to sit on a normal chair comfortably.

I would say provide a high chair up to age 2. It's what we'll be doing.

• J
    Beginner November 2015
    jesikab4u ·
    • Hide content

Thanks guys. Think I will get h2b how old they are on his side. But think it will be for those 2 years and under we will most likely get high chairs for unless parents want one. Great help thanks :-)

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

Dont forget that new borns wont need a high chair either, because they will be bottle or breast fed & and physically cant sit up themselves for several months.

If your venue don't supply high chairs, I'd only get a minimal amount. If the adults aren't eating till late, majority of toddles will have already eaten and hopefullu be asleep!

• S
    SunnyBlueConfetti91990 ·
    • Hide content

For high chairs, there's a brand that's very common in europe at least, I don't know about the rest of the world...it's called STOKKE and their high-chairs are called Tripp Trapp. They are meant to "grow" with the child, so you can easily modify the height of both the seat and the footrest, and they are meant to also support adults (they claim it easily supports up to 85kg/187 pounds). We still have one from when I was a baby and it is quite comfy. Only thing is, they don't have a table attached, since they're meant for children who want to sit at the table with their parents.

This specific one is kind of expensive, but there are lots of similar ones that are cheaper. Go for one made of wood rather than plastic, that's much less likely to collapse on you. I'll include a link to the official website of the chair I have, but that's just to illustrate what I mean Smiley smile Also, if you dig a little, you could surely find a second-hand-one.

I'm heavier than you, but I'm about the same height, so if I fit into that chair, you should definitely fit as well. And like I said, they're meant to easily hold an adult, so the center of gravity is also not a problem.

I also have the Svan of Sweden https://www.evababygear.com/best-high-chairs/ and am very happy with it. My son who is now 2.5 years old still loves it. It comes with a tray (you can buy a plastic cover for the tray as an extra). The chair can be modified so that it can be used as a normal chair as well when your bub is big enough. I would recommend it - although I agree that IKEA's cheap and cheerful ones are very good too! It depends if you are bothered about the look of the chair or not really.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics