Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Hoddy
Beginner July 2014

Hire a sweet buffet or DIY?

Hoddy, 5 April, 2013 at 09:57 Posted on Planning 0 20

We had a cake maker lined up who also did sweet buffets and was going to do it half price because she was doing our cake too. However, due to personal reasons she has had to unfortunately close her business. Smiley sad

So we are back to square one with our cake and our sweet buffet.

Originally we were going to buy the sweets in bulk ourselves, and the jars and all the decor etc and put it together the day before the wedding. This was going to cost us around £150.Would mean we could keep the jars or sell them on after, and we get to choose exactly how much of everything we want and what sweets etc.

OR

Should we hire someone to do it all for us (it costs a similar price) but this means we get limited choice in sweets. However it makes it easier as they clean it all up for you afterwards too!! Most offer a cart thing but I know I don't want that.

Sorry if I seem fussy, just wondering WWYD?

20 replies

Latest activity by Hoddy, 5 April, 2013 at 15:51
  • havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

Personally, if the cost was the same, Id outsource it to a supplier! I made the mistake of convincing myself I could design my own stationery - my job is just too manic and Im too useless, so after several wasted weekends, I ended up getting the professionals in!

I am sure if you had a sweet that you absolutely had to have, that the supplier would put it on for you. Surely they have to go any buy them anyway?

xxxx

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I think it's just nice to be able to say 'we did that ourselves' hmmmm

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

I've organised a sweetie bar for my Mums wedding. I got bowls and Jars from charity shops, and sweets from a wholesale place. For 130 people, it has cost under £50.

• J
    Beginner May 2014
    Jes22 ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing it myself, jars and sweet bags are cheap off eBay and I'm making it even more difficult because I'm only having blue sweets ? I was thinking of putting jars of sweets on the tables rather than having a sweet bar, as everything else is ivory it will add colour to my tables and tie in with my bm dresses and bouquet. I've only done rough coatings but its only going to work out about £70 for 100 people xx

• B
    Beginner June 2014
    Babbo ·
    • Hide content

Doing yourself is much cheaper, and if you do not mind the added task then go for it ;-)

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    morristobe ·
    • Hide content

Where abouts are you getting married? I got a really good offer through 'A Little Bit of Bling' who are doing the cart, 8 types of sweets, decoration, bags and tongs, inc free delivery and set up if within 25 miles from Dudley to feed 100 guests for £89!! It was a flash offer where you had to book and buy then but they have different offers on each day so its worth shopping around

• slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

We are doing our own ... bought big glass jars and going to use a family friends cash and carry card! lol Smiley smile xx

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

For me it would depend. I didn't want any of y guests doing jobs as I wanted them to enjoy themselves and relax and I hired an on the day organiser (booked a venue without one). I would have done it myself as she could have set it up. If I hadn't of booked her then I would have hired someone to do it because there wouldn't have been anyone to set it up.

• C
    Beginner November 2013
    cath4512 ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing a DIY sweet buffet. I have a card so I can get the sweets at wholesale price. For my jars/ glass bowls, I am buying a few & am using a few from family. I think its nice to have a mix of jars, bowl etc. Most people have at least one lovely glass dish, so ask around & see who has what & borrow some. See if anyone you know has a card for a wholesalers as well. Smiley smile

• M
    Beginner March 2015
    MrsF2Bee ·
    • Hide content

I'm DIY'ing but not sure who to set it up yet. Personally because I want to pick the sweeties and decided I could sell the jars on after so making it a bit cheaper? x

• sal.san
    Beginner December 2011
    sal.san ·
    • Hide content

We did ours ourselves and got the jars etc from Asda. We got the sweets etc from supermarkets when they were on offer.

Be wary if you go to cash and carry places as they DO NOT include VAT! Sometimes you think it is cheap but dont forget to add the VAT. Sometimes not that cheap in the end!

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

Oh no i was all set on paying someone to do it, i have been quited £150 for 100 people but now i hear that others have done it for £70 or less?

What to do, what to do???!?

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

If it's the same cost, get someone in!

I'm usually all for DIY, but only if it's so reduced in cost it's worth the effort.

• Feb2014Bride
    Beginner February 2014
    Feb2014Bride ·
    • Hide content

I am just worried that i will do DIY and ... 1. spend more 2. it will be added stress ie. getting it all ready, setting it up in the morning.

But saving £80 is very appealing

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you are thinking ebay then unless it is buyer collects the cost of the post will destory any sale. Have a look on ebay and see if any others have done it to see if that would work.

• MrsSkinner2be
    Beginner May 2014
    MrsSkinner2be ·
    • Hide content

I am thinking of doing my own sweetie buffet as I am a costco member. Would it be really crap if I just left the sweets in the boxes they came in to be served from? I'd buy bags and tongs but just not sure if the expense of jars that I'm not gonna use again is worth it.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Perfect - job done, ribbon if you thing it needs it. But once it is all put together with bags and extra elements from your colour scheme

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

If it costs the same then I'd probably use the supplier as it's one less thing for you to have to do! BUT, I really think you could do it yourself for a lot cheaper than £150. I did ours for 130 people.

Stripped paper bags from Amazon

Tongs from Amazon

Jars from charity shops and tesco

Sweets from Amazon and Tesco

I don't know the exact cost as things were all purchased at separate times but I'd estimate no more than £80.

• LotBot
    Beginner March 2015
    LotBot ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to DIY it Smiley smile My dad is quite good at wood work so said he would actually build me the cart too! (My mum owns a business where she could use the cart afterwards so it won't go to waste!) Also means we have the card for a whole sale place for cheaper and a larger selection of sweeties!! If we don't use them, we can sell them (probably will give them away!) in our coffee shop afterwards.

We love sweeties and so do many of my guests so it's ideal for us! Will also double up as a favor for the evening guests.

I have never really thought of going to a supplier for it - it's something I've wanted to do myself from day one really.

I have gone to carboot sales and found really cheap jars there! I don't want any plastic ones so have avoided buying glass online as the postage is quite expensive.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, been very helpful advice.

I think after seeing all the comments it has actually made me want to do it myself more! I just think it is more flexible, I can have exactly what I want and if it doesn't go right I only have myself to blame Smiley tongue

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics