Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Hire or buy vintage crockery? And any recommendations for hire companies?

16 March, 2011 at 12:47 Posted on Planning 0 9

I had been umming over how I wanted my tables for ages and then I saw this picture in Brides and went "that's it!"

Sorry for the poor quality photo, it's a camera-phone picture of a magazine page...

This kind of thing would be perfect, what I'm wondering is if it's better to hire teapots and teacups, or buy them from markets/charity shops/etc. I figure hiring means someone could set it all up for me and take it away after so I don't have to store it all; but I'd be worried about breakages and it would mean arranging delivery/collection/etc which might be a lot less hassle if I just got my own stuff and got a friend to set it up or something. I don't know if either hiring or buying is significantly cheaper?

In case I do hire any suggestions of vintage hire companies in the Bath/Bristol area? Have found http://www.bristolvintage.co.uk/ and http://www.vintageteasets.co.uk/ which seem like a good start. And if I buy is it better to go to places like the Affordable Vintage Fair or avoid any kind of hyped event and just look in charity shops?

9 replies

Latest activity by Hannahemurphy, 3 October, 2012 at 15:22
  • Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

I guess it depends how many you want, Im only having a small wedding so bought mine got a couple of tea pots and a dozen or so cups and then some cake stands and perfume bottles, all bought from charity or vintage shops for next to nowt and from raiding houses of family members, you can pick up tea cups and saucers for £1-2 but at big events I do tend to notice they bump up the prices.

Not sure about hire as I didnt even look into it, sorry

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I've bought all of mine. I have quite alot so far - 87 tea cups and saucers plus about 75 side plates, bowls, jugs etc.

I think buying is better personally, you don't have to worry about breakages and having to pay for them on top of hiring charges and you can make all of your money back (Plus some!) by selling afterwards. I've been quite lucky to pick up alot of items close by, very cheaply.

I was watching a set of about 100 tea cups, saucers and side plates and it sold for over £400! Couldn't believe it. I'm spending no more than 75p-£1.50 for each trio so will whack it all on ebay when I've finished with it all and hope for the best.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

Looking at yours and bride brats tickers might be worth trying to get a heads up from her when she has finished with hers and is looking to ebay them (would offer mine but donating to my sisters wedding later in the year)

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

Http://www.vintageteasets.co.uk/index.htm

Vicky is lovely and has been in the press & media a lot for her service.

• M
    Beginner September 2011
    monkey_nut ·
    • Hide content

This is the exact picture I'm basing my centrepieces on. So far I've been collecting old books, about to hit the charity shops this Saturday for crockery. Smiley smile

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

It really depends on how 'pretty' they are. You can pick up crockery cheaply, but you will pay alot more (£6-£20) if the item is really decorative.

• H
    Beginner August 2012
    Hannahemurphy ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I don't know if you are still looking, but I got married in August this year and we had lots of lovely vintage teacups, milk jugs sugar bowls plates, bon bon dishes etc.

I am now selling them on ebay, as I don't have space for it all in our flat!

Here are two of the listings, but there are over 15, just go to 'see other items'

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261107057143?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261107053596?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Hope you find what you are looking for! xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics