Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

summer_bee
Beginner July 2011

Hiring Dance Floor???

summer_bee, 1 May, 2011 at 22:40 Posted on Planning 0 15

Hi, our venue coordinator was asking if we want to have the disco in the orangery or the main hall. We told her that we wanted the main hall as it has curtain, hence darker and more appropriate for disco in the summer (instead dancing when it's still bright during the summer). The coordinator then told us some brides went for the orangery because they didn't want to HIRE THE DANCE FLOOR! I pause for a bit and ask her to give some contact for the floor hiring. Was just checking on the internet, the smallest 12 x 12 ft (for 30 ppl) cost £225+VAT. Does any of you have such experience?

15 replies

Latest activity by summer_bee, 3 May, 2011 at 20:07
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Why do you need to hire a dance floor? Surely if there is a space in the front of the DJ that would be considered to be the 'dance floor area'?

• MrsG2B28.7.12
    Beginner July 2012
    MrsG2B28.7.12 ·
    • Hide content

We had to hire a dance floor it was included in the initial invoice for our venue though. Ours is because it is an old building with slightly wonky wooden floors so for safety really (and to protect their floor).

• LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

We are thinking of hiring a dance floor, but it's only for effect. Our venue already has a dance floor.

I thinks it's a bit cheeky to ask you to pay if it wasn't mentioned when you initially booked the venue, ,

xx

• summer_bee
    Beginner July 2011
    summer_bee ·
    • Hide content

We went to see the venue during their wedding open day. The hall + orangery was all setup for us to have a feel of how the place would look like - and the black and white dance floor was there, tables with chair covers, etc. They did mention that chair covers were not included but did not mention about the dance floor, so we thought it was part of it. Sigh...

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I would go back to them & say that they didn't state that you had to pay extra for the dancefloor. I haven't heard of having to pay any extra before.

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

I have heard of this - but have not personally played a Wedding when the venue charged for the DanceFloor.

There are many different types of dancefloor - you've got the typically woodern Parquet floor which most venues will lay.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&nord=1&biw=1366&bih=682&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=parquet+dance+floor&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

These are fine, and are good solid dancefloors, perfectly suitable.

Some companies can also provide a modern led dancefloor, these come in many styles - from the "saturday night fever" look of solid colours, and also black tiles with white "star" leds.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&nord=1&biw=1366&bih=682&site=webhp&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=led+dance+floor&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

So, the venue dancefloor is normally "free" (part of the package), but you are normally free to source your own (at your cost).

Re-check the terms & conditions. If there is no mention of a chargable dancefloor, then I suggest they are being a bit underhand. They would have been aware that you're hiring entertainment, and so this should have been mentioned.

They may be providing a nice modern LED dancefloor, and if so, this is good value - but still not very nice to have an unexpected cost!

• summer_bee
    Beginner July 2011
    summer_bee ·
    • Hide content

Frankly, I really don't know if I have a case or not.

We did ask about the Chair covers and they did told us it's not included. We read the agreement too on what is included - place card, menu card

But we're not aware of the Floor!!!

• Jason Clark DJ
    Jason Clark DJ ·
    • Hide content

I'd suggest before things get too heated, you call (or ideally meet) your wedding co-ordinator at the venue and explain your frustration at this hidden cost. Get them to explain why it was not mentioned, and find other similar priced venues (that you may have looked at) and provide a comparison.

Explain its put a dampener on the booking, and you're thinking about taking advice.

They should have clearly explained this at the time of booking. I doubt they have many bookings where a dancefloor is NOT required and so they should cater for the norm, not the exeption.

If this is something they own, then the actual cost of supply is negligible. As a DJ, I often set-up during room turn-around (when tables are moved and the dance-floor is set-up).

This takes them about 20-30mins for about 2 people. These floor clip together, and take-down is equally as quick. There are staff costs, but not £225!

If they are hiring it in (which I doubt for that price), then its a bit more difficult to get them to waive this charge.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

Is there an option to go without the black and white dance floor and just use the original flooring as a dance area? I wondered if it is optional hence her mentioning the hire cost isn't included.

• summer_bee
    Beginner July 2011
    summer_bee ·
    • Hide content

The original flooring are carpeted so it's not suitable for dancing. However, the hall & the orangery are actually attached.

I'll leave it to my future FIL to discuss with the wedding coordinator as they are going over to meet up with her.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Why not? We were planning on just using the carpet and haven't been advised otherwise by our venue.

• summer_bee
    Beginner July 2011
    summer_bee ·
    • Hide content

I don't think so. The venue coordinator mention either to hire a dance floor or have it in the orangery!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics