Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

wodger_woo
Beginner March 2007

Hitched nostalgia - egg in a cup

wodger_woo, 24 July, 2009 at 12:31 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 16

Remember when the egg in a cup threads were as common as the swine flu?

I have never had egg in a cup but in the interests of hitched nostalgia I'm going to now

but how do I make it? ?

16 replies

Latest activity by AliLindsey, 24 July, 2009 at 18:30
  • SK Returns
    SK Returns ·
    • Hide content

Ahhhhh, egg in a cup threads. Where is LouM when you need her. Good old Scottish delicacy. Take one hard boiled egg, place it in a favourite mug, add a generous (read, humuckle) lump of butter, season well with salt and pepper, mash it all up and scoff with hot buttered toast. Fabulous hangover cure.

• wodger_woo
    Beginner March 2007
    wodger_woo ·
    • Hide content

Thank you! As suspected not rocket science jsut me being thick ?

• pinkjay
    Beginner October 2007
    pinkjay ·
    • Hide content

Mmm now I want egg in a cup lol. I used to have it with dippy soldiers when I was younger. yum

• S
    Beginner November 2005
    Skittalie ·
    • Hide content

I love egg in a cup, I thought I was the only one who had it!

• Hoobygroovy
    Hoobygroovy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hard-boiled?? Nooo, it has to be soft-boiled so the yolk is still runny when you mush it up. The Hooby method is to butter a slice of bread, tear that up into little bits and mash it up with the egg.

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ditto...."Egg in a cup" was basically my childhood!

Hooby is right though - gots to be soft boiled.

x

• SK Returns
    SK Returns ·
    • Hide content

I agree with the yolk still has to be a bit runny, but mixing bread into it is wronger than a wrong thing on a wrong day in Wrongsville. Toast all the way.

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

I had it for breakfast last weekend - two (hard boiled) eggs, butter and S&P. No toast as we were out of bread.

Soft boiled yolk ?

• Zooropa
    Super October 2007
    Zooropa ·
    • Hide content

Well thats my breakfast tomorrow sorted - I love eggs but have never thought to mash them with butter.

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Incidentally, I'd never heard of egg in a cup til I started hitching and now it's one of my most favourite things. The OH was all bewildered by it again at the weekend and said "but WHY do you have it in a cup?" - you just do ?

• spacecadet_99
    Beginner
    spacecadet_99 ·
    • Hide content

Oooooh I haven't had egg in a cup in yonks. I made it when it was doing the rounds of hitched and it was lovely - mmmm mmmm mmmm - soft boiled with toast torn up and mushed in. Good job we have big mugs. I might get some eggs on the way home...

• ashke_again
    Beginner
    ashke_again ·
    • Hide content

I've always called it Egg in a cup and introduced my H to it when the whole debate on how to make it was raging on and he loves it.

Yolks have to be on the turn for the best egg in a cup so most mix with the butter and is gooey. Has to be 2 eggs, one is never enough. S&P and a dollop of butter. Buttered toast is the only thing and it definately has to be in a mug as 2 eggs don't fit in a teacup, In fact my H and I have specific mugs that are for egg in a cup.

I have heard it also being called "Chuckie Egg"....

J

• Daydreamer
    Beginner
    Daydreamer ·
    • Hide content

I loved egg in a cup when I was younger. When I told my H about it, he thought it was just weird! I told him it just makes sense, why have an egg in an egg cup, you can't get to the insides probably and it's not as nice as when it's all mash up ?

For me, it has to be hard boiled egg, all mashed up with loads of butter, salt and a bit of pepper. Delish!

• Daydreamer
    Beginner
    Daydreamer ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Very very true!

• Tillybean
    Tillybean ·
    • Hide content

I hate egg in a cup. I was force fed it as a child and it made my stomach turn then, and it still does. The whole runny warm egg, butter and pepper - gads. Nasty!! Ha ha.

I love eggs, but those pesky yolks have to be completely solid - any sign of a "run" and I have to send them back.

My mums favourite tea of all time - two eggs fried with chips to dip in the runny yolks. Just the thought of it is making me queasy. My favourite of all time, before the wheat allergy thing, is fish finger sandwiches smooshed onto plastic white bread with a sprinkle of salt, some vinegar and the bread with lashings of butter. Oh my......!!!

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

This has made me really hungry. At least I now know what I'll be having for tea tonight!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics