Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Darren @ Hitched
Beginner August 2015

hitched.co.uk forum announcement

Darren @ Hitched, 4 of August of 2011 at 10:32 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hitched.co.uk is the UK's biggest and longest running wedding website. We have been around since 1997 and the site/company has grown from a hobby to a very influencial UK wedding business. We are proud of the company and the help and guidance it provides for wedding planning couples and their guests.

Sometimes, as with any business, we face issues and we have to react accordingly. We are constantly changing and improvng the site and therefore we are bound to find instances where the changes we make cause problems that we haven't foreseen. This is simply a small price to pay for moving the site forward and whilst one 'step back' is not ideal, the 9 steps forward are worth it. If you compare the content and functionality of the site today to a month, a year or 5 years ago you would see a massive difference.

Every so often (and it has probably been a couple of years now since the last time) I do find that I have to come onto the forum and remind the users of it about why it is here and what its function is. Sadly, following some recent activity, the time has come again...

So first thngs first...

hitched.co.uk is a wedding planning website. Please note the term "wedding planning" and "website". It is not just a forum. The forum does not generate revenue for us and by the time we take into account the running costs of it, it is a large expense. Despite common belief, the creative banners that you see running within the forum do not cover the running costs of it. The forum is there for 2 reasons:

1. Firstly it is there for brides to be (and grooms of course) to help to support one another through their wedding planning.
  2. Secondly it is there to feed brides and grooms through to the rest of the site and make use of the other services that we offer which do in turn generate revenue.

For the vast majority of posts/threads, they are supportive and provide amazing help to the people involved.

For the 'married' brides and grooms out there that come back to hitched after their wedding day, your advice, support and experience is often invaluable to those brides who are seeking help and we (and they) greatly value your input.

What the hitched.co.uk forum is not...

• Our forum is not a hunting ground for people to air their personal arguments or track down people to have dissagreements with.
  • The hitched.co.uk forum is not an advertising board. If you are in the wedding business and want to advertise with us, we'd be delighted to help you. Incidentally, the companies that do advertise with us return year after year after year to repeat their advertising with a repeat business rate of in excess of 95%. So if you do want to move your wedding business on, contact us (see https://www.hitched.co.uk/suppliers/i-want-to-be-listed.aspx)
  • We are not a site/forum that accepts 'spammers' and will remove spam immediately we are made aware of it
  • A site that condones or indeed tolerates bullying of any kind.
  • A site thatt allows vindictive or nasty posts to be placed upon the site regardless of the reason or poster. With this point in particular in mind, please note that anyone posting anything that we consider falling into that category or if we find anyone deliberately starting threads that are going to incite unsuitable responses will be immediately removed from this forum and suspended indefinitely. Anyone using unnecessary swearing or politically incorrect content will be treated in exactly the same way.

For the most part, hitched is a happy place that helps and supports everyone however their have been a recent run of posts that have lead us to have to post this thread.

Please think before posting comments that you know are going to cause problems and save us having to enforce the suspension of your rights of access to the site.

Thanks and happy hitching,

Darren

hitched.co.uk

darren.noel@hitched.co.uk

10 replies

Latest activity by marrygirls, 17 of September of 2011 at 12:49
  • Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Darren,

Can you let us know why the innocuous post by LisaLouLou that degenerated appallingly yesterday was not pulled when it was reported to mods early afternoon yesterday, please?

Thank you.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

WSS!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

WTS!

• Darren @ Hitched
    Beginner August 2015
    Darren @ Hitched ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I will reply to this particular question but please do not through another 100 questions at me and always expect an answer... Hopefully the response below will explain why I cannot answer every question....

As I explained, hitched.co.uk is a running business and we attempt to stay on top of any forum related issues as much as we can. As soon as we are made aware of a thread in the forum that has the potential to cause issues we look into it. That being said, we are not available 24/7/365. We have a business to run and sometimes find ourselves out of touch for an hour or 2 or sometimes even more.

When we do investigate a thread, we consider a whole lot of individual elements before deciding upon the action to take. Sometimes, just deleting a thread can produce the opposite effect to that which we intend. We sometimes delete immediately, sometimes do not delete at all, sometimes remove a comment from a thread and sometimes wait to see if the thread calms down and resolves itself before taking any action. When deciding which of these actions to take, we do so with the best interests of everyone in mind.

One final comment on this is that every single 'report' that is made to us about a thread is investigated accordingly and even though sometimes action may not appear to be taken, it doesn't mean we have not looked into it. Sometimes, for reasons I don;t need to go into, the action we take may appear to be late in happening but some of the action, you as forum users may not actually notice.

Thanks,

Darren

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

If you need extra volunteer helpers to moderate the forum, you only have to ask.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for responding.

I appreciate you cannot be expected to respond to reports immediately but given the number of people who have said they report it (I'm betting there are more) and several of the figures involved, it was only going to go one way. It saddens me that people have the forethought to report offensive posts, at the time they are escalating and beyond, but it takes almost 24 hours for them to be removed.

I'd like to think that, with hindsight at the very least, you'd have removed the thread when you were first asked to then Sherrie wouldn't have been forced into the admission she made.

• Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Especially as the thread was locked before it was deleted....

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Would happily be a mod- alongside AJ ?

• P
    Beginner
    patrickbarry ·
    • Hide content

Darren, can you explain why my post regarding negative feedback of Berketex (one of your advertisers) has been removed? It had been removed alltogether within half an hour of posting, and had already garnered support of the critiscisms i raised regarding your policy on negative feedback. I have seperatly asked you/Hitched.co.uk directly to provide me with your site and forum rules, to help me better understand why you are seemingly so keen to prevent any negative feedback about your prefferred suppliers. I have not yet recieved a response to that one?

• M
    Beginner April 2012
    marrygirls ·
    • Hide content

?admire

• M
    Beginner April 2012
    marrygirls ·
    • Hide content

Good a company profile, as well as a good enterprise culture, everyone can learn and share

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics