Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Danielle
Beginner July 2024 Cheshire

Hog roast

Danielle, 15 of January of 2023 at 20:40 Posted on Planning 0 19
Hi has anyone had or been to a wedding where they've had a hog roast and relaxed vibe rather than 3 3 course meal?

19 replies

Latest activity by Danielle, 21 of January of 2023 at 18:34
  • H
    Beginner February 2025 Cheshire
    HappyRedConfetti9929 ·
    • Hide content

We're planning to have a hog roast as our evening food instead of a buffet. It was one of the options on the list.

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We're thinking of having canapés and cocktails and a hog roast a bit later on. Just really chilled and relaxed no 3 course meal or speeches x
  • H
    Beginner February 2025 Cheshire
    HappyRedConfetti9929 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think it depends how long your day would be really. Sounds nice either way! x
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Our friends had one and it was kind of relaxed, they had tables for everyone to sit and eat at, but there was a huge queue to get the food, which ran out as they did it buffet style so no portion control. I think it is a great idea but you need to consider a caterer who will serve for you so you get control on portion and they are likely to be quicker as will have a couple of servers ( i would insist on that), I would ensure that they can serve all guests in a set time as you could have long gaps and people finished before others have got food. With the sit down meal you normally get everyone served in 5 mins as all the food is pre plated so as long as you have enough servers it is much quicker,

If you go ahead just consider the logistics, in hindsight my friend should maybe have sent people up table by table to get food, so less standing around, at least if you are sat at a table waiting ou can chat to other guests more easily.

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Charlotte thanks for your message previous experiences help a lot, the venue will serve the hog roast and the sides so hope that will eliminate the greedy ones Smiley smile and we will cater for the correct amount so it wouldn't matter if people didn't join the queue straight away save the standing around xx
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    We are having hog roast with sides at 7pm. Canapés and welcome drinks before. We are still having set tables and a table plan. The venue will organise each table going up for food.
    To be honest, we decided on a hog roast because it was more relaxed and cheaper- which for us meant more guests!! We needed a minimum of 70 for a hog.
    As piggy is later, our wedding is 330pm.
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh thanks Emily this makes me feel better that other girls are doing the same as us! Yes ours is min of 80 which is fine as we have so many family and friends to invite. I'm thinking of binning the table plan and that as it's a stress I don't want lol I'm hoping the weathers nice so we can all be outside enjoying a pig a prosecco and the sunshine 😄 xxx
  • Emily
    Dedicated February 2023 Hertfordshire
    Emily ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    So funny you mentioned table planning- we were just talking about that when your reply came in! We are thinking we need a plan as we our families have never met (!!!!) so want to mix it up a bit. We think a plan may mean people have to talk to different people..... we are also having wedding cake as our dessert.
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes that sounds like a great idea to be fair, I think after a few proseccos ours will mingle haha! Yes I think we will do cake for desert maybe a doughnut wall if I can be bothered haha xx
  • A
    Dedicated March 2024 Essex
    Alison ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Word to the wise about not having a table plan…

It’s fine if you have more seats than people. At my my cousin’s wedding last year they hired an entire pub so we had the whole pub garden and you could sit wherever. If there are only going to be 80 seats for your 80 guests then not having a table plan is a nightmare because people don’t know where to sit, families/couples/friend groups might get split up or faff about who sits with whom and it’s difficult for guests who don’t know many people to know where to sit
  • Z
    Beginner July 2025 Kent
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    We’ve been to 2, and most of it was left as lots of people didn’t like pork it was such a waste sadly. We found pizza or burger seemed to be most popular
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Weather depending it will be outside so that shouldn't be an issue
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We had one for my daughters christening and most of it went, lots of the same guests so hopefully that will be okay Smiley smile
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I would second that, I don't eat pork for religious reasons and went to a wedding with Hog roast and they had no vegetarian options so ended up at the petrol station getting a load of snack sin the break! You need to consider having a small amount of an alternative just in case or get peoples confirmation before hand

• Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes there will be a veggie option 😀
  • Lydia
    Beginner May 2023 Derbyshire
    Lydia ·
    • Hide content
    We’re not having a hog roast, but instead are having afternoon tea and then a pizza van for our relaxed rustic wedding.
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We had afternoon tea at my cousins and they must have prepared it the previous day curly sandwiches it wasn't great so please make sure you tell your venue to ensure its all fresh the bride was so disappointed it was such a shame xx
  • Lydia
    Beginner May 2023 Derbyshire
    Lydia ·
    • Hide content
    Gosh, that was sad for you all. Luckily, ours is being done through a friend and we are having ours set out on cake plates on the day. It’s a tipi wedding so will be very chilled and our supplier will be there the whole day. I’m sure the food won’t be curled up and I’m looking forward to it. 😊
  • Danielle
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Good I'm glad for you xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics