Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

50's pin up bride
Beginner July 2012

Hog Roast cost - what to include? Also drink quantities?

50's pin up bride, 25 January, 2012 at 21:24 Posted on Planning 0 4

We'd like a hog roast for our evening reception. We estimate at having about 110 guests for this part of the day, and are trying to work out budgets.

We'd obviously need the meat, stuffing and hopefully crackling, bread rolls and apple sauce but what else? Potatoes - jackets? Other? Salads? Couscous? Quantities?

We've been offered free use of a hog roast machine, and the owner of it uses it in conjunction with a butcher who will prepare and roast the pig for us, then it'd be transported to the venue on the machine, and kept warm there prior to serving. We're waiting for quotes from him for the cost of hog and prep, but as we would also have to provide all the extras (ie bread and sides) I thought I ought to do some budgeting - it may work out cheaper to pay a company to come in and do the lot ? I literally have no idea what is 'normal' for a hog roast for this quantity!

I'm also starting to think about evening drinks. I don't know whether to provide a certain amount FOC and also invite guests to bring their own, or pay to have a bar (the venue doesn't have it's own bar, although it does have the appropriate licence if we choose to get a bar in). We definitely want some kind of free drink as guests come in, as a minimum (possibly bucks fizz, a favourite of H2Bs!) but haven't thought beyond that.

Any advice appreciated!

4 replies

Latest activity by kittypuss85, 26 January, 2012 at 18:02
  • P
    Beginner June 2012
    Pockers ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if this helps but our hog for 120 people was originally 14.50 per person. We knocked them down to 8.50 pp and includes rolls apple sauce 3 salads (coleslaw, potato salad and a green salad)

BYO sounds like a good idea but might be more hassle than it's worth. What if some don't bring enough etc or some bring so much that it all get's out of hand (Probably would with my family anyway!). Do you pay to get a bar in then your guests also pay for the drinks?? Not sure how it works?

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Yes if we paid for a bar it would be a set fee for their service (and I imagine use of glasses etc) but guests would have to buy their own drinks. I have to say every wedding I've been to had a bar that guests had to buy their own drinks at (often at extortionate prices in hotels etc!) and I always thought how nice it would be, as a guest, to be allowed to BYO favourite drink. However, both H2B's family and my own family think it's a bit risky and that guests will have enough to think about without stocking up on drinks too!

Local hog roast events (ie some 'main event', usually with live music, plus hog roast) usually sell tickets for around £10 per person so I was imagining that the base cost for the hog roast would be around £7 but even that would be totally unaffordable (we're also having a wedding breakfast earlier in the day at £26.50 a head plus drinks on top) so maybe a DIY will be a massive saving!!

• JulyBride81
    Beginner July 2012
    JulyBride81 ·
    • Hide content

I have found a guy who will provide us with the hog, stuffing, apple sauce, napkins and 120 rolls and a chef to cook and carve and it is costing us £350.

I will be doing my own salad (I plan on making potato salad, pasta salad, caprese salad and a green leaf salad) and don't think that will cost more than £50

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

July bride, that is more what I was thinking! I have totted up approximate costs for 120 rolls plus 3 different types of (homemade) salad and plnety of apple sauce and it seems to come to about £60 tops.

Just waiting to find out how much the prepared hog would be, but if it's £240 or less we're onto a major winner (had budgeted £400 excl. drinks but have overspent elsewhere so the cheaper the better!)

• K
    Beginner July 2012
    kittypuss85 ·
    • Hide content

For our hog roast we are having for 100ish people

The pig, 6to8 chickens, sauces, rolls, crackling, stuffing, 3 salads, vegetarian options, pasta and rice, set up and served for nearly £1000 - but this is by far the cheapest quote we had for our area.

We considered doing it ourself - but it was the hassle of having someone to serve, make sure it was cooked etc etc

Our bar though is free as we are having over 80 paying guests

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics