Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

shoegal01
Beginner October 2010

Hog Roast for evening buffet issues

shoegal01, 13 of August of 2009 at 16:15 Posted on Planning 0 16

This is what we are having and its costing a fair bit per head

there will also be salad but thats it

We are going to be having about 60 extra guests to the evening that are not invited to the day

A few are vegitarians and a few are muslim (there cannot have pork)

Would you provide a alternative or would you assume people will have eaten before a 7pm reception?

If you were just going to the reception would you expect to get fed?

16 replies

Latest activity by busybee29, 15 of August of 2009 at 11:56
  • tempting-propositions
    Beginner August 2008
    tempting-propositions ·
    • Hide content

Hi, personally I'd cater for at least half of the evening guests. We had a hog roast at night too, it went down a storm, as soon as everyone smelled it they were in there like a shot! If I go to an evening do, I'd kind of expect to be fed (though I may have something before just in case!)

I'm also a vegie, so from a vegie point, an alternative would be good. We had quorn sausages, but I knew there was 5 veggies coming, so only catered for those 5.

Hope it helps,

Michele

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

Not sure if a hog roast is a good idea if you are having muslims in attendance, even if you are offering alternatives. Some have very strong feelings about pigs. When I used to teach, some of the children wouldn't actually read the word 'pig' but would spell it out as pee eye gee....they got really good at saying it quickly! Mind you....times change and I am talking a fair few years ago here.

• AliLindsey
    Beginner November 2009
    AliLindsey ·
    • Hide content

Definitely cater for veggies! 7 isn't that late, most people have dinner around then, so I don't think you can assume they've eaten already.

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

In answer to the 2 questions

1. Yes I would, you're inviting your friends to a party and it's expected that there will be some kind of nibbles even if it's a basic buffet

2. Yes I definitely would prefer an alternative - how would you feel if you couldn't eat when everyone else was stuffing their faces? I wouldn't assume at all, it's still nice to provide your guests with the full party experience.

I'm afraid you'll have to get some extra veggie catering in.

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hardly think she should change her whole plans for the evening for the sake of a couple of guests.

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

Hey Shoey..

Well I am having a hog roast in the evening too - think we have a few vegetable-arians coming and also very fussy eaters so going to see if we can get a veggie option/ some chickeny thingies as part of the deal.

I would definitely at least do something to cater for the non hoggers and your Muslim friends as it would be a bit rubbish if they had nothing to eat and had to watch everyone else chow down and they went hungry. (If it was me in their position I'd probably eat my arm/ bribe a designated driver to take me to McDonalds).

If you went to a wedding reception and all that was on offer was something you didn't eat I'm sure you'd be a bit miffed?!

Hope this helps!

x

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

Spangles - the only thing I don't like is celery so unless I was at a wedding a the buffet was a table full of celery sticks I'd be fine ha ha ha ha but I see what your all saying! Sandy I don't think the Muslim guests are that strict that they would be upset- there are only about 7 of them so I won't be changing the whole buffet to suit them! I think I'll just ask the venue to do some veggie burgers and quiches or something so evwryones happy and full! Thanks

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

A Shoey - a girl after my own heart. Celery is pointless unless in minestrone soup! Ps. are they Louboutins in your pic - they are LUSH! x

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS and a doubt they would expect you too either! Just supply a veggie option and that would be fine. Something cheap like pasta or something?

• Spring
    Beginner February 2008
    Spring ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She should get them shouldn't she?

• S
    Beginner February 2010
    Serafina ·
    • Hide content

My sister had a hog roast at her wedding recently (and that was all that was provided for both day and evening guests). Alongside the hog she served a buffet of salads and quiche, including a veggie quiche.

Regarding Muslim guests- I don't think they'd expect pork not to be served, but you might want to consider locating the actual 'hog-roaster' somewhere where they don't have to look at a massive pig roasting away with an apple in it's mouth! (which is how my sister's one cooked!)

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

Celery should be against the law it's so wrong (except in minestrone soup ha ha ) spangles they are indeed CL's and arnt they the most gawjus pair you've ever seen?!? Spring-pack it in!!!! I can't have them, they cost the earth and if I did get them I'd want to wear them now and I'd look like a numpty wearing wedding shoes to work!!

• Finesse (HIB)
    Finesse (HIB) ·
    • Hide content

Hi ya

I've used hog roast a lot of times for the evening reception (including my own wedding) as it can work out to be a fraction of the cost of having a buffet and is a real talking point. I personally love them. However I don't do it unless I can bring in my own supplier as hotels/venues charge way over the odds so make sure you're not paying over the odds.

For the vegetarians I've arranged a small bbq which has vegetable kebabs or even quorn fillets to be used in the same baps as the hog roast, not many but enough for a dozen or so. Alternatively just have a good selection of salads, so maybe a pasta salad, potatoe salad and tomato salad (all veggie) which will be enough to fill their tummies.

Ruth

x

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

The shoes are indeeed gaawjus but I'm sure they cost the equivilent of a small country's national debt...

Alternatives:

• Sell a vital organ/ Grandparent on the bay of E to fund said boootiful shoes
    • Buy copycat ones/ get them made and coat the soles in red nail varnish
    • Have hypnotherapy to forget about the shoes
    • Marry a multi billionnaire with a medical condition who can fund your shoes - have a quickie wedding then once he departs you are free to marry your intended.

Oh and once you wear them for your wedding you can wear them loads if you dye them?

On the original subject of Hoggies - our venue has quoted us £695 for a hog which would feed 100 - 120 but includes an old school sweet shop? I think this is a wee bit 'spensive? x

• F
    Beginner March 2010
    francinesmith ·
    • Hide content

That sounds like a bargain for the hog roast- mine is £16.95 pp including a salad thingy Smiley smile

• busybee29
    Beginner July 2010
    busybee29 ·
    • Hide content

Hi

Hog roast sounds very good, we saw one on holiday and it looked great and smelled lovely.

As an evening guest i would assume there would be a cold buffett. I have some friends who are muslim and they will be at our reception. We have arranged for a veggie option or you could always see if you venue would provide some halal food for them. My friends dont even eat percy pigs sweets, so if it was me i would tell the what your planning and maybe arrange seating away from it. If they know its there they dont have to see or eat it.

As an evening guest i would assume there would be a buffett but nothing more than that

Kat

x x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics