Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Spangler
Beginner September 2010

Hog roast or fish and chips for evening guests? Opinions please!

Spangler, 16 November, 2009 at 19:24 Posted on Planning 0 14

OH and I are having a disagreement over what food we serve at the evening reception. The wedding breakfast is going to be a conventional 3 course sit down affair.

OH reeaaally wants a hog roast however I like the idea of having a posh fish and chips van (friend's BF owns a company that will do this). Some of our guests don't eat pork (one is Muslim and a few just don't like pork or they are veggie).

My argument is most people eat chips - and we might get a discount if my friend's BF can do it - however OH has always wanted the hog...

What do you all think?? x

14 replies

Latest activity by HatTrick, 16 November, 2009 at 23:38
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Hide content

Hmm - I love hog roasts so my vote would be for that. And if your OH has always wanted it, it would sway my vote.

But... if you can get a discount, the chip van would be appealing. Our mates had this last year and it was a great success.

Tricky! And my post hasn't really helped much has it ?

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I'm with your OH, I love the idea of a hog roast and wanted one at our wedding but OH not keen. I'm a veggie so wouldn't have eaten it anyway.

• J
    Beginner December 2011
    jandr ·
    • Hide content

Personally, i'd have the hog roast, mainly because i have an unhealthy obsession of apple sauce and crackling, and i hate fish.

But, if you have fish and chip 'contacts', that makes sense too! I always thought it seemed a pretty cool idea, i wish i liked fish and chips! The issue with your Muslim guests is an important one too.

• Hugo Brambles
    Beginner August 2002
    Hugo Brambles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not if it's only one ? I assume there'd be a choice for veggies/people who didn't eat pork anyway.

For me it would boil down to budget and how important food was to the pair of you. In other words - pick your battles lol! X

• L
    Beginner April 2011
    loopyjennie ·
    • Hide content

Id have either... we are hoping to have fish and chips, pie and chips or sausage and chips at our wedding breakfast (mainly cause they all are english and we are getting married on st george's day)

hth

• Kim31
    Kim31 ·
    • Hide content

I like the thought of a a fish a chips van! But a hog roast sounds fab. Whats the cheapest?

Kim x

• ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

What about a lamb roast? I could ask my parents if they'll sell you a cheap organic lamb ?

(I can't find you on FB?!)

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for all your opinions ladies! OLL I've deleted meself off FB for a little while - was getting a tad political with a few people and was getting fed up of it! Might venture back at some point but looong story as to why I've deleted my account (shan't bore you with it!) Lamb roast is a good idea too OLL Smiley smile x

Hog roast chappy said he would do veggie and fish BBQ alternatives for non piggy eaters but when my friend suggested the chish & fip van I LOVED it as I haven't been to a wedding that's had one. It might not happen as the fish and chip van might be at Bestival that day.

• The Sock Chicken
    Beginner August 2010
    The Sock Chicken ·
    • Hide content

Although I love the idea of fish & chips, I would have to say hog roast is a better option. Just to throw in some more confusion - I always liked the idea of bacon and sausage butties.

• missdeedee
    Beginner April 2010
    missdeedee ·
    • Hide content

I think Im in the minority here, but out of the two it would definately be fish and chips for me. Love love love them, would pick it everytime ? x

• pink alien
    Beginner May 2008
    pink alien ·
    • Hide content

We had a hog roast and veggie paella and everyone loved it!

• Mitzi50
    Beginner June 2010
    Mitzi50 ·
    • Hide content

Im having a hog roast at my wedding so my vote is biased!

• Beccy Sprout
    Beginner
    Beccy Sprout ·
    • Hide content

Hog roast, definitely. It's the one thing I wish we could have given our guests in the evening.

• Blackkat
    Beginner July 2008
    Blackkat ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of a fish & chip van & I'm afraid I'm 1 of those people that doesn't like eating food that still looks like the animal (like fish with faces!) so I wouldn't like getting the meat.

Hard decsion to make, hope it works out

• HatTrick
    Beginner September 2010
    HatTrick ·
    • Hide content

Hi Spangles, was wondering where you were hiding. Thought you had deleted me on FB after wondering who is this randomer in my freinds list ?

I've been a veggie for almost a year now, but before that I used to eat meat every day and enjoy it. I wouldn't have eaten a hog roast, the idea of a likkle piggy with its head on would just put me right off! So I vote for fish and chips. But... for all of you who have stronger stomachs I'm sure a hog roast would be lovely.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics