Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

gsijane
Beginner September 2011

Hog Roasts at weddings

gsijane, 15 November, 2010 at 21:55 Posted on Planning 0 27

Hi Ladies,

Me and my OH are thinking of having a hog roast at our reception. We are seeing a catering company on Wednesday. I'm just wondering if any of you guys have had this at your wedding or been to a wedding with one. Also what your thoughts are of this!!

Cheers

27 replies

Latest activity by Chippers12, 16 November, 2010 at 18:42
  • avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea, and considered it for mine until we found our venue which was an amazing offer for the sit down meal. Had we not found it we would probably have gone for a hogroast x

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Our venue offers a hog or lamb roast, and we were very tempted but we know some of our guests wouldn't eat one of the options - and as you can only have one we settled for plan B which was a barbecue with 4 options from 7 they offer so it should suit everyone. We also get salad, dips and breads with it.

The only problem I could think with either bbq or hog roast of is the possible risk of grease (as I'm sure someone's going to wipe their hands on their shirt without thinking) and dripping ketchup or mustard down the shirt. I plan to take several spare shirts with me on the day "just in case" but that's not quite so easy for the bride to have spare dresses...

• AllyMcBear
    Beginner June 2012
    AllyMcBear ·
    • Hide content

Hi there, I have been to a 3 weddings (at the same venue) all with hog roasts and they are FANTASTIC.

Admitidly after having the meal you were not really ready for it, but it still tasted wow. Unfortunately I

cannot afford that venue but if we did then there is no way that I could not have it.

A big thumbs up from me - go for it Smiley smile

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That could happen with finger buffet too though, egg mayonnaise/prawn sandwich filling, coated chicken etc...I can guarantee it would happen to me, I practically need a bib when I eat I'm so clumsy!

We have been to a wedding with a hog roast and it was lovely, the chef cooked some chicken too for those who didn't eat pork, and there was lots of variety with the salads. Personally, we're having a BBQ, mainly because the last 2 weddings we've been to have had a hog, plus one of those was at our venue so we fancied a change. I say go for it!

• cola
    Beginner September 2010
    cola ·
    • Hide content

A few hitchers had hog roast last year, i personally think they are a great idea.

• NathalieSB
    NathalieSB ·
    • Hide content

I had a hog roast and the some of the guests who got married the following year used the same company, they thought that it was so good. The smell of the roast was amazing as all the guests approached. Just remember to have something available for any vegetarians you might have!

• atlonglast
    Beginner November 2010
    atlonglast ·
    • Hide content

I love the idea of a hog roast outside. But we are having a winter wedding with a sit down meal. Slightly OT but we have just got our piggy back form the slaughter house. Cant wait for Sunday dinner...yummy!

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    amythest76 ·
    • Hide content

We are having a hog roast and a veggie paella for the non meat eaters!!

our dessert option is an ice cream cart with 6 flavours serving unlimited ice cream for 3 hrs!

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content

A friends wedding i went to had a hog roast and it was fab! Loved it and they also had a big vegetarian paella for vegetarians all done by the same company.

• D
    Beginner April 2013
    dangriffin123 ·
    • Hide content

I did not experience attending a wedding reception with hog roasts as food. But your idea is very nice. Stick with what you plan.

• Wedding Photographer
    Wedding Photographer ·
    • Hide content

Hog roasts are great

but..

- you need lots of guests - they are used for feeding 100's of people

- they dont really produce beautifully plated food

• TheNinjaPigeon
    Beginner January 2011
    TheNinjaPigeon ·
    • Hide content

We are having a hog roast for the main course of our wedding breakfast. Our reception room looks out to an open space by the lake so we thought it would be different. Our friends had one gor the evening and it was delicious.

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

A few weddings I have done & attended have hadHog Roasts & they have gone down really well. One didn't have the hog roast but had chicken, they had a spit full of chickens & that went down really well too as a lot of people don't ike Pork.

• lovelygirl
    Beginner August 2011
    lovelygirl ·
    • Hide content

We are having a hogroast as the main meal, not the evening buffet, We only have 50 meat eaters, but we are having our hogroast done by a retired butcher so we are having half a pig and an extra leg. We are having quiches for the vegetarians and the non pork eaters. A word of warning - I have heard of a few hograsts where the meat has not been cooked all the way through, this was by a catering company. (if possible i would go on word of mouth recommendations) We went with our retired butcher because we have known him over 20 years and my parents have been to several of his hog roasts and they have always been cooked to perfection. As we are not using a catering company we are having to sort out our linen and the salads will be a mixture of home prepared and waitrose entertaining. I think if you have a hog roast for the main event then you are aiming for an informal party rather than a formal do. For our evening buffet we are having cheese and bread, with pate, chutneys, pickles, etc etc

• COCOCHIQUITA1984
    Beginner
    COCOCHIQUITA1984 ·
    • Hide content

It's not my cup of tea to be honest mainly as I don't like the taste/texture of pork, however I think it's a great idea if you're looking to keep the costs down and you offer alternatives alongside it (like the spit roast chickens, veggie option, salads, pasta, rice etc) - this way it not only keeps the veggies happy, but also gives everyone something to fill their meal out, rather than just giving them a bun with a bit of meat x

• L
    Beginner June 2011
    little_miss ·
    • Hide content

We've been to at least one wedding with a hog roast and it was good. They had it as the main food so there was a bit of a queue at times but there were lots of options of salads which was good.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Our hotel's hog roast was the same price as a normal three course wedding breakfast. Outside caterers may work out cheaper though.

• Pheonix
    Beginner August 2011
    Pheonix ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I wanted one for our evening food, this is why oh said no!☹️

• E
    Beginner August 2011
    emmaloulou80 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a hog roast, and my MOH got married at the same venue as us last year and had one aswell - it was amazing, everybody loved it and it went down so well. Can't wait for ours!xx

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for all your comments!!

We're planning to have it as our wedding breakfast main meal, with a small buffet for later. We are still doing it as a sit down meal but tables will have to go up and get their pork.

I'm so glad that you all have loved the idea when you have been to other peoples weddings!! Where did the ice cream idea come from? Its brilliant!!!

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

We're having a hog roast for our main meal too. It worked out £10 cheaper per head than the sit down meal, but we've opted to keep the prices the same and have loads of alternatives to the hog for the vegetarian/Muslim/Jewish/don't-like-pork guests.

Everyone we've told so far is really excited about it, and both me and h2b LOVE hog roasts so we can't wait!

• Spangler
    Beginner September 2010
    Spangler ·
    • Hide content

We had a hog roast for our evening guests and it went down a storm. We also had salmon for non pork eaters - had no vegetarians so didn't provide a veggie option - just the pig, salmon, salad and potatoes.

If anyone is in Northants/ Bucks then I can highly recommend Robbie's Hog Roasts.

ETA: We had approx 120 people in total for the evening so got a whole pig and there was nothing left afterwards.

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I think a hog roast would be fab! Yum.

• Beckyv83
    Beginner September 2010
    Beckyv83 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi

Just be aware if you have strict muslims or Jews or a lot of muslims/Jews coming you may offend them with the fact that there is a Pig on a stick. It is not just the fact that they dont eat it some may be offended by the sight of it. You prob already know this, so please don't think i am being patronising!

We were thinking of having a hog roast in the evening but FIL is a muslim and so were some of the guests and this would have offended them. We did have pork on the main menu and that was no problem, but a whole pig would have been another story. Maybe you could just make people aware, then they can choose what they do.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for the heads up, but we've already run it by the guests who might have been offended and they're all fine about it. We don't seem to know any really hardcore Muslims/Jews or Vegetarians anyway so everyone's pretty relaxed. To be on the safe side, we're going to ask the caterers to cook and prepare it out of obvious sight (they have the facilities to do this and mentioned it when we first viewed the venue).

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    Chippers12 ·
    • Hide content

Hi ya, i think its a fab idea, me and my fella are getting married next July 2011 and were having a mobile BBQ and they do hog roast. They have a huge menu selection for us and provide us with all plates and cutlery, sauces and dips etc. They also do all the clearing up for us which is a bonus. Were eating at 6pm as were getting married in the afternoon so the company are also going to lay on some pickie foods for later on in the evening should our guests get the munchies. I'm really happy.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics